Red Meat

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Red Meat

Post by Bill Bentley » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:22 am

I see that the WHO has recently decided that red meat is as dangerous as asbestos and smoking, holy cow, what next ?

I have known for ages that pig meat is bad for you, not just because of the disgusting way in which most pigs are kept or because of the cocktails of antibiotics and GM Soya and corns which they are fed, but also, because Mohammed has been telling us this for many hundreds of years.

Not much point in switching to white meat because It’s also common knowledge that all types of fowl are bad for you, again, primarily because of the disgusting way in which they are kept and fed.

No point either in switching to fish, the entire worlds stock of fish is contaminated with mercury. By all accounts the mercury is in our rain, caused by burning certain types of coal for the past couple of hundred years. Even the fish in remote mountain streams are contaminated !

This raises the question of: if eating any kind of fruit or veg can be safe, if the mercury is in our rain, which it is ! Not forgetting the endless amounts of pesticides and chemical fertilizers that the food industry drowns our crops in.

It seems to me that eating anything is as dangerous as having sex. Remember all of those horrid diseases that one could catch and pass on ? Though I don’t recall that knowing about it stopped anyone having sex.

It is remarkable that, in spite of all of these KILLERS, we humans continue, on average, to live longer and stay healthier and fitter for longer than at any time in history.

So, my conclusion: ‚eat your meat and beat your meat‘ and enjoy it while you still can :wink: .

Bob_H
Site Admin
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Re: Red Meat

Post by Bob_H » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:29 am

First it's eggs; then it's coffee, then it's chicken, then it's cakes, then it's orange juice, then it's fried food then white bread, tea, cereal, pulse - and on the list goes.

Variety is the solution. Not too much of any one thing. But then again, what is 'too much'?
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

rick aindow
Service Details: 1965 - 1980 started with C Sqn, went to A Sqn on promotion, finished in HQ Sqn Families Office. Postings inc. Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, NI, Tidworth, Herford, Various annual Snow Queens, 63 Army Youth Team, RAC Display Team, Hohne, Bovington

Post by rick aindow » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:39 pm

Too much chocolate is never enough!
From Brisbane Queensland, beautiful one day, perfect the next

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:19 pm

Ah the english language, I take it you meant:
Enough chocolate is never too much !
That's what comes of being down under for so long :lol: :lol:

All the best to you Rick,
... Annie is being very quiet, I've sent him a few e.mails but he has not replied, hope it's still just computer problems, have you been in contact lately ?

rick aindow
Service Details: 1965 - 1980 started with C Sqn, went to A Sqn on promotion, finished in HQ Sqn Families Office. Postings inc. Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, NI, Tidworth, Herford, Various annual Snow Queens, 63 Army Youth Team, RAC Display Team, Hohne, Bovington

Post by rick aindow » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:15 pm

Hi Bill, no, I meant it as written! It's probably not grammatically correct :twisted: :lol: haven't heard from Arnie for a while either? I think he's retired now s probably out fishing!
Best wishes, keep warm in your winter
Rick

Bob_H
Site Admin
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Post by Bob_H » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:35 am

I think Arnie might still be on a cruise ship somewhere.

Bob_H
Site Admin

Post by Bob_H » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:59 am

Rick, I recall you frying up some rare sirloin for us canoeists many moons ago (pity we had no onions :) ). These days sportsman bulk up on pasta!

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Post by Arnie » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:05 am

