joe the coon

Looking for an old mate? Is anyone looking for you? Post a message here or search for names you might have information on.
JOHN S LOINES
Service Details: 22/06/71 to 23/06/93

joe the coon

Post by JOHN S LOINES » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi All in hawk land,does anyone remember joe the coon, circa 1977/78 ish. Always was wearing red side hat riding boots,carrying a whip,what like ruperts do. Talked posh ish. He seemed suddenly appear then suddenly disappear. I say joe the coon not because he was of white ,but never did know his surname. I wonder if our Trev ever met him. lol. John L

tigger
Service Details: JLR RAC 1971-1972, 14/20 kh 1972 - 1992. Herford, Bovinton, Cyprus, Omagh, Warminster, Hohne, Croyden, Catterick, Manchester, Munster, NI tours, Gulf 1,

Re: joe the coon

Post by tigger » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:01 am

i did indeed have the pleasure of meeting as he was affectionally known Joe the N****R

joe was responcible for a number of anecdotes

1. whilst outside the chippy in Warminster he was getting battered by a local grunt, who hauled Joes head up and asked he he had had enough, where upon Joe stuck two fingers into his eyes and while the grunt wailed like a stuck pig, Joe kicked the S**T out of him, thus up holding a Regtimental tradition of being down but never beaten.

2. Whilst working in the stables at Warminster every morning Joe would walk to the stables for riding out , as he crossed the square the Garrison RSM coming the other way would salute him to which Jow would raise his crop and utter Carry on RSM (It only came out when the RSM said to Dave Tunnycliffe what a very nice officer you have who speaks to me every morning on the square, priceless)

3.After being mistaken as on officer again, joe was invited into the officers mess tent at Tidworth Horse Trails by the Garrison commander and ran up a conciderable mess bill, Again Dave Tunnycliffe was apolectic.

Joe left the regiment sometime in Hohne, he was a difficult sod but full value for the stunts he got up to his full name was Joe Hanley (he was supposedly the bastard son of the Prime Minister of Jamaca)

Meeks
Site Admin
Service Details: 14/20th 1975-1990. C Sqn, Cyprus, Hohne, B Sqn Berlin, Munster and various loans to Hq Sqn RHQ Tp etc.

Post by Meeks » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:45 am

Trev,
I may be wrong but I think it was Joe Hadley.
Keith
Live life to the full!

JOHN S LOINES

Post by JOHN S LOINES » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:09 am

Hi Trev and Meeks, Many thanks to you both, The name rings a bell, not looking for him just intrigued.Thanks John L

tigger
Service Details: JLR RAC 1971-1972, 14/20 kh 1972 - 1992. Herford, Bovinton, Cyprus, Omagh, Warminster, Hohne, Croyden, Catterick, Manchester, Munster, NI tours, Gulf 1,

Post by tigger » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:36 am

Well spotted Kieth, it was

My memory was jogged again, I remember that it was rumoured that he was an officer cadet who was elbowed for bouncing cheques, that being the case I would have thought that qualified him to be an Officer from the outset lol

JOHN S LOINES

Post by JOHN S LOINES » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:10 pm

Hi Trev , got that one right,though it would have been interesting if he came to us as a troop leader ? take care John L

billy whittle
Service Details: 1970 - 1980. 'B'sqn HK and Herford and NI, 'HQ' sqn Herford and Bovington. 'Veh ' Sqn Bovington, 'D'sqn Hohne, and NI then 'HQ' sqn till demob,

Post by billy whittle » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Hey up Lads, I oncw had the Honour !!! of locking Joe up when i was on the RP staff. He told me his old man owned a chain of supermarkets but would#nt say what they were called :D :D :D I know he never knew when to shut up even if it meant he was heading for yet another good hiding and who can ever forget him drinking his bacardi and coke with his pinky finger sticking out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: definately someone who will always be remembered.

atb Billy

ps his surname was Handley

Mac McNulty
Site Admin
Service Details: January 1972 - August 1994

Post by Mac McNulty » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:32 am

Hi All,

Bills right it was Joe Handley, I had the dubious pleaure of him being my Operator when I was in D Squadron in Hohne asolutely rubbish at everything he did except being on the radio so guess who did all the stags?

