WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE TROOP

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
Cityboy
Service Details: Joined at Catterick 1961 served in Germany twice Libya UK

Re: WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE TROOP

Post by Cityboy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:47 pm

C squadron MT for me some great memories I have for my time then with Norman " Tommy" stott..mick "eccles" floyd..rottie Morris .Tony Jones Pete Alden .pat Grant Terry (top footballer) Dave Watson (top footballer) .kevin "chiny" burns ( top footballer) .kevin Harrison his brother Bob ...it was a bit like watching MAN CITY!!!! If I remember 1420h team had 8or 9 players from the CRUEL C

Cityboy
Service Details: Joined at Catterick 1961 served in Germany twice Libya UK

Post by Cityboy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:25 pm

C sqadron mt in benghazi. More names I bring to my old mind ....Tommy Tickle ....scored hat tricks regular ...Johnny Downey ...I misspelt.Pete ASPDEN ....Dave Bosher noddy.Gregory ......great times ......Billy Garbutt on the sidelines ....Jim Prescott ....anyone remember this lot????? City boy....

Syd Jones
Service Details: Joined at Wolverhampton April 1952. Basic training at Hadrian's Camp, Carlisle. Posted to Recce Troop, 14th/20th KH at Crookham Hants. Regt. moved to Sabratha, Libya on ss 'Lancashire in Nov. '52. Recce Troop disbanded on arrival, posted to 'A' Squadron. Flew to Canal Zone '53 & '54 for div. exercises & div. motorcycle trial. On demob. in '54 posted to Staffs. Yeomanry. Finally stood down 1956.

Post by Syd Jones » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Getting down to troop level would be a bit hopeful, but at Sabratha in the early fifties 'A squadron was the place to be and a yardstick for the rest. Sqdn. ldr. Major BCL Tayleur, a cracking 'sir'. The best I ever met. 2/ic. Capn. 'Wild Bill' Garbutt. A real character, life was never dull with Bill around! I remember one night march in the 'Comet' when we hit an old anti tank ditch full pelt. Bill peered down the gunners hatch at me on the floor of the turret: "You all right cpl. Jones?" "F--k me, we've killed him!" Manfully, I struggled back up on to the loaders seat. "I'm OK sir." Didn't like to spoil the moment by admitting that I'd nodded off. We seemed to have a succession of 'young sirs'. Lts. Goodheart, Guisseppi, Bromley, plus others. SSM 'Wog' Hardwidge, SQSM Collins, Sgts. 'Terry' Tasker, Williams, Walker, Macgregor, Cundy (later WO2.) Cpls. Tony Belcher, Reg Hart, Jock Cochran, Johnny Boss, Reg? Harris, Charlie Farrand, Bill Atkins. So many... and so few still with us I fancy.

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Post by PINKY » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:14 pm

Best troop was the first one:
B Squadron 2nd Troop in Hohne.
Too many names to mention however Waggy was SSM. Major Edge OC. Joe schoey then Al Bev was SQMS. Troop Sgt was Paddy Cullen, had a few troop cpls like Bert Wilde and Frank Woods.
Troop Ldr became a General - Adrian Bradshaw.
Brilliant Corps des Spirit (morale).
Pinky

bodge
Service Details: A squadron 1952-1954

Post by bodge » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:13 am

Hi Sid. 3rd troop A squad my crew joint commanders C apt. Garbutt & sgt. Bill Williams driver Fred Atkins operator Joe Robinson.
Best mates John Pike Dia Davis Wally Walker.
other names Slim Bonfield R Stoodly( always on a charge) Speedy cannot member his name and the sgt who was demoted
Bo for been drunk on guard parade.Plus those who help me after my accident with the B.E.S.A.
Bodge