Reunion 2009 Comments

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
Bob_H
Site Admin
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Reunion 2009 Comments

Post by Bob_H » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:50 am

You might think this is early but since I'm beginning detailed negotiations already for next year I'd like your feedback. I've listed a number of topics below and I'd welcome your comments on all or any of them - add your own topics if you wish to.

1. What did you think of the Hotel Generally? :?:
2. What did you think about the Hotel accommodation charges? :?:
3. What did you think of the Hotel staff? :?:

4. What did you think about the Quiz? :?:
5. What did you think about the 60s night? :?:
6. What did you think about the flag-raising? :?:

7. What did you think about the banquet? :?:
8. What did you think about the entertainment? :?:
9. What did you think about the bar and bar service? :?:
10. What did you think about the catering/service staff? :?:
11. What did you think about the Ticket Cost? :?:

12. What would you change for next year? :?:

John Clements
Service Details: Joined 14th/20th Kings Hussars 1962 to 1968 Benghazi Tripoli Cyprus (un) homeheadquarters.

Re: Reunion 2010

Post by John Clements » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:25 am

bob i wouldnt change any thing for next year for me & olive it was great the room the food and the staff we were well pleased with, there were a few hickups but they were soon put right, bob what about something like an auction nothing big say if someone has any regimental badges or what ever and they have two of the same, may be one could be auctioned and any moneys made so much could be donated to the noahs arc fund, if we did that say for an hour or so, what do you think?

john.

Johnny Morris
Service Details: Served from 1967 - 1992
Served in all SQNS (I include C Sqn as I was SSM of it but we always referred to it as BMT Sqn)
Finished as RQMS in 1992 and served with the regiment in Paderborne, Hong Kong & Singapore, Hohne, N.I. Bovington and Warminster,
Catterick & Muenster and Iraq
Postings:Rheindahlen, DLOY(Preston & Swinton),BMATT - Zimbabwe.

Post by Johnny Morris » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 am

Bob

1) I personally had a good room but I understand a couple of people were not happy with the standard of theirs.
2) £80 for a single room for 2 nights in that hotel I thought was reasonable.
3) I found the hotel staff friendly
4) I thought the Quiz went better than I expected it to and liked the idea of 2 halves regarding questions.
5) 60's night was great
6) Flag raising - as long as it fly's I dont care we fly it from!!!
7) The banquest - did it take too long to serve us all (not sure about that )
8) For me, the entertainment is secondary to getting the chance to talk with all the guys. And besides, I usually provide some of the entertainment myself as I slide down the wall - but not this year though!!!
9) In general I thought the bar in our own suite was better than the one in the hotel lounge.
10) I had no problems with any of the staff
11) Ticket costs for me were reasonable

12 - Change for next year, I would like to win the raffle again please

Johnny Morris

Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Skype name: Brian Moulton

Post by Brian Moulton » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:03 pm

Here's my two pen'worth Bob.

1. From what we saw, better than the Park.

2. Didn't stay, but prices seemed fair enough, wouldn't object to paying that room rate.

3. Pleasant and efficient.

4. Didn't take part.

5. I'm old enough, but wasn't there.

6. If I'm honest, Flag raising is of no interest to me, I go to meet old mates. Wasn't there anyway.

7. Thought it was an excellent meal and no complaints on the service at all.

8. Probably me being old and grumpy but I find discos and DJ's seem to want to stifle any conversations that may be taking place. I know I had a sore throat the following day, trying to make myself heard above the disco. Yes, I know there was a quieter room but at times the conversation was in the main room. However, I do appreciate that others do want the disco so no real problem.

9. Service OK. Staff pleasant enough. Anyone buying me a pint seemed to get served quickly enough (OK “Waggy”, I've not forgot you bought me a pint !).

10. I think they did very well, no problems.

11. OK with ticket price, if you were staying the three days, very good value.

12. Get some press gangs organised and get some more faces to attend. (Larry Hamblin has promised that he'll be there, having retired by then). I also think that April was a much better time than February. Pressurise some of our old officers (maybe we should attend the Cavalry parade in Hyde Park, London and let them know we are still alive. Maybe a task for Quassie to put some pressure on them)

13. Devise some means of identification, still talking to people that knew me but who I didn't have a clue as to who they were.
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

If it's not broke ........ Mess about with it, until it is !!

