14/20 Regt plate

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
bryanlythgoe

14/20 Regt plate

Post by bryanlythgoe » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:22 pm

On or just before amalgamation I purchased a plate commisioned by Roy Tyson on behalf of 14/20H has anyone else got one and any idea how much they are worth now?

billy whittle
Service Details: 1970 - 1980. 'B'sqn HK and Herford and NI, 'HQ' sqn Herford and Bovington. 'Veh ' Sqn Bovington, 'D'sqn Hohne, and NI then 'HQ' sqn till demob,

Re: 14/20 Regt plate

Post by billy whittle » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:24 pm

Brian,
How about a picture for the rest of us to see.

atb Billy

shotgun
Service Details: jlr 6/6/79-aug1980
regt sept 1980-10/5/2003

Post by shotgun » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:38 pm

I got 1 for each of my kids, still got pride of place, no idea on value, .....sorry....
Yammy

tigger
Service Details: JLR RAC 1971-1972, 14/20 kh 1972 - 1992. Herford, Bovinton, Cyprus, Omagh, Warminster, Hohne, Croyden, Catterick, Manchester, Munster, NI tours, Gulf 1,

Post by tigger » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:48 am

I seem to remember that the regt bought the number plate 142 OKH for the Colonel in Chief, back when we were in HERFORD.

I have tried to find A142OKH myself as I would love to have it on my car, but to no avail, I believe it was on a Hyundai in the middlands but have never been able to track it down 100%.

If any one has it or knows of its whereabouts I am seriously interested

Trev

Mac McNulty
Site Admin
Service Details: January 1972 - August 1994

Post by Mac McNulty » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:14 am

Hi Brian,

I have one but again I have never researched the value, I should imagine it would only be of value to a Military Collector or a Hawk who did not buy one, although I seem to remember it was a limited edition.

Cheers

Mac

billy whittle
Service Details: 1970 - 1980. 'B'sqn HK and Herford and NI, 'HQ' sqn Herford and Bovington. 'Veh ' Sqn Bovington, 'D'sqn Hohne, and NI then 'HQ' sqn till demob,

Post by billy whittle » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:18 am

Morning Mac,
I know i'll be looking out for one from now on although something tells me I wont be finding one :lol: :lol: :lol: but just in case if anyone knows of one for sale please tell me , i#d love to get my hands on one.

atb Billy

DRACSS
Service Details: SERVED FROM 1961 TO 2001

Post by DRACSS » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:53 am

I seem to recall that the 1420H plate purchased for our Colonel-in chief, was bought from a company which had it registered to a milk float.(I think Bill Williams was the instigator)
I bought the "K14XXH" plate which was the nearest to the Regiments title. (unless anybody knows a better one)
DRAC. IF YOU WERN"T CAV, YOU NEVER WERE,

BLESS ALL HAWKS, WHEREVER YOU MAY BE..

kevman
Service Details: RHQ, PADERBORN 1965 - 'A' SQN PADERBORN - SINGAPORE - TIDWORTH - N.I (3) 1968 - 71, RAC Parachute Regt- TIDWORTH - N.I. 1972, RTU-RHQ TIDWORTH - HERFORD 1973 - 1974.

Post by kevman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:05 pm

I was slightly involved in the puchase of the registration plate '1420H' for H.R.H The Princess Anne, as she was then, when she was appointed our Colonel-in-Chief in 1968. I seem to think it was mentioned by RSM Syd Jude in Paderborn, I know I spent some time doing research into its whereabouts with Home Headquarters, it was eventually found on a milk float in London. It can now be seen quite often on the roads in Gloucestershire usually being driven by the Admiral..!!!

Keep 'em Sharp'

Kevin

bodge
Service Details: A squadron 1952-1954

Post by bodge » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm

The letters K.H. were a Kingston upon Hull No plate letters.
The co. I worked for had the no plate HRH 1 and they gave it to the then Princess Elizabeth later to be the Queen.
Bodge

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Post by PINKY » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:31 pm

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this works........sadly the car is gone !!
atb
pinky 8)

FERDY
Site Admin
Service Details: 1963 - 1977
Catterick, Benghazi, Tidworth, Paderborn, Ireland, Perham Down,Ireland, Herford, Bovington. (Can't remember the order though, Brain Dead !! ) Oh and a lot of time spent at Bisley !!

