Junior Leaders - Officers

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Re: Junior Leaders - Officers

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:55 pm

Bill Bentley wrote:
Not that such is any help when one joins the regiment, better to keep ones head down and work hard and try to avoid all of those tax free death traps, booze, fags and cars ... not always easy.
Bill
So that wasent you in B.Sqn bar in Herford then

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Post by Bill Bentley » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:30 pm

Phil,

there's bound to be a story behind that comment ... but attack being the best form of defence, I don't think I was ever in B Sqn bar in Herford !
I did help George Kirk, run our own Sqn bar (A or C Sqn, I can't remember), first block on the right past the guard room, where Pike did his thing. I was on guard that night so didn't get questioned. The old booze cost us some good men that often get forgotten ... there but for the grace of God eh !

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:17 pm

Bill
I thought you came to NI with B.Sqn Gosford 73/74 could be wrong. Now see if I have got this right Right side RHQ HQ Sqn above , C.then A Sqns Left side Swimming pool, road down to Tank park, Officers Mess, Sgts Mess and last Qms with B.Sqn above
Phil

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:16 am

Not me Phil,

I was only in Herford for a couple of months then off to the Para Sqn. I was sweating it out in Malaya while you guys were freezing :lol:

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:14 am

And froze we did. The QM decided to save money and delay the heating coming on we threatend to build a fire in the middle of the room. It was switched on. Dont know which was worse the cold or the hot water pipes banging away all night

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:25 am

... and exactly who was the QM ? Was he an ex ranker ? Why would a QM want to 'save money', he doesn't have to foot the bills. Surely nobody would want their men to freeze when times are hard enough anyway !

I remember an SQMS in the DLOY, he had refused one of my men batteries so I went to have words. He said 'stores is for storin, if they were meant to have been issued they would have been called issues' ! I TOOK a box full of batteries not wanting to discuss things with him.

Bob_H
Site Admin
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Post by Bob_H » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:02 pm

I won't name him but we had an SQMS who considered that his role was to keep everything accounted for. He did that by keeping supplies on the shelves, within his store, back in barracks.
The shelves were full of Parkas, gloves, beds, ponchos, boots and socks that would have gone a long way to keeping me warm in the sub-zero temperatures we endured. Of course he had his 'mates' and they didn't go short of anything.
You'll ask why this wasn't reported to higher authority! It's a good question, but the fear of being singled out for reprimand was uppermost.
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Bob_H
Site Admin
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Post by Bob_H » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:30 am

I'm sure that Bill will fill in the details but his profile shows that he served in JLR RAC, 1420H and DLOY.

I've always considered Bill a true hero. Perhaps this article will support that view:
Lance Corporal Bill Bentley, a medic assisting Hughes, was learning this firsthand as, with a medical pack on his back and Sterling sub-machine gun slung over his shoulder, he went out into the fighting to find casualties.

‘You’re driven on by the thought that your mates are out there, dying and injured,’ he said.

One of those he brought back was an old friend, his brains blown out. As he carried a corner of the poncho in which the body was laid, Bentley’s knee kept banging against the dead soldier’s slumped head. It made a hollow, knocking sound he would never be able to erase from his memory.

On another foray, he leapt into an enemy trench and felt a body beneath a tarpaulin move under his feet. The soldier in him outweighed the medic and he fired into the bundle. This was no time to take chances.

But he did just that with another Argentinian soldier, a youngster shot through the leg and in deep shock.

‘He made no aggressive gestures, so I hoisted him over my shoulder and carried him to our own lines,’ he said.

Only later did he stop to consider that the enemy dangling down his back could have snatched his bayonet and killed him.

Even braver was his rescue of Private Dave ‘Chopsey’ Gray, who was bleeding to death in no-man’s-land after a mortar shell had practically torn off his right leg, shattered the other and filled him with shrapnel. Bob Cole, one of Gray’s mates, distraught and in tears, managed to reach the aid post to beg for help. ‘No problem, I’ll go,’ said Bentley.

He ducked down and followed Cole up a hill and through a gap in a stone wall. They could see Chopsey 25 yards away on the other side of the slope, lying in a shallow crater in a pool of his own blood and fully exposed to the enemies’ guns. Bentley crept down to him.

Para legend has it that when Gray was hit, he shouted: ‘I’ve lost me f***ing leg!’ One of his mates behind a nearby tussock replied: ‘No, you haven’t, Chopsey. It’s just landed over here.’

In fact, it was still attached, though not by much. When Bentley reached him, he realised that a desperate situation called for desperate measures. ‘I would have to amputate what was left of his right leg.’

He took out his Swiss Army knife, one blade of which he kept razor sharp for emergencies. Lying flat as bullets flew over his head, he sliced away the flesh and sinew, which was all that was keeping the leg attached.

Gray ‘just cringed’ at this battlefield amputation without anaesthetic — shock must have gone some way to dull the pain.

The medic was tourniqueting the stump when a stretcher party came racing across the hillside towards him. The enemy fire intensified and more bullets peppered into the peat.

‘The hill seemed to be exploding. It felt as if the whole Argentinian army was opening up at us,’ said Bentley.

The rescue team threw Gray on to the stretcher and, not forgetting the severed leg, ran back up the hill, chased by a line of bullets detonating in the dirt behind them like fireworks.

Back at the aid post, Hughes fought desperately to save the wounded soldier, who had lost so much blood that the doctor couldn’t find a vein in his deathly white skin. He had to cut away with a scalpel to make an opening for fluids.

Hughes put him at the top of the queue for immediate evacuation by helicopter. ‘But I didn’t hold out too much hope for his survival,’ he said.