Believe it or not. I'm not Jewish.
Just a very careful Christian with short arms and deep pockets !!

billy whittle
Service Details: 1970 - 1980. 'B'sqn HK and Herford and NI, 'HQ' sqn Herford and Bovington. 'Veh ' Sqn Bovington, 'D'sqn Hohne, and NI then 'HQ' sqn till demob,

Post by billy whittle » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:47 pm

Bob,first of all well done to you and the committee. As you know we have been coming to the Noahs Arc do's for 14 yrs(only missed one).
Over the years we have met up with old mates last seen nearly 30 yrs ago and made new friends as well and long may it continue.We did'nt stay at the savoy this time due the special rate they were charging members £40 pn B & B when they were advertising in our local paper and on there own website 4 nights and 5 days BB & ED for £99!!!
cant see how our rate was that special. I know its all about meeting old comrades but I draw the line at hotels supposedly giving special rates that clearly are'nt I know I'm not alone in thinking this but i dont know if the others will put there name to it, there was enough walking past our hotel and saying the same thing but we'll see.as for the other questions
1, as i said did'nt stay there.
2, see above
3, Did'nt need to speak to any
4,missed it but good idea
5, thought Dave Holt did a grand job
6, stood outside waiting
7, food was hot and tasty even if a bit slow being served
8,Sorry Bob , the DJ should have stood to playing music, he was the worst singer i have ever heard, i noticed a couple of kids in the room who had to listen to one or two of the guys using language a bit to choice, Bob B said to get some names on paper and he would sort it......I think the petition is still there.
9, good considering the amount of people wanting serving
10, was'nt keen on the waitress who liked to swear at the guest..
11, personally i think it should be a choice of with or without meals and then lower the price for without..
12, we waited for our hotpot only to be told ''its all gone but we could have bread rolls and gravy''. I know I could lose a few pounds but if we have to pay for it we should be able to get it.

I apologise if I have offended anyone but you asked our thoughts and these are just mine,having said all this I will be attending next year even if I wont be staying at the Savoy .Thanks to everyone who attended and made it a good reunion.

Phil, I knew the shekels were coming your way
Meeks , Still waiting for the pint
Honey monster , great to see you again

Cheers Billy

Billy, You haven't offended anybody I assure you. Your negative comments are perhaps even more welcome than the positive ones. Every one of them will be considered when we negotiate the details for next year - Bob_H

Brian Hunter
Service Details: 1967 - 1973
B Squadron

Post by Brian Hunter » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:20 pm

Bob

1. I was happy with the hotel. My room was fine no complaints. Wish there was somewhere to sit outside for a drink during the day especially with the weather we had.
2. Thought that the charge was resonable at £80 for two nights.
3. Found all the staff friendly although the barman in the lounge did tend to go missing for periods at lunch times.
4. The quiz was a great idea, although I had difficulty hearing some of the questions but enjoyed it.
5. The 60's disco was great just the right volume etc.
6. Would of preferred the flag flying outside the hotel but not a big issue.
7. The meal was excellent but did think it went on a bit too long.
8. Please no more (???singers???) like that one, found him so bad went and sat in the lounge.
9. I had no problems with the bar or service.
10. Some of the catering staff a bit clumsy had a knife fall off a plate into my lap when they were clearing the tables.
11. Ticket cost were fine.
12. Would not change anything for next year, not even Johnny Morris winning the raffle!
Ya can take lad out o' Preston, but ya can't take Preston out o' lad

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:04 pm

Bob
Ditto to Brians comments though I did have a slight problem with by booking they could not find my reservation but the girl on reception sorted it out in 5 minutes.
I found the ventreliquests dummy doing the disco more annoying than the ROSM closing the Sqn bar.
Billy
It paid for my old bangers MOT on tuesday which I am glad to say it passed I hope I do as well when I next go to the doctors.
Phil

brcdrake
Service Details: Joined the ACC when I was 15, served with the Green Howards, RASC, BMH Hong Kong, joined C Sqn in Celle then Hohne from there to Tidworth, Bengazi and Cyprus leaving the Regt on return to UK. Then Outward Bound School in Towyn,
Then 3 years with 18th Sigs in Singapore then last years in uk first Wilton HQ last posting to 8th Signals Training Reg in Catterick leaving Army in 1975 after a Career lasting 25 Years

