RSM WO1 Parnaby, MBE

Looking for an old mate? Is anyone looking for you? Post a message here or search for names you might have information on.
par481
Service Details: WO1 RSM H. Parnaby (I am his grandson).

RSM WO1 Parnaby, MBE

Post by par481 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:46 pm

Hello. I have recently started researching my Grandfather, RSM WO1 Parnaby, MBE (Coldstream Guards, 13/18th, Mons OCS and 14/20th). His period of enlistment was from around 1936 - 1960s. He served throughout WW2, Korea, Malaya and possibly in Middle East.

I have noticed his name a few times within some sites and would like to know more about him. Any information or stories would be appreciated.

Regards
Andrew Parnaby

Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Skype name: Brian Moulton

Re: RSM WO1 Parnaby, MBE

Post by Brian Moulton » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:28 pm

Andrew

Looks like the Parnaby's shared their service between 14th/20th and 13th/18th.

I've just searched the Hawk Journals and found 7 documents with 14 instances of Parnaby starting with H Parnaby in 1949 and also M Parnaby who left 14/20KH to become RSM of 13/18H. Also mentioned is Bandsman Parnaby (RSM Parnaby's son) who also transferred to 13/18H in about 1952

I'll look deeper shortly and give you more details.

!949 Hawk Journal - SSM H Parnaby joined from RAC O.C.T.U. also shown on Nominal Role 1948 as HQ Sqn

1950 Hawk Journal - Page 53 - SSM H Parnaby shown with others at Ramnuggar 1949 namely:
Major A . R . Sturt, Capt . D . E . Wreford, Sergt . Norton, Major J . L. M . Chancellor, S .S.M. Parnaby ,
Mr. R . Clinie
Nominal Role - 1949 A Squadron SSM

1951 Hawk Journal - Shown on page 180 in a caricature featuring: Major R . J . W . Fletcher, R.S .M. R . Saville, Lt .-Col. R . J . Stephen, M.B .E ., Major W . J. Crotty, M.B .E., Capt. J . F. Beaumont, M.C ., Capt. & Adjt . W . A. L . Reid, M .C ., W .O .I T. A. Grant (R.A.E .C .), S .S .M . Senior, S .S.M . Parnaby.
Mention of Band Boy (Now Trooper) G. Parnaby with a comment on his height, similar to his father S.S.M. Parnaby
Both listed in Journal

1952 Hawk Journal - Page 15 "Soon after arriving at Crookham, S.S.M. Parnaby left us to become R .S.M. o f
the 13th/18th Royal Hussars (Q.M.O.)"

Page 21 - "DEPARTURES
The following left the Regiment and have taken with them good wishes for the future : S.S.M. Parnaby, to Far East, to be R .S.M. of the 13th/18th (Q .M.O. ) Hussars"

Bandsman G Parnaby shown in Journal

1953 Hawk Journal - Page 80 - "Bdsn. Parnaby has left us to join his father with the 13th/18th Hussars

1984 Hawk Journal - Page 123 - Mentioned in an obituary to Sgt C Terry.

1985 Hawk Journal - Page 91 - An article on Catterick Barracks "Now and Then", a photograph of the old square area with the following caption:

"RSM Parnaby ' s parade ground in Menin Lines - now married quarters . During the Regiment's three year stay . the RSM welcomed 7 .900 recruits onto his square for their basic training. About 100 - the majority National Servicemen - arrived every fortnight ."

Hope this helps to fill in some background.

A CD with the Hawk Journals is available contact John Cornish at KRH Home HQ, Fulwood Barracks, Preston for details.
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

If it's not broke ........ Mess about with it, until it is !!

Believe it or not. I'm not Jewish.
Just a very careful Christian with short arms and deep pockets !!

Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Post by Brian Moulton » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:35 am

Received this PM from Andrew.

Hello Brian,

Gerald Parnaby was my uncle, my father was Harold. He joined the RN in 46. Gerald from memory was in the Coldstream guards band corps. I can't remember other units he may.have been in.

Thanks for the assistance. All info is good.

Andrew
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

par481

Post by par481 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:49 am

G'day Brian,

My Grandfather did serve with the 13/18th, and yes his son Gerald Parnaby also. I know of his service at Mons OCTU also.

A funny story occurred a number of years ago in Perth, Australia, where a gentleman my father and I met re-countered a story of being charged by an RSM at OCTU for free wheeling on a push bike. To his horror he then realized he was talking to the RSMs son and grandson!!

Also, I have been trying to find out how to have medals reissued. Would you have any advice on how to proceed efficiently in that regard?

Andrew

Brian Moulton

Post by Brian Moulton » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Not sure on that, off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone on here will know. If nothing in a couple of days, I'll see what I can dig up.

Might have missed something, but I am assuming your location is not UK.
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

rick aindow
Service Details: 1965 - 1980 started with C Sqn, went to A Sqn on promotion, finished in HQ Sqn Families Office. Postings inc. Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, NI, Tidworth, Herford, Various annual Snow Queens, 63 Army Youth Team, RAC Display Team, Hohne, Bovington

Post by rick aindow » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:39 pm

Hi,

You can apply for ancestors medals from this site...

https://www.gov.uk/the-ministry-of-defence-medal-office

Good luck!

Rick
From Brisbane Queensland, beautiful one day, perfect the next

williamo
Service Details: Regimental Band.
1951-1964.
Crookham,Sabratha,Kneller Hall, Piddlehinton, Munster, Hohne, Berlin, Bengazi, Bovington.

Post by williamo » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:02 pm

par481 wrote:Hello. I have recently started researching my Grandfather, RSM WO1 Parnaby, MBE (Coldstream Guards, 13/18th, Mons OCS and 14/20th). His period of enlistment was from around 1936 - 1960s. He served throughout WW2, Korea, Malaya and possibly in Middle East.

I have noticed his name a few times within some sites and would like to know more about him. Any information or stories would be appreciated.

Regards
Andrew Parnaby
Served under your grandad for a few months at Crookham Camp,1951, he then transferred to the 13/18th who were in Malaya at the time. I also served in the Regimental Band with his son Ged, he too went to the 13/18 th with his Dad.
Mr Parnaby was a fine gentleman and though strict, a Very Fare RSM. Regards Andrew, Bill.

Maxine
Service Details: I am not a member but am registering for an old friend of the family who served in the King's Hussars.

Post by Maxine » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:40 am

Andrew Parnaby, a few years ago I had put a notice in this forum for John "Toby" Townson who is now 85 and lives in Melbourne, Australia and who was looking to find out what had happened to people he knew when he worked with the 14/20th. Parnaby was a name he knew so I told him that you were looking for anyone who knew your grandfather. John knew him and has written a small story of an incident where he met your grandfather. I can scan and email the page to you and can send you the letter too. Please email me at maxine@maxinesullivan.com. John is also happy for you to write to him or call him on the telephone. He is very good at remembering the past.

Cheers,
Maxine

par481

Post by par481 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:09 pm

Thankyou for the reply. I will email you directly shortly.

williamo
Service Details: Regimental Band.
1951-1964.
Crookham,Sabratha,Kneller Hall, Piddlehinton, Munster, Hohne, Berlin, Bengazi, Bovington.

Post by williamo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:35 pm

I wonder how many brothers served under the same RSM, But in different Regiments, me under Mr Parnaby in the 14/20th and my brother Simon under him in the 13/18th Hussars, in Malaya.?