Re: Bill Bentley

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
Service Details: Jan 75 -- Aug 87 Herford Cyprus Bovington Hohne NI Catterick

Post by 27 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:38 pm

YOU SIGN PHIL JONES :-( :-( :-( WE SIGN KUN AGUERO :-) :-) :-)
C.T.I.D. :-) :-) :-) ⓜⓒⓕⓒ I WAS THERE WHEN WE WERE SHIT ¿? ¿? ¿?

john kerwin
Service Details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

Re: Re: Bill Bentley

Post by john kerwin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:31 pm

Sounds about right Bill, :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: how about Hitler for the Nobel Peace Prize !!!!! :? :? :?
But lawyers being lawyers will do anything for a quick buck, and I hope it chokes the grabbing bastards.

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Post by Bill Bentley » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:40 am

Careful lads, careful !

Sometimes we have to read between the lines. I listened to the Prime-minister very carefully and I think she is right. To date ONLY servicepersonal have been investigated AND prosecuted for their actions but under this new rule, known former terrorists CAN ALSO be prosecuted, in spite of scum-bag Blairs betrayal of his own people - the one sided amnesty.

As for those evil, despicable, so called lawyers who chase ambulances and try to prosecute even the medics, and follow soldiers doing their duty and who are doing their best under great pressure, im my opinion, there is NO LOWER FORM OF LIFE ! :twisted: :twisted:

Social media is very much a double edged sword and the evil bastards in this world seem to have the edge over those who want to do things right. We are all standing on the edge of a cliff right now and need to be steadfast and not let ourselves be led into jumping off, just because some tosser shouts boo !

The next few days, weeks and months will decide how the peoples of this planet will have to cope for the next thousand years. What Trump says and does, what we are able to make of Brexit, how Europe can cope with Italy, Spain, Austria, Hungary, Poland and their other dissident nations, what becomes of the world economy and how current and future wars affect our climate - the ultimate factor, should be in everybody's thoughts when making decisions.

Do NOT believe what you read, dig deeper and make your decisions based upon facts not headlines - fake news :!: :!:

Because we and our children and our grandchildren shall have to deal with what comes ... it's our watch and we MUST be alert.

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Post by PINKY » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:56 pm

The world is a mess.
I worked in the oil patch security business with ex RCMP, Calgary and Edmonton Police who to a man despise Lawyers so much. Lots of ex lawyers become politicians...…….we all know who's to blame for this mess. Money and power drive these low life scum, we don't stand a chance - yet they continue to fool us with lies and promises.
Done.
Pinky

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:52 am

John,

they only have you by the balls if you let them. My wife and I effectively opted out almost 20 years ago. We have lived on a small self-sufficiency small-holding ever since. It's a simple life where money plays but a small role. All important things like clean air and water, good food and loyal friends don't cost us a penny.

We are about to go one step further and sell up and start living in a caravan. The simpler that you make life the easier it is to enjoy, the less that you own the less you have to worry about ! We intend to follow the gentle climate, soft sun and no more winters: permanent Spring and Autumn. We know how to live off the land and, in our experience, farmers are happy to let you camp for free if you help out now and again. Indeed, in our experience, they shower us with food and drink :D :D .

Remember: illegitimi non carborundum = don't let the bastards grind you down !!

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Post by PINKY » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:49 am

Good advice.

sammy
Service Details: Joined at Bengarzi Jan 1964 served with A Squadron until May 1973

Post by sammy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:07 am

Bill, after 20 years on your smallholding selling up and moving onto something different must have been a very difficult decision to make. However from what little I know of you, you will have considered all the pros and cons and made what you both is the right decision. But it still though takes guts and I wish you both the very best in your future life, hope you keep us all in touch with how things go.
Sammy

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks Sammy,

hard decision ? Not really: after 47 years work I have to realize that even our modest lifestyle can not be sustained on the pensions that we have. We are sitting on a good sum of money, tied up in the house that we have designed and built ourselves. By selling it and traveling we can comfortably afford to live for about 10 years; nobody in my families history has ever lived beyond 72 and I don't expect to break any records. So, 10 good years without working hard every day is more than I can expect to get out of this life. My wife's situation is not much better.