Post by brcdrake » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:02 am

:lol: Bob I thought this was the best reunion yet. Dont change anything you all did well, keep up the good work, see you all in 2011
Brian

fatcat
Service Details: Joined 1969 - 1973 Catterick Paderborn Singapore Tidworth

Post by fatcat » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:29 pm

Hello Bob
in answer to your request about the hotel
1= Did not use the Hotel
2= Could not understand why the Hotel were offering 2 nights 3 days for £59.99 on the same week-end as ours but giving the Noah's Arc members a dearer option.
3= Most were ok some were a bit rude
4= not one for quiz's
5= when we went for the buffet we were told there was none left and they would not be making any more if they cater for 200 you would think there would be enough for 200 not 188, I thought Dave Holt and Mr Marcell were excellent.
6= Flag Raising a good idea if every one is in the right place for it
7= Banquet is ok if it all arrives at the same time some of the staff were a bit rude when they received complaints.
8= The DJ spoilt the night for me he would be better sticking to playing music than trying to tell jokes or sing neither of which he was any good at.
9= The Bar prices were reasonable and the bar service was good you were not kept waiting
10= look at 3 and 7
11= there should be an option of whether you want a meal or just a entrance ticket as i know there were 6 or 7 who bought tickets but did not bother with any of the meals or buffet they just wanted to see there old mates.
12= Bob I know how hard it is for a committee to sit down and try and please every one so no matter what you do there will always be comments good or bad but at the end of the day it is a re-union for the 14/20th and no matter what, the majority will always support what you do so thanks to you and the Committee for what you have done and I will be there again next year.
PS you did ask.

Bob_H
Site Admin
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Post by Bob_H » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:21 am

Everyone.

I'm very grateful for your comments. I begin negotiation with the Hotel today of the details for next year and maybe beyond. I shall take all of your comments with me.

Overwhelmingly the comments received via letter, phone and by our Forum have been positive. It seems like our move to the Savoy has been a great success. I will answer Billy and Alan as they address a couple of different issues:

1. Accommodation prices. The price we negotiate with the Hotel is a Contract Rate. It is not unusual for any business to offer lower prices in order to sell their remaining stock/rooms as a deadline approaches. Our negotiated price includes entertainment, function room use, provision of concessionary bar, additional staff etc. The price cannot be compared with a late deal offer. That said we will try to obtain an even better deal.

2. Hotpot Supper. a) You must have been quite late, the supper was still on offer when I had mine - and I tend towards eating last when everyone else has been served. b) You didn't book in for Friday! Order Forms were sent out on 10th January with a tick-box for Friday attendance and we ask everyone to book in early - you didn't purchase your entry tickets before the weekend.

3. Flag Raising. Apologies, I'm sorry you missed it, but this was a late change enforced upon us. Members staying in the Hotel would have heard Johnny Marcelle's rousing call! We have no way of informing members who stay somewhere else.

billy whittle
Service Details: 1970 - 1980. 'B'sqn HK and Herford and NI, 'HQ' sqn Herford and Bovington. 'Veh ' Sqn Bovington, 'D'sqn Hohne, and NI then 'HQ' sqn till demob,

Post by billy whittle » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:52 pm

Bob, I,ve replied to your e mail, kay was looking on trip advisor and came across a couple of reviews for the weekend of the reunion,
one was from a hotel guest and one from a Noahs member both of which were not happy bunnys but like fatcat said we dont go for the hotel or meal we go to meet up with old (and new) friends and we'll continue to do it no matter what, we've been going to long to stop now, I think we've missed one since it all started... I just hope I'm still around for the next 14.We all know how hard it is to organise a do as big as a Noahs do and we all appreciate it but sometimes the hotels play on it, ever since the details were announced for this last do the hotel has been advertising the rooms cheaper than they offered them to Noahs members, thats why we stayed in a B & B. I could have booked the Savoy cheaper therough my local paper but thought it was'nt right. As I said before we'll continue to attend the reunions as long as we're able to and
look forward to it. atb Billy

Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Skype name: Brian Moulton

Re: Reunion 2009 Comments

Post by Brian Moulton » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:29 pm

Bob

Although we might have had slight differences of opinion in the past. I would just like to say that I fully appreciate the effort you put into driving both this site and the re-unions. Without your committment, it would probably have died the death years ago.

