Message From Joanna Lumley

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
Bob_H
Site Admin
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Message From Joanna Lumley

Post by Bob_H » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:11 am

All, I've just received the following email from Miss Joanna Lumley:
(Remember to right-click on links then click on 'Open in new tab' or 'Open in new window')

Joanna Lumley to me
show details 08:17 (1 hour ago) Reply

Thank you so much for your support of the Gurkha Justice campaign. We are overwhelmed by the support the campaign is receiving.

As you may know, on Friday, the Government badly let down the Gurkhas. The new rules they have announced will exclude the huge majority of ex-Gurkhas who retired before 1997 from claiming citizenship in this country. They've given five bullet points that virtually cannot be met by the ordinary Gurkha soldier.

It is so obvious that the treatment of the Gurkhas has been a great injustice. To treat them like this is despicable.

The strong reaction by the public and press should show the Government that they simply cannot get away with this outrage.

I'm ashamed of our adminstration. We will be challenging this decision in the courts and in Parliament. We will not stop now.

This is not a party political campaign: it's simply one for justice. I am so grateful though for immediate support from MPs from all Parties, including amongst others Conservative leader David Cameron and Lib Dem Leader Nick Clegg.

Nick Clegg has agreed to put a vote to Parliament this Wednesday calling for a fair deal for Gurkhas. This vote on its own won't change the Government's ruling, but would be an overwhelming signal to the Government that they need to think again.

We need all MPs that support the Gurkha justice cause to turn up and vote for a proper deal for Gurkhas on Wednesday. Can I ask that you take a couple of minutes right now to ask your MP to do so?

You can send a message to your MP directly at http://www.theyworkforyou.com - please ask them to support the Gurkha Justice motion on Wednesday.

On Wednesday, there will also be a Gurkha Justice rally and protest against the Government's decision, starting at noon in Old Palace Yard, Westminster. Many MPs have already committed to support the vote and join me and others at the rally. I know it's awfully short notice, but if you can, please do come along as well to add your support.

If you can pass on this message to others as well that would be fabulous - and if they sign up to http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk we can keep in touch with them directly in future.

Lastly, again, thank you so much for your support. It means so much to us. I spoke today to Lt Madan Kumar Gurung, who has been at the forefront of the campaign since it began. He said to me that he has no fear for the Gurkhas any more, as he knows the loving hearts of the British people will not let them down. With your support we won't.

With warmest good wishes,

Joanna
http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk

Bob_H
Site Admin
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Re: Message From Joanna Lumley - Let's Do It

Post by Bob_H » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:37 am

All,

I've sent an email to my MP. It's quite easy - just do this:
  • 1. Right-click on http://www.theyworkforyou.com - click on 'Open in new tab' or 'Open in new window', go to the tab/window
    2. Enter your Postcode and Click on 'Search' - Your MP details will display
    3. Click on 'Send a message to 'xxxxxMP Namexxxxx'
    4. Type your own message or Copy & Paste or type this between 'Dear xxxxxMP Namexxxxx' and 'Yours sincerely' - It is so obvious that the treatment of the Gurkhas has been a great injustice. To treat them like this is despicable. I ask you to support the Gurkha Justice motion on Wednesday.
    5. Enter your personal details and make sure your email address is valid
    6. Add your own name after 'Yours Sincerely'
    7. Click on 'Preview your message'
    8. If you're happy click on 'Send Message'

9. Go to your email Inbox
    10. Click on the link near the top of the page.
That's it - let's stand up for our Gurkha friends
Enter your reply below to show that you've done it.

Johnny Morris
Service Details: Served from 1967 - 1992
Served in all SQNS (I include C Sqn as I was SSM of it but we always referred to it as BMT Sqn)
Finished as RQMS in 1992 and served with the regiment in Paderborne, Hong Kong & Singapore, Hohne, N.I. Bovington and Warminster,
Catterick & Muenster and Iraq
Postings:Rheindahlen, DLOY(Preston & Swinton),BMATT - Zimbabwe.

Re: Message From Joanna Lumley

Post by Johnny Morris » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:43 am

I followed Bob's method this morning and it works just fine.