Hi Yall and Bill, managed to get over my computer problems but the new machine came with Windows 10. Anyone struggling with it has my sympathy. I had many of the windows 10 predecessor operating systems and they had a fairly good one in Windows 7. Then, while trying to compete with Apple, they brought out Windows 8. It nearly ruined them so they combined the best parts of 7 with the best parts of 8 or 8.1 (were there any) to create 10. It is good, providing you are able to get to know it, I am, slowly.
Agree with everything all correspondents have said regarding regarding the subject of which food to eat or not to eat.
Just a few days ago Brenda pointed out to me an item on Facebook highlighting the dangers of eating noodles. The 2 minute type. Absolutely fatal to eat them. I pointed out that they form a substantial part of my diet, but she persisted in warning me of the 'dangers'. I also pointed out that there are approx 1.3 Billion Chinese whose diet, in many cases, consisted solely of noodles. Nuff said. In my Hong Kong days I remember often being in Sha Tau Kok, which was a small fishing village at the Eastern end of the border with China, but now is all high-rise buildings, and at the docks which were lined with footpaths of trodden, sand used to be used for drying the fish in the sun. Everybody used to walk over them, but nobody minded as they were to be exported. The Asian grocery shops here in Australia still sell the same dried fish. I dont buy or eat them.
To continue the subject. I am 75 yrs old in a retirement village, and loving it, still hale and hearty despite eating everything on the 'banned' list, sometimes to excess, as my waistline will attest. I have no intention of changing the habits of a lifetime.
Just a footnote: Mohammad was not the first to ban pork, this was the rule with all Semmites, Arabs and Jews, who inhabited the Middleeast. If one thinks about it, a very good rule in that it is/was a meat that is very hard to preserve and if not preserved properly (Refrigerated, which in Biblical times they did not have) will have a devastating effect on your health.

My daughter lives in Wellington, NZ so went (opposite of go) the All Blacks

Arnie

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:31 pm

Hi all,

Arnie, good to hear that you are well in spite of your eating habits and the fact that you and Rick have been up-side-down for the past few decades. With regard to eating instant pasta and the fact that a billion Chinese eat simply tons of it reminds me of an old advert: 'Eat shit, ten billion flies can't be wrong' :lol:

Me being me, I still only eat carefully selected meats, the most of which we breed and slaughter ourselves along with the occasional game that falls into my sights. Put a nice 19 kg deer in the freezer recently and have just shared a very nice joint of wild boar. The freezer is also well stocked with lamb, rabbit, duck and chicken, so there is no shortage on selection either; but if they are all drinking rain water and that has mercury in it, perhaps that accounts for my increasing stupidity :( .

Presumably the same goes for fruit and vegetables, the mercury I mean, there's no way of excluding rain water from the end product. One hunter friend recently told us that one still can't eat game or pick wild mushrooms from certain regions in Europe because of Chernobyl ! I find this odd as the same regions practice industrial animal farming and produce much of our pork beef and milk.

In the report that I saw they said that the mercury gets into the rain by burning certain types of coal - smoke - washed back to earth by the rain. As this has been going on increasingly since the industrial revolution we must be pretty full of mercury by now.

Another report, from years ago, said that mercury in tooth fillings was a cause of migraine - headaches. Back then some people had all of their fillings removed / replaced and so were cured of their headaches. It seems that even tiny amounts of mercury can cause a very heavy reaction.

Looking back at history, one of the key aspects of previous civilizations was, as they developed, their version of industrialization which presumably always (?) involved burning fossil fuels. Could this have been a key element in their downfall ? There seems to be little doubt that ingesting mercury makes one increasingly stupid :shock: .

With regard to security at our place, I'm considering replacing the signs 'Beware of the dog' with 'free roaming pigs', that should keep Ali Baba and his mates out :lol: :lol: :lol: .

It does not seem that there is much point in being good anymore, at our age, so just enjoy whatever madness you get up to for as long as you can.

Bob_H
Site Admin

Post by Bob_H » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:57 pm

Arnie,

Off topic I know but Sha Tau Kok is one of the five official border crossings between Hong Kong and mainland China, the other four being Man Kam To, Lo Wu (we'll all remember that one), Shenzhen Bay and Lok Ma Chau.

When I first read your reply the name of Lai Chi Kok sprang to mind - then I remembered that that is where Linda and I used to live up in North Western Kowloon. Previously, when living in the Mess at Sek Kong, I was regularly entertained by Paddy Wilson - I'm sure you remember him :)

rick aindow

Post by rick aindow » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:31 pm

Hi Bob,

With regard to the steaks and the onion, do you remember trying to drawn an onion so we could buy one to go with the steaks, (we didn't know the Spanish for onion!) Our drawings were that good that the bar guy brought us out a lemon!!!!!!

