Who Rememebrs Me.

Looking for an old mate? Is anyone looking for you? Post a message here or search for names you might have information on.
Bluethunder
Service Details: I served in the 14th/20th Hussars from 1962 to 1964 when I transferred to the Parachute Squadron RAC. I did my initial training as boy soldier at Rhyl and then went to Benghazi. If I remember rightly I was in A Squadron. It is all a long time ago now, but I remember my time in the regiment with fond memories.

Who Rememebrs Me.

Post by Bluethunder » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:45 am

]My name is Steve Goddard and I served in the regiment from 1963 until I transferred to the Para. Sqn. RAC in 1965. I started service as a boy soldier at Kimnel Park Camp, North Wales and then at the Regimental Barracks at Benghazi. My first job was in Admin as a clerk in the Adjutant's Office and I then moved on to Asst. Armourer. I was at the barracks when the NAAFI caught fire and we had to move all the stock using whatever transport was available. Does anyone remember this? I would love to hear from anyone who remembers me, I know it was a long, long time ago, but if there is anyone out there get in touch on the site. Thanks.

Bill Butcher
Service Details: Joined 1961. Benghazi,Perham Down,Paderborne,Catterick,Hong Kong,Tidworth,Herford,Bovington,Hohne,Belfast,Deepcut

Re: Who Rememebrs Me.

Post by Bill Butcher » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:16 pm

Steve, I think I can remember you,was Mick Glancy the Chief Clerk,and did you not go into The Diamond Club(HQ Sqn bar).I donot think anyone who was in Benghazi will ever forget the NAAFI fire. 1.most of the lads drinking beer from burnt cans. 2. RMP's searching the camp for misplaced stock. 3. C Sqn lads going up to the water tower for ?????. 4. A few people wearing new foot wear(desert boots).5.When the trucks were leaving the fire most turning left for the guardroom,but one or two turning right, to where???.

GOOD TIMES :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bluethunder
Service Details: I served in the 14th/20th Hussars from 1962 to 1964 when I transferred to the Parachute Squadron RAC. I did my initial training as boy soldier at Rhyl and then went to Benghazi. If I remember rightly I was in A Squadron. It is all a long time ago now, but I remember my time in the regiment with fond memories.

Post by Bluethunder » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:52 am

Bill,
You are right Mick Glancy was the Chief Clerk and I certainly did go into the Diamond Club, some might say too frequently. I remember all the things you mention about the NAAFI fire. I was in fact driving one of the three tonners that took a wrong turn!! The stuff that "fell off the back of the lorry" was quickly buried in a huge hole behind one of the billets. I was in the Armoury when the SIB were searching for the missing stock and they turned the place upside down, nothing to find, all drunk. I do not know if you went to the party at the Sergeants Mess and all the keys off the piano went missing. The SIB were picking them off the road for days. I wonder if anyone else on the site would remember those good old days. It was really nice to hear from you, keep in touch. I live full time in Cyprus now, but funny as it may seem I have friends in Poulton-Le-Fylde, how spooky is that.
Those were the days, eh? :lol:

dave.t
Service Details: Enlisted Feb 1962 intake 6206 Served in 'A' Sqn.
Benghazi, (Assault Troop) Tripoli (Assault Troop) Cyprus (MT Troop)
Padderborn Germany (MT Troop)
Completed Color Sevice Aug 1968
My brother Chris Taylor was in 'C' Sqn. Nickname was KIWI

Post by dave.t » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:32 am

I can remember your name but not your face,
I was in 'A' Sqn. Assault troop.
When you left the regiment to join the para sqn my brother was with you, Chris Taylor (KIWI) I considered joining them until someone mentioned jumping out of the back of 3 tonners, at that point I found I had a prior engagement.

Best wishes, Dave Taylor

dave.t
Service Details: Enlisted Feb 1962 intake 6206 Served in 'A' Sqn.
Benghazi, (Assault Troop) Tripoli (Assault Troop) Cyprus (MT Troop)
Padderborn Germany (MT Troop)
Completed Color Sevice Aug 1968
My brother Chris Taylor was in 'C' Sqn. Nickname was KIWI

Post by dave.t » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:20 pm

I think you will find that the 2 RP's were Don Davis and Bob Leather