Bentley helped lift the man he had risked his life to save into a casualty pod on the chopper’s side. The sawn-off remnant of his leg went, too.

‘I don’t think it was until that moment that he realised exactly what had happened,’ said Bentley. ‘He just stared at it.

‘I hugged him, gave him a kiss and said: “You’ll be all right.” Then I closed the top of the pod and they flew him out.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3IYt0KctD
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:43 am

Bill
All QMs are ex rankers and why cos it would make him look good. As for stores are for storing in Andy town when the Blues & Royals advance party arrived they brought thier whole Int Cell so after a short breaking in period I became surplus to requirement. I went to work in the G1098 Store I wont mention his name but I witnessed the following. Joe Boydell came to the store and asked the storeman for some 4 by 2 to clean his SLR He was given 1 square by the storeman Joe was devestated he been out in real shitty weather and his weapon needed a good clean. The storeman then went round behind a couple of filing cabinets and plonked himself in front his tv. I told him I was nipping out to the toilet I took a new roll of 4 by 2 from under the counter went to Joe's troop hut and threw it to him saying here you go Joe clean your gun.
Arnie
I would just like to add.
And those that were attached and families.

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:53 am

Bob
Same storeman same place I was the Sqn photograther I was issued with 2 cannon cameras for my use and 12 Konica point and shoot self focus cameras for brick commanders. I kept the Konicas in the G1098 store as I wasent always in the Int room (pub checks with Geoff and stuff) 2 months into the tour and I was issued with Nikons which take 2 Batteries. I went up to the store and asked the storeman for two of the cameras so I could get the Batteries. His answer no they are ready for handover. This was 2 months before handover to the Blues and Royals. Needless to say I got all 12 cameras and kept them in my lock up in the Int room after I had explained to him what a useless person he was (thats me being polite)
Phil

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:12 am

Guys,

I'm unfortunatly not aware of what has been posted (by Algie ?) and withdrawn, but thanks for the open support. I would just like to add that I am thick skinned and thick headed enough to take flack and if appropriate to give it back. Should anybody ever want to, they can 'private mail' me to clear up any questions about my service or any other details that seem distorted about anything that I post on here, or about my time with the regiment. (Some guys have actually already done so.) I am an almost open book !
For the record I was 14/20KH from August 1972 until February 1979 but was detached for about four years with the Para Sqn and at Hereford. I mention my time at Hereford for the first time ever in a public domain, because it will in any event come out in a new book, written by Lord Michale Ashcroft, called 'Special Ops Heroes', to be released on the 18th of this month. Therein you can find quoted extracts of my own version of what actually went on at the battle for Goose Green, down in the Falklands, in 1982. (Bobs quote came from another book which did not represent what I had said to the author).

Also for the record, all profits from the sale of the book 'Special Ops Heroes' will go to forces charities ! :wink: !

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:19 pm

Hi Bill
Bit like me "Call me anything you want just dont call me Late"

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Post by Arnie » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:26 am

Hi Phil,
to revert to talking about "store"men. There must be a part on the RQMS/QMs course that mentions Stores are for storing. If they are in a soldiers locker or on his back they are no longer "stores". Must have mentioned the time I was doing the annual security inspection of the Infantry Depot in Ballymena. On going into the QMs department it was empty, well relatively empty. In a joking manner I said "You have been robbed". Whereupon he said The stores are where they should be, these are only the required reserves. All I have to secure are these,m and he picked up a lever-arch file filled with issueing receipts. You probably still remember the numbers Phil. I complimented him on his logic and said I wished all Q people had this attitude.

Incidentally perhaps you can discover where my reply is to Algy's 'pissed' submission,in which I defended Bill's right to
put whatever he liked on HIS and our site?

Arnie :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bob_H
Site Admin

Post by Bob_H » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:40 am

Arnie, you should check your Private Message (link at top right). Also, if you aren't receiving emails to let you know about Private Messages you may need to edit your profile email address by clicking on your name (again top right). :)

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:51 am

Arnie
The form you refer to is the much misused AF1033. This form was never ment for Temp Loans. Its proper use was as An issue voucher / Reciept Voucher eg A piece of kit issued permenently to another unit it would have your units IV No to take it off our account, and their Reciept Voucher No for them to bring it on to their account each unit retaining a signed copy. This would be done in reverse if the other unit was issueing to us. it was also used as a blank voucher to correct accounting errors eg a block of IV Nos had been missed they would be entered on this voucher. It could also be used to Issue kit off the books that was not reuseable and was authorised for local disposal this would be a Certified Issue Voucher. Temp Loan forms should be local manufacture. On the course amongst accounting procedures there was restriction as laid down by the MOD. Clothing Maintenance Limits was one of these. So many items per 100 personell on strengh per qtr. I used to devide this by 3 and use it as a monthly allowance which meant all that were allowed to be issued in the qtr would not be used in the first month. In muenster we had about 600 on strength including 204 Sig Sqn the Int section the A.E.C.and various others This allowed me to Exchange 12 Prs of Gloves Combat and 21 Shirts No2 Dress a month. a quick calculation No of item allowed 6 X 7 / 3 = 14 per month. This restriction could be the cause of the saying Stores are for storing as I had to say no when the "Customer" as I was taught to treat them as could clearly see the item he needed to exchange on the shelf. This of course did not include initial issue they would be issued on the AF 1179A and recorded in the AB 1157 Personal record of clothing issued to a soldier.
Now if you would all like to turn to page 20 in your Hymn books.
And with me. Once stores come off the shelf they become issues. They may also may be called free exchanges on an AF1179 or a replacement on repayment by AF P 1954.
QuuuuMmmmm