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Post by Arnie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:53 am

Hi Bill, Bob and Rick,

to continue this disjointed thread, we seem to be in agreement as to food being (fat)al to us. Not too many centuries ago diet would have been a big contributor to the very low life expectancy of the general population. The elite who had a diet with plenty of variety lived, on the whole considerably longer. It seems to be all in the genes. Me, who was born at the beginning of WW11, was a scruffy, snotty nosed brat who went out playing in the morning and came home to a prefab in the evening dirty, full of cuts and abrasions but happy. I reckon in this time my body built its immune system and has served me throughout. Went into hospital at aged 4, tonsils out, 14, appendix out. Next time in hospital at 53 for a couple of days to have a myelogram(?) for a pinched nerve in the shoulder. Must have moved cos the photo did not come out or was blurred. Then in 1997 into the Sydney Eye Hospital to have a detached Retina welded back on.
Then a very very minor stroke in 2014, aged 74 caused by two heavy falls while playing with the grandkids in Brisbane. Never really grew up see. Only time I got the Flu was when the nurse in the medical centre here persuaded me, against my better judgement, to have a flu shot.
Your saying Bill about billions of flies implies directly to all us Sandgropers (name given by other Australians to Westtern Australians) that we are 'shit'. My understanding of the phrase means that WA is the place to be 'cos 10 billion flies cant be wrong'.
When I was into shooting in the '80s I used to go down to a Bunnings property SE of Perth, 68,000 acres of pine plantation. There the wild pigs were in plentiful supply. People said they were dangerous to eat cos they carried a certain virus, which is lucky cos we never saw one, never mind shot one. Jason my step-son once shot a kangaroo, again plentiful on the property. Me I contented myself potting beer cans off a log (the log was very dead after we finished shooting).
Bob, you bring back memories talking about the crossing points into China. Lo Wu was the most famous, being the crossing point on the Kowloon/Canton Railway line. Remember the sentry had a small cubicle on the end of the Bridge. Man Kam To was the road Crossing into China. Paddy Wilson and I were standing on the roof of the MKT Police Station when the limousines were driven across in preparation for Tricky Dickie's visit due in 1972.
Incidentally, has anyone heard of or knows the whereabouts of Paddy. The Int Corps doesn't have a NOAHS ARC type web page and the Int Corps Association are very hush hush about the whereabouts of ex-members. I would like to exchange memories with him.
Rick
Do you get headaches being upside down all the time? Must be brain dead as I do not suffer from headaches and never have. No Brain no Pain.

Bob_H
Site Admin

Post by Bob_H » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:48 am

rick aindow wrote:Hi Bob,
With regard to the steaks and the onion, do you remember trying to drawn an onion so we could buy one to go with the steaks, (we didn't know the Spanish for onion!) Our drawings were that good that the bar guy brought us out a lemon!!!!!!
... and a coconut :)

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:23 pm

That was an enjoyable read Arnie.

You can certainly keep the flies ! Creepies, biters and stingers were, along with earthquakes, volcanoes and extreme weather, the reasons why I decided to stay in Europe rather than go somewhere exotic. I've alway been a willing fighter but, following my school years and many a good hiding from older kids, have since always been wise enough to weigh up my opponents well enough to make the right decision 'fight or avoid the confrontation'. During my many adventures since I have experienced an earthquake and been up a active volcano and am utterly convinced that they make bad neighbours. Creepies, biters and stinger are equally horrible companions. No thanks !

As for Hong Kong, it was always a posting that I felt unlucky to have missed. Following JL's, many of my good friends went to B Sqn while I went to HQ Sqn in Tidworth. Other than fighting the crazy Jocks in the neighbouring barracks I should have been spared active service as I was still not 18. As fortune would have it, while on an exercise with John Cleverly, we (I believe) had the dubious honour of being the first military unit in England (during that phase of the never ending conflict) to be attacked by the IRA. Luckily we were only set on fire while asleep, I was first awoken by the tyres of the Saracen exploding which also caused someone to ring the Fire Brigade, who then helped us to put out the fire which had engulfed the attached tent. Luckily there was no further physical attack as we had all had enough to drink and would have made easy targets. It certainly was a lesson that I learned from, never drop your guard !

A couple of years later I made it to Malaya and Singapore and still later to Brunei and, after leaving the army, Taiwan via mainland China, so I got a taste of what you all enjoyed; the Far East is certainly enchanting ! I also think that it was a question of 'that moment in time' when Sterling was still worth something and we Brits were respected, ah, the good old days ... when a good steak was enjoyable and healthy !