Peter Wilde

Please DO NOT raise New Bereavements in this Forum, inform Admin of the details: hussar1420@gmail.com
Bob_H
Site Admin
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Peter Wilde

Post by Bob_H » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:08 am

We've received the following sad news:
Dear Sir,

I am writing to tell you that my father, Peter Edward Wilde, who served with the 14th/20th Kings Hussars in Detmold, Germany 1958-1961, passed away on January 2nd, 2015. I suspect he may have been a member of the Noah's Arc Club (cf. The Peter Wilde photo collection).
Peter (2nd left, top row)
peterwilde.jpg
peterwilde.jpg (50.54 KiB) Viewed 4652 times
We offer our sincere condolences

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Re: Peter Wilde

Post by Bill Bentley » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:47 am

I took the opportunity to look at the 'Peter Wild Collection'. As scruffy a bunch of soldiers as any you could meet on any training area. But on the parade ground as smart as a shiny sixpence. I was intrested to see that every soldier carried a pistol / revolver, now who can tell us why that was and what they were ?

I'm guessing that Peter would have known Col. Dan as a 2nd Lt. and now they are stagging on, again together. No doubt Col. Dan will be sharing a dram of coffee with Peter as I write these words.

RiP Peter, you are in good company.

SteveR
Service Details: 1984 till 1991
1984 JLR RAC
1986 Hohne
1987 Catterick
1988 Sennelager
1989 Munster

Post by SteveR » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:19 pm

RIP Peter, My deepest condolences.
It's better to burn out than to fade away...........

Mac McNulty
Site Admin
Service Details: January 1972 - August 1994

Post by Mac McNulty » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:25 pm

RIP Peter

My condolences to Peter's Family and Friends

Mac

Paul Keller
Service Details: Hohne Nov '78 till June '85, Catterick June '85 till June '87, with six months Belize, March '86 till Sept '86.
Sennelager, June 87 till March '88, March '88 till Oct '90,

Post by Paul Keller » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:14 pm

RIP Peter, condolences to his family
Then it's Trooper this, an Trooper that
And Trooper how's yer soul?
But it's "Hawks are bloody 'ero's"
When the tanks began to roll!

xnsman
Service Details: National Service May 52-54. 65th.TR. Catterick. To Regt. at Crookham Sept. 52. To Sabratha Oct. 52. To Bovington for demob May 54. To Scottish Horse(T.A.) May 54.

Post by xnsman » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:50 pm

In reply to Bill Bentley's remarks re the pistols worn by each man, they were the personal weapons issued at that time, and would be equivalent to later pictures of parades where each man is carrying a sub-machine gun.
The pistols were Enfield .38 calibre double-action (hammerless) models, and the more cynical amongst us said they were issued to tank crew in case you were trapped inside the turret and the vehicle was brewing up! Having a pistol as a personal weapon meant ,of course, that pistol drill had to be practised for parades, guard-mounting etc.

Peter Law

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:21 pm

Many thanks for the information Peter,

I am a fan of handguns and can understand the reasons for 'hammerless' in the G.I. version. I had a cracking Webbly .38, single and double action, 'feather light' in the second action and so following an an 'accidental cocking', which would be all too easy (with a hammer) in an armoured vehicle, it would have been all too easy to have an A.D. ... and that inside a AFV, ouch !

I can certainly understand the humour of the men of those times ... did they have a special silver bullet ? :lol:

The SMG was not an improvement on a hand-gun. Other than being much too large and dangerous to have inside and so, if I recall rightly, was deposited in the bins outside and so useless should one have to exit under enemy fire ! Also, I once had one run away on me, (fire an automatic burst until the magazine is empty) quite a shock when you think it's on 'R' ... and that during a live firing exercise with people right, left and in front of me ! Years later I was in an LCU when somebody had an A.D. with his SMG, cocked by another persons bergan (back-pack) luckily it did not 'run away' and only fired a single round, even so two men were wounded. The thought of this happening inside an AFV makes my skin itch.

Best regards and thanks again, Bill Bentley

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Post by PINKY » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:04 am

RIP Peter, Deepest condolences to his family and friends.
Hussar
Pinky

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:45 am

RIP Peter

williamo
Service Details: Regimental Band.
1951-1964.
Crookham,Sabratha,Kneller Hall, Piddlehinton, Munster, Hohne, Berlin, Bengazi, Bovington.

Post by williamo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:10 pm

Bill Bentley wrote:I took the opportunity to look at the 'Peter Wild Collection'. As scruffy a bunch of soldiers as any you could meet on any training area. But on the parade ground as smart as a shiny sixpence. I was intrested to see that every soldier carried a pistol / revolver, now who can tell us why that was and what they were ?

I'm guessing that Peter would have known Col. Dan as a 2nd Lt. and now they are stagging on, again together. No doubt Col. Dan will be sharing a dram of coffee with Peter as I write these words.

RiP Peter, you are in good company.
Seem to remember they all carried sidearms in B Sqdrn in Berlin in 1960?

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:18 pm

Dear OLD Bill O.,

in 1960 I did not even own an own pair of shoes, we still had a gas lamp on the wall in our mid-terrace in Gorton, our toy guns were just sticks and it would be another decade before I joined up and got issued my very own boots and socks !
Wish I had been there with y'all but even an early starter like me had to wait his turn. :lol:

incas
Service Details: (1956-1962) Joined REME March 1956. Served with LAD REME 'A' Squadron 3rd Troop 14/20KH 1957 to 1961 (Hohne, Celle & Detmold, then back to Hohne) and 'HQ' Squadron late 1961. Returned to REME Arborfield for demob in March '62.

Post by incas » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:05 am

'So sorry to hear of Peter's death. I served with Peter at Detmold; 'helped him to prepare his VW Beetle for our journey to London and back for two weeks leave. (1959 or 1960; can't be sure after all these years)

Rest in Peace Peter.
Condolences to his Family and Friends
Regards
Peter

Enjoying Today.