Post by FERDY » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:41 pm

Tigger, the number plate.....HU55 ARR.....is available @ £728.00 on http://www.plates4less.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Pete Farrell
If you can stay calm when all around you is in Chaos, Then you have not properly understood the Situation!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

yorkydown
Service Details: joined regiment 1946 to 1956, served Catterick Crookham Tripoli then transferred to RASC/Rct in Tripoli then Uk Aden Bahran uh demobbed 1968

Post by yorkydown » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:01 pm

DRACSS wrote:I seem to recall that the 1420H plate purchased for our Colonel-in chief, was bought from a company which had it registered to a milk float.(I think Bill Williams was the instigator)
I bought the "K14XXH" plate which was the nearest to the Regiments title. (unless anybody knows a better one)
Hi, referring to no. plates 1420, i recall when with Redt in the 1945/50, that the regiment presentented princess Anne with 1420 HRH number plate for her birthday, which was purchased from a milk float in Hull. Paddy Reid the Adj went from Tripoli to the uk to purchase. i believe it was on her blue aston martin, now is on her horse box HRH was a Hull registration

rick aindow
Service Details: 1965 - 1980 started with C Sqn, went to A Sqn on promotion, finished in HQ Sqn Families Office. Postings inc. Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, NI, Tidworth, Herford, Various annual Snow Queens, 63 Army Youth Team, RAC Display Team, Hohne, Bovington

Post by rick aindow » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:49 pm

Hi Eddie,

If it was bought for her birthday it would have been her 1st birthday! she was born in 1950.

Wouldn't mind having her old Aston Martin though :)

Rick
From Brisbane Queensland, beautiful one day, perfect the next

Bob_H
Site Admin
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Post by Bob_H » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:49 am

Not so grand as a Aston Martin!

It was of course a Reliant Scimitar:

After production at Reliant ceased, Middlebridge Scimitar Ltd. acquired the manufacturing rights to the Scimitar GTE and GTC in June 1987. This company, based in Beeston, Nottingham, produced a 2.9 L version of the GTE with many modifications and modernizations including fuel injection and a 5-speed gearbox.

Middlebridge Scimitar No.5 was delivered to HRH The Princess Anne

Here's the article related to picture 2 from Middlebridge Scimitar:

"The main Gallery picture shows HRH Princess Anne's Middlebridge back at Lilacs Grove for one of it's routine services, It was very rare for Middlebridge themselves to maintain or repair cars after purchase apart from of course HRH Princess Anne's car which always had a thorough service and everything inspected and replaced as required during it's brief visits back to Lilac Grove.

HRH Princess Anne's interest in Scimitar's stemmed from her Father's time driving the Ogle GTS and she has owned them since 1971.

During 1971 The Royal Family bought HRH Princess Anne her first Scimitar (SE5) as a combined Christmas and 20th Birthday gift it was painted aircraft blue in colour and was trimmed out in light grey leather, This was her joint Birthday and Xmas present.

All of HRH Princess Ann's many Scimitars have worn the same cherished numberplate, it has been worn by the Middlebridge above for the past 21 years, The reg; 1420 H refers to her position as Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal 14/20th Hussars.

Kevin, a very experienced engineer and was brought in as the Chief Middlebridge Engineer he was responsible for getting the new Middlebridge through Full British Type approval, He also did a lot of the build work on Middlebridge No 5 (HRH Princess Anne’s) car, he also went on calls to Gatcombe and Sandringham when HRH had problems with her MB, on one occasion Kevin was called out to Sandringham and on arrival found all the front wiring loom stripped out, apparently Security had heard a noise coming from the car after HRH had parked it several people had tried to stop the noise by pulling at and playing with wires when Kevin arrived he soon diagnosed the problem and the cause of the noise “it was the engine fan and it was operating correctly” so no initial fault but the car now needed a lot of front end wiring work!!

Another of Kevin’s responsibilities was to oversee production check the cars over after build completion and do the final shake down road test prior to customer collection; Kevin like others also verifies that 144mph is attainable in a Middlebridge.

Fact; Kevin and Geoff Middlebridge, Leccy did happen to sign their names on the inner roof above the rear seats before fitting the roof lining of HRH Princess Royal’s Middlebridge Number 5. ;o)
"
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

tigger
Service Details: JLR RAC 1971-1972, 14/20 kh 1972 - 1992. Herford, Bovinton, Cyprus, Omagh, Warminster, Hohne, Croyden, Catterick, Manchester, Munster, NI tours, Gulf 1,

Post by tigger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks Ferdy

but I want the plate to put on my 1990 XJS so the HUSSAR plate isnt able to be fitted to my motor, nice plate though

Cheers Trev