45 Million Pounds

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Bob_H
Site Admin
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

45 Million Pounds

Post by Bob_H » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:26 pm

No, it wasn't me. The most I've ever won on the lottery (in a syndicate!) is £130.

Got me thinking about what I'd do with such a large some though.

Down on St Annes sea front there is a largish plot of land for sale. My dream is to build a large hotel and call it 'Noahs Arc' to which all ex-members of the Regiment could stay free, or at least at a much-reduced rate. Of course I'd take all of the top floor for accommodation for me and my whole family, and I'd have a couple of parking spaces in the basement for my BMW and Linda's Skoda :D

How would you cope with such a large sum? :?:

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Re: 45 Million Pounds

Post by PINKY » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:37 pm

hi there,
I'd donate it to research and charities............ :wink: ............naa not really I'd move back to England and live in Bob's hotel for free,park the bentley and michelle's jag in the basement carpark and travel the world,oh yeah i would need to find boarding schools for 3 kids too.
atb
pinky 8)

Ged Preston
Service Details: 1967-1972 "A" Squadron 14/20th, Germany, Singapore, Johore Bahru(Jungle Warfare School), Borneo, Brunei and Northern Ireland.

Post by Ged Preston » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:00 pm

Yeah and what would you do about the begging letters uh! well I`d keep sending them out 8) :lol:

Ged
Officer Commanding 67/15 intake at Catterick you lot are a bloody shambles a complete waste of Government money.

Sheriff Marshall
Service Details: 1975 - 1997

Post by Sheriff Marshall » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:05 pm

I think I'd buy a better computer, then, I'd spend the rest of my life taunting bank managers, making them grovel for my money hehe
if nothing else I have my humor

Service Details: Jan 75 -- Aug 87 Herford Cyprus Bovington Hohne NI Catterick

Post by 27 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:06 pm

My mansions heating and hot water system would be supplied by a boiler heated up by burning begging letters 8) 8) 8) .

YOU SIGN PHIL JONES :-( :-( :-( WE SIGN KUN AGUERO :-) :-) :-)
C.T.I.D. :-) :-) :-) ⓜⓒⓕⓒ I WAS THERE WHEN WE WERE SHIT ¿? ¿? ¿?

Brian Hunter
Service Details: 1967 - 1973
B Squadron

Post by Brian Hunter » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:56 pm

A couple of million on wine, women and song - I would probably squander the rest :D :D :D :D :D :D
Ya can take lad out o' Preston, but ya can't take Preston out o' lad

Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Skype name: Brian Moulton

Post by Brian Moulton » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:22 pm

I would take great joy in answering the begging letters for a while (I would keep sending mine though).

You think I'm tight now, just see how tight I could be. Think I would have to write the wife and kids out of my will as well. In fact I would leave it all to myself !!

Might hire a hit man to rid the world of some undesirables (I'll leave it to you to decide who I might have wasted).

Leave the country as soon as possible. Somewhere nice and warm for the winter. Might take Larry back to Barbados and employ him as my butler. If he reads this I'll get a real kicking off him.

I would go so far as buying each and everyone of you (except Ged), half of lager at the next reunion.

Well, we can dream (Don't even do the lottery so there isn't much chance of any of the above happening).
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

If it's not broke ........ Mess about with it, until it is !!

Believe it or not. I'm not Jewish.
Just a very careful Christian with short arms and deep pockets !!

mitch5877
Service Details: 1963 to1988

Post by mitch5877 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:49 pm

Just remember Brian there are no pockets in shrouds

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:28 am

The best Ive done is in 95 5 numbers £2.225 and in 96 5 Nos £1,775 got me out of trouble both times.
A couple of mill would be a change of identity and bugger of.
Phil

corneydeb

Post by corneydeb » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:06 pm

Jd
The reason why the sums of money are so huge is because there are currently I believe 9 countries who take part in Euromillions i.e a couple of hundred million people play ,and all their stake money generates the pot.Given that the odds of winning the Euromillions are 76,275,360 to 1!! it,s no surprise that the pot accumalates so much.Imagine if you will for a laugh there are SEVENTY SIX MILLION TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY FIVE THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTY milk bottles laid out in a carpark and you have to guess which one has a golf ball in it! That's the scope of the problem .To put it in to perspective the normal lottery odds are less than 14 million to one ,and we have just had a double rollover ,i.e no one had won it the two previous games ,despite I'm sure for the first rollover people put extra money on to win.It is far harder to win the lottery than it was to win the football pools .When Richard Branson bid for the licence to run the lottery I was on his side ,so to speak I like the man ,however it has come to my attention recently that his application included a change to the lotto,changing it from a 6/49 to a 6/52 lottery game.So what I hear you say (only joking) it's ONLY 3 MORE NUMBERS ,and you'd be right ,but those 3 little numbers change the odds of winning from 14 million to 22 million!!.That said I still do the lottery ,because you never know.... :) :)

Chopper
Service Details: 24012331 W R Griffiths
August 1964 to August 1986***Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth,
Aldergrove, Belize, Middle Wallop, Herford, Hohne, Canada, Detmold, N. Ireland
Middle Wallop, Discharge.

Post by Chopper » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:21 pm

Solly,
It's good to see that you have not changed one little bit.
Chopper

Paul Keller
Service Details: Hohne Nov '78 till June '85, Catterick June '85 till June '87, with six months Belize, March '86 till Sept '86.
Sennelager, June 87 till March '88, March '88 till Oct '90,

Post by Paul Keller » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:03 am

I think i'd buy a luxury hotel, with all the luxuries of life that can ever be enjoyed and open it only twice a year.
Once to lock myself away at Xmas, in order to avoid the whole damn c*** of it all
and once for the Noahs Arc reunion, with everything free, (Yes Mr Woods sir, beer as well !!)
That way, even Pinky might turn up !!! (Not paying his f****ng flights though !!)
Then it's Trooper this, an Trooper that
And Trooper how's yer soul?
But it's "Hawks are bloody 'ero's"
When the tanks began to roll!

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:09 am

Paul
It might be cheaper to pay for his flights and let him pay for his own beer.
Phil

corneydeb

Post by corneydeb » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:44 pm

Sorry chaps I made a mistake saying Richard Branson was going to make it a 6/52 lotto game it was going to be a 6/53 game ,similar to the game in Florida , I was equally wrong with the lotto odds of hitting 6 out 6 it would have been slightly worse than the 22 million to 1 I first posted ,it would have been 22,957,480 to 1, just shy of 23 million to 1 . :oops: To be honest I'm not sure what I'd do ,see my kids straight ,they all attended university and accrued some large debts .I guess I'd move to the country ,buy a couple of houses in Spain and Florida for family use, see my brothers and sisters straight ,and one or two friends who are struggling ,and holiday alot.Alas I will never win the euromillions as I don't play that particular game, the odd's as I stated are far too high I'll just stick to the lottery ,I would be very happy with 3 or 4 million .I only play on Saturday anyway ,14 million to 1 sure beats 76 million to 1 anyday of the week. :)

corneydeb

Post by corneydeb » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:26 pm