An Update On The Regimental Museum In Lancashire (taken from the Regimental Newsletter)

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
Paul W. Baker
Site Admin
Service Details: 1420H 1978 - 1989
RH 1991 - 1992
KRH 1992 - 2003

An Update On The Regimental Museum In Lancashire (taken from the Regimental Newsletter)

Post by Paul W. Baker » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:39 pm

In the October newsletter, it was reported that our museum trustees were doing everything possible to fully engage with Lancashire County Council (LCC) following its announcement that it could no longer fund 5 of its museums, one of which was the Museum of Lancashire (MoL) in Preston in which our Collection was displayed. Since September, the Consortium brought together to bid for the building has been hard at work negotiating the terms for such a deal with LCC. To remind readers, the consortium comprises KRH, DLOY, The Fusilier Museum in Bury, the Army Museums Ogilby Trust and the National Army Museum.

Negotiations have now reached the point where it can be announced that LCC has agreed to transfer to the consortium not only the Grade 2 listed MoL building, but also the 3 other important buildings on the same Stanley Road site – the former drill hall with its suite of offices currently used for storage and by HQ Lancashire Museum Services, the former caretaker’s house and the converted St Mary’s Church, now a modern conservation centre with significant commercial potential. Our business plan did not assume that these buildings would be transferred to us, so it is now being revised in order to include them. LCC has proposed that ownership of these buildings should be transferred to the consortium from 1 April 2017, with all buildings less the MoL then being leased back to LCC until they have been fully vacated. This process should take no longer than 2 years, after which we will have full, freehold possession of all 4 buildings. There are many other issues yet to be discussed and agreed with LCC which include the future of its collections (we are likely to be loaned all items currently displayed within the MoL along with selected pieces from the reserve collection), transfer of staff and TUPE arrangements if applicable, the future of the present education services provided by LCC from April 2018, and a robust reappraisal of our business plan to judge whether this project is affordable. Further meetings with LCC are planned for 15 December so the next report will include progress made then.

We will need to fund raise and we’re already seeking genuine offers of help from anyone prepared to volunteer some time and any particular skills they have to assist bring this ambitious but exciting project to reality. All offers to Maj Steve Penkethman in HHQ Winchester please. Now that KRH has no physical presence in Preston it would be fantastic to be able to grasp this once in a lifetime opportunity to re-establish a permanent home for our museum collection in Preston and also provide a future focus for former 14/20H and KRH activities in Lancashire.

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Re: An Update On The Regimental Museum In Lancashire (taken from the Regimental Newsletter)

Post by Bill Bentley » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:39 pm

Yes, just received the newsletter per e-mail and read this surprisingly very good news. No doubt there will be a lot to do just keeping the listed buildings in shape let alone running the museum(s). Wish I lived in the UK and could somehow lend a hand; best I can do will be to send a few bob to support those that do lend a hand and if everybody would do the same it will be 'Bob's yer Uncle' and a job well done :lol: :lol: :lol:

Service Details: Jan 75 -- Aug 87 Herford Cyprus Bovington Hohne NI Catterick

Re: An Update On The Regimental Museum In Lancashire (taken from the Regimental Newsletter)

Post by 27 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:10 pm

Fred

Has anyone tried to get money from the national lottery :?: they always seem to sling money at all different classes of people. But saying that we are ex forces so there might be a few objections. :( :( :(

YOU SIGN PHIL JONES :-( :-( :-( WE SIGN KUN AGUERO :-) :-) :-)
C.T.I.D. :-) :-) :-) ⓜⓒⓕⓒ I WAS THERE WHEN WE WERE SHIT ¿? ¿? ¿?

Paul W. Baker
Site Admin
Service Details: 1420H 1978 - 1989
RH 1991 - 1992
KRH 1992 - 2003

Post by Paul W. Baker » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi mate,

I have nothing to do with this, I am not sure my interference would be welcome either? Maj Tilney is the chap that is dealing with this with his team, it is a pity more Hawks are not invited to participate unless it is to volunteer on the things they want done.

I dipped my toes into the columbarium and was told to mind my own business which is what I intend to do, unless invited to participate of course.

I am sure the Lottery would have been contacted however?