It is a two stage process and you are sent a confirmation link to the home e-mail address that you use.
On receipt of that confirmation e-mail, just click the link provided and that will take you to a webpage telling you that your e-mail will be sent.

Thats probably not as clear as Bob's explanation but hopefully it will be enough.

Regards to all
Johnny Morris

Shep
Site Admin
Service Details: 1970-1990
C A & Hq Sqn

Post by Shep » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:05 am

MMM
I have a problem with this our MP is the Deputy Speaker and has no input and no vote
So I asked him in a polite fashion to put my views to his colleagues who can vote
I also asked his oppinion on the matter
will see what happens

Shep
The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expect different results

Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Skype name: Brian Moulton

Post by Brian Moulton » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Ditto: My MP is Ruth Kelly

I've sent the following, using the theyworkforyou site:

Dear Ruth Kelly,

As a member of this ruling government, I hope you are ashamed at how the Gurkhas have been treated with respect to the right to citizenship for the majority.

As and ex-serviceman who has first hand knowledge of the Gurkhas, realises what they have done in the service to this country, I am myself most annoyed by the disrespect this government has shown to them, when compared to the rights given to e.g. African asians, amongst others and all their relatives, etc. who have done very little for the country except take all that is offered and exploit every loophole to further their ends.

I am also speaking on behalf of my friends and family who hold the same views as to how this government will willingly sacrifice our servicemen for flimsy objectives, and offer very little in return.

On Wednesday, Nick Clegg is to put a vote to Parliament, calling for a fair deal for the Gurkhas. I would expect, you as the MP for this constituency, to vote in favour of a fair deal. I'm sure, if canvassed, the electorate, in this area would expect their MP to support the vote.

Yours sincerely,

Brian Moulton
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

If it's not broke ........ Mess about with it, until it is !!

Believe it or not. I'm not Jewish.
Just a very careful Christian with short arms and deep pockets !!

Brian Hunter
Service Details: 1967 - 1973
B Squadron

Post by Brian Hunter » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:48 pm

Bob

E-mail sent :evil:
Ya can take lad out o' Preston, but ya can't take Preston out o' lad

(lizard)
Service Details: 14/20 kh 72-76 Cattrick Tidworth Herford N/I Cyprus A SQN. Assault Troop

T/A RE/ P.C 79-89 holland germany gibralter hong-kong cyprus uk

Post by (lizard) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:41 pm

Mmm ! mine just happens to be Phil Woolas !!! and i bumped into him on the way to the bank on Friday when he was on air giving his reply to the BBC in Oldham ! Fair to say my comments to him reflected everone else,s, you can see his face change in his recording and just about hear me in the background ! i was hushered away ! but on the way back to the car park he acctualy ran after me and thrust his papers under my nose and told me to read the facts , in true 14/20h fashion i told him were to stick his facts and look around him ! and tell me how many of the 1000,s walking about in front of him were non immigrants ! I also told him the only paper he should worry about was next years ballot one !! i can say after 34 years i wont be voting Labour election year. ( as to my response think of HATCH-RASH )

HarryBennett
Service Details: REME 1951-63
14/20th KH 1963-76

Post by HarryBennett » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:58 pm

We have just sent message to our MP Tim Loughton. He doesn't accept cut and paste messages so others may be the same. Just write a short message in your own words and keep to the point!

Paul Keller
Service Details: Hohne Nov '78 till June '85, Catterick June '85 till June '87, with six months Belize, March '86 till Sept '86.
Sennelager, June 87 till March '88, March '88 till Oct '90,

Post by Paul Keller » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:46 pm

Shep sir !
Your MP, the most noble "Speaker of the house of commons", may have no input or vote, but he has had some wonderful holiday expences claims on the taxpayer, both him and his wife !!!!
Then it's Trooper this, an Trooper that
And Trooper how's yer soul?
But it's "Hawks are bloody 'ero's"
When the tanks began to roll!

Shep
Site Admin
Service Details: 1970-1990
C A & Hq Sqn

Post by Shep » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Paul
him and the rest of em
notice few take a holiday in areas where most of their Military constituants can be found

Shep
The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expect different results