I remember I very nearly throttled him once in the troop store for some sarcaustic remark he made, he turned blue before Des Hawkins and a few others decided to get me off him.

A strange fellow and had the potential to be a very good con man but as Trev said the provider of numerous antidotes.

A couple more here:

When he first arrived in the Regiment at Lulworth he phoned the Guardroom for a lift from the station when asked who he was he replied quite truthfully "Mr Handley" and when he got to the guardroom with the duty driver the Guard Commander directed Mr Handley to the Officers Mess "No No my man I am Tpr Handley" replied Joe!!

Another when walking to the stables in Warminster dressed in Jodphurs, boots, side hat and with riding crop a SSgt in the DERR throws up a salute "Good Morning Sir" No need to salute me Staff says Joe, SSgt: "I suppose you get a lot of soldiers saluting you being dressed like that" Joe; No only silly C..ts good morning.

I think he did the rounds of the Sqns for obvious reasons but he was extremely good in the D Sqn's Int Cell during the Regiment's Tour of Belfast in 1979 had a good memory for faces and got the players talking but I think he fell foul of big Geoff Hutch a few times too often and left soon after we got back.

Mac

JOHN S LOINES

Post by JOHN S LOINES » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi mac , He was that thick skinned, we should have used him as a reuseable fig 11 target, mover as well .only joking . they dont make them like that any more .did he go back home ,or did he stay in the land of milk and honey. as for Billy ,seems strange that billy put someone in jail, i thought jail was reserved for him lol. again only joking. hope you are all well .John l

JOHN S LOINES

Re: desperate dan

Post by JOHN S LOINES » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:31 pm

He is one for the lulworth boys 85/ 86 ish, what ever happenend to desperate Dan? blond haired lad , i seem to recall he bought a car off johnny wareham Nuff said on that ! but i recall tank troop boys poss jack donbavand, steve garner ect running a chieftain over his car when it was illegally parked ? hope you are all well .john L

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:17 am

Mac
You are right about the faces he was good but he would keep going out with the C.O.T leaving him unable to do his own duties. He got sent back from NI and booted out. he was on a warning order and refused to get out of bed told the Cpl that was trying to get him out of bed to F**k off The Int Cell was much happier when he had gone.
Phil

Paul Keller
Service Details: Hohne Nov '78 till June '85, Catterick June '85 till June '87, with six months Belize, March '86 till Sept '86.
Sennelager, June 87 till March '88, March '88 till Oct '90,

Post by Paul Keller » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:00 am

Remember Joe coming to the rear party after his ignominious return from NIreland in '79.
As you said, potential to be a professional conman.
Upon his return, he was on a night out in Bergen, doing the normal haunts, Weinberg, Oasis, Hartung, El Camino, the one directly next to it and one or two other's, whose names escape me, when he got chatting to a cloggie officer over a few beers, well Joe being Joe, he decided the Garrison Officers mess was be their last port of call, back in barracks and proceeded to run up a nice little bar bill, with the cloggie in tow as well, with all and sundry not questioning his identity, rank, name and number at all !
Then it's Trooper this, an Trooper that
And Trooper how's yer soul?
But it's "Hawks are bloody 'ero's"
When the tanks began to roll!

Paul Keller
Service Details: Hohne Nov '78 till June '85, Catterick June '85 till June '87, with six months Belize, March '86 till Sept '86.
Sennelager, June 87 till March '88, March '88 till Oct '90,

Post by Paul Keller » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:02 am

Didn't Desperate Dan threaten to blow the Right Honourables head off with his SLR ??
Or was that just rumour ??
Then it's Trooper this, an Trooper that
And Trooper how's yer soul?
But it's "Hawks are bloody 'ero's"
When the tanks began to roll!

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:16 pm

Paul
The bar next to the ElCamino was the Berger Hoff The same guy ran boh places. When we had been in NI about a week a Sgt from the Angle Irons int paid a visit he asked to see the int officer and big Geof said thats me The visiting Sgt said no the officer I spoke to on the phone. He was then introduced to Joe and Geof offered him the use of his office where Joe was soundly cuffed.
Phil

tigger

Post by tigger » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:55 am

Dear OH Dear laughing my socks off, what a colourful (excuse the pun) character he was dangerous and a scoundrell but what a character you couldn'y make him up