It's been a really fulfilling 20 years here and we shall make the most of what is still on offer. Now how many people do you know that can say that they are secure for the next ten years ? The last shirt has no pockets so we can't take it with us :D

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Post by Arnie » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:38 am

H Bill and Rahi, did my travelling through 60 years in the workforce, and only want to settle down. We were nomads, selling up or moving every couple of years. I could count them, but don't dare to, how many jobs I have had, but its well over 30. Thats counting the time in the army as only ONE. When we "settled" down in Australia we still kept moving!
Then at the age of 73, I called it quits. We applied for, and got, an ILU (Independent Living Unit) in a retirement village. It was a brand new building and all the other tenants were the same as us. The lease is for life (its a church run thing) and we only leave for one of 3 reasons. The obvious one being we are carried out feet first, the second being if WE choose to leave, and the other is if we are so bad as tenants that they can take us to a Tribunal. The village has everything one would want, except a pool, but Brenda and I have signed up for a 24/7 Gym with so many machines, if I tried them all, it would be the first reason (see above).
Our pension more than adequately covers the rent and our Concession cards allows us to travel free on public transport, with an annual return train or bus journey to anywhere in WA, which if you know WA takes two days to drive out of, more if you go North, less than an hour if you go West.
You and Rahi have your life all planned out going forward and I hope you do break a family record. I have set a new record for the males in the Greenwood line. I wont tempt fate by speculating. . . ..
Keep us all Informed about your travels and Good Luck and safe travels.

Arnie :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks Arnie,

it's always inspiring reading your comments, how's the book coming along ??

In preparing for our sale I'm, at last, finishing off our driveway. It's about 25 meters long, 5 meters wide and opens out to enter the carport on one side and the ramp to the barn and orchard on the other side. I put the hardcore down about 10 years ago but never covered it. In the meanwhile it's become all muddy again and has to be removed, sieved and relaid. This is, i have calculated, a couple of hundred tons crossing my spade and some 40 tons of 8 cm concrete bricks being laid on top. Can you imagine how my poor arms and hands feel ? I've been at it for weeks.

I suppose that I could have just leveled it and laid the bricks, but that would not have satisfied me and I would have always felt guilty. If a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing well ! Now which ass brought me up believing such things, in a world where everyone else is just after a quick buck ? Thanks Dad ! But he also used to say: you only have to sleep with one person every single night of your life ... and if he's happy then you can sleep contented. So why do I keep waking up in the middle of the night and wanting to get the job done and finished with ? What ever the job of the day is that is ! I don't doubt it's a sign of madness :shock: :shock: :shock: But hey ho, who wants to be normal ?

So, in your retirement village, how many of the guys can you look in the eye and have an honest exchange with ? I'm guessing that 95% of the people that I meet I avoid their eyes because I would have to tell them what I can see and they wouldn't like me for it. There goes my old man again: 'never be afraid to tell the truth' and I'm not, but it don't half upset a lot of people. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, here in the BRD most retirement villages are full of women, their old men having departed in one direction or another. And if I were to look them in the eye and tell them what I could see, Rahi would skin me alive. Believe me mate, it's safer on the road ... !

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Post by Arnie » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:50 am

Bill, great questions. In Australia it is the same, 2 thirds women, the men having departed as you say, one way or the other. In our apartment building, which opened for occupancy on 26 Apr 2014 and we moved in on the 27 th, there are 16 apartments, 14 of them two bedrooms and 2 of them are single bedrooms. (these 2 are occupied by younger women 50 + and are Housing Commission tenants because the Uniting Church got the Government to partially fund the place). Initially the 14 other units were occupied by some couples (7) and the other seven by singles. In the four years we have been here one lady left, one died, and two males died. What do you expect in a Retirement Village?

The book is almost finished, but somehow went on the back burner when I discovered Youtube, and became an expert on almost everything. Brenda is going to Brisbane next week and I have promised her I will put it all in order by the time she gets back. Yeh well, we can hope.

As for looking the guys in straight in the eyes don't forget I was in the Intelligence Corps for 15 years and that is where they expect you to be at least two-faced, if not more. I get on with everyone. The Church must have had an effect on me, an avowed atheist, because Brenda and I helped her ex-husband to get into the village after the banks fore-closed on his properties leaving him homeless. Got him a pension too, which he couldn't get because of the two millstones (the houses) hanging round his neck. It's a long story about somebody hating me for about 17 years to now being firm friends. Have to say my assessment of his change of heart is based somewhat on the idea that he is still madly in love with her. She loathes him but suffers him because he is the father of her two boys.

At least as far as advice from your father is concerned you are lucky, my mother divorced my father when I was 3, so I didn't get any advice or guidance I just muddled through life, but in general I had a great time, particularly in the Army. For details you will have to read 'The Book'.

Arnie