You'll never manage to satisfy everyone and if some of us don't like it, then we'll just have to live with it. I have no complaints about the 2009 reunion at all.

I also try to support the KRH (ex 14th/20th KH) reunion at Barton Grange .. always buy tickets but don't always get there. Ex local 14th/20th should put themselves in John Cornish's shoes when he sees the disappointing turn up by 14th/20th old comrades. If the likes of John Marcelle can manage it then I'm sure that some Preston/Blackpool/Manchester men could make more of an effort.

After all, two nights a year isn't a big deal in the scheme of things.

As for a comment, elsewhere by Pete Farrell, about Quassie and myself on this site. Don't quite know how to take it, but if some of us didn't contribute regularly then this would come to a standstill.

Might be a load of Sh**e we talk but at least we make an effort.

Just had a couple of enjoyable glasses of wine, so I could be influenced by the grape.

Still say well done Bob, thanks and long may you be able to continue.
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

If it's not broke ........ Mess about with it, until it is !!

Believe it or not. I'm not Jewish.
Just a very careful Christian with short arms and deep pockets !!

FERDY
Site Admin
Service Details: 1963 - 1977
Catterick, Benghazi, Tidworth, Paderborn, Ireland, Perham Down,Ireland, Herford, Bovington. (Can't remember the order though, Brain Dead !! ) Oh and a lot of time spent at Bisley !!

Post by FERDY » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:08 pm

Brian

Please take my comments as they were meant, I tried to add a bit of light heartedness to my otherwise serious comments, please don't read anything other than that into it, it was not meant in any other way !!

And apart from that I quite enjoy reading your posts.

Nuff Said ??????

Regards

Pete
If you can stay calm when all around you is in Chaos, Then you have not properly understood the Situation!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mac McNulty
Site Admin
Service Details: January 1972 - August 1994

Post by Mac McNulty » Fri May 01, 2009 11:42 am

Hi Bob,

For £20 the hotel was fine, the food good, the beer cheap, the organisation of the evening I attended very good and the company brilliant so no complaints at all.

Mac

Service Details: Jan 75 -- Aug 87 Herford Cyprus Bovington Hohne NI Catterick

Post by 27 » Fri May 01, 2009 1:13 pm

No complaints at all if anything the meal on the Saturday was excellent (you cannot get a meal like that where I live its normally chinese kebab or fish n chips) in fact I took photos of the meal so my kids could see it and not accuse me of lying :) :) . Felt sorry for the poor barman in the hotel bar he was doing everything serving collecting pots meals and cleaning. The one thing that could be changed is at about 2 to 2.30 when the subsidised bar shut every body then had to pay hotel bar prices, only a minor detail but at that time in the morning there was only Hawks left could it be possible to only charge £2 a drink when the main room bar shut :?: :?: . The DJ must make a fortune as a room clearer on the side it would have been better to have had Tony Angelino's cwying from only fools and horses :lol: :lol: . May I even suggest the spice girls would have been better ( Mr Kellogs will vouch for my feelings about them. Memo to Mac Macnulty when arriving at hotel at 4.15 am stop pulling doors marked push :oops: :oops: , the owner did not look the happiest at being woken up at that time in the morning :( :( . Will be searching through yell.com for cheapest and nearest hotel saved about £60 by being 2 door's away :D :D but Honey Monster and Dave Lavell made sure my savings went to the savoys record profits :shock: :shock: . All in all a great weekend apart from the training for the Hobbling Hawks which me and Johnny Wood did on the Saturday dinner time trying to find a decent pub and we are not in the team :lol: :lol: . See you all next year and as others have said if you have not been to a reunion start saving for next year. Finally thank you Bob and the committee for another excellent weekend :P :P .

YOU SIGN PHIL JONES :-( :-( :-( WE SIGN KUN AGUERO :-) :-) :-)
C.T.I.D. :-) :-) :-) ⓜⓒⓕⓒ I WAS THERE WHEN WE WERE SHIT ¿? ¿? ¿?