There’s nout so queer as folk !

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

There’s nout so queer as folk !

Post by Bill Bentley » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:46 am

The Scots are a strange breed indeed. For hundreds of years they have fought, and still are resisting, their natural relationship with their only land locked partner: England.

We English, who are really Italians (Romans), Germans (Angles & Saxons), French (William the Conquerer), all of whom had Scandinavian roots (the Vikings), admire and respect our rebellious neighbours, but we are confused by the so called ‚Scottish Nationalists‘, who it seems hate us ‚English‘ because we have robbed them of their ‚Freedom’.

Nevertheless, they want to surrender their sovereignty to the European Union, where they would be a tiny insignificant member of a crumbling Empire that never was, instead of the second most important ‚independent Nation‘ in a powerful United Kingdom, how odd !

mick burgess
Service Details: Joined Boy's Sqn RAC Sepy 1956
Joined B Sqn Berlin Dec 1958
Joined C Sqn Celle Feb 1960
Posted Hohne Regt came together1961
Benghazi, Cyprus, Perham Down, Lulworth,
Tidworth, Herford, Manchester, Lulworth,
Catterick, Munster 1992 KRH Lulworth.
Retired Dec 2006 after 50 years/6 months

Re: There’s nout so queer as folk !

Post by mick burgess » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:51 pm

What do you expect when they all wear "Skirts no offence meant
:lol: :roll: :oops:

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Post by Arnie » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:39 am

Hi Bill and Mick, as usual Bill hit the nail right on the head. Don't need to say anything else. Except try to remind everyone of the power of propaganda.
Talking about propaganda, did any of you see Saint Greta Thunberg on a childrens panel being questioned by the audience. A reporter stood up and asked her a two part question, just simple 'Dorothy Dixon' questions, but she had no script and mumbled and bumbled till she had to hand the question off to another member of the panel. Her parents need prosecuting for child abuse for filling her head with the nonsense she spouts, all carefully scripted of course.

Arnie :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:29 am

Arnie,

Saint Greta might be (is) an odd kid and I'm glad that mine have turned out to be more moderate, but the message that she preaches is as near to the truth as can be. Yes, yes, all of the new taxes won't make anything better, that's just a scam to fill the plundered vaults, but you should not shoot the messenger who tells the truth, even if you will not accept what is obvious !

Whilst I agree 99% with what she says, like a friend of mine said: "it's not five to 12, it's already five past !!!!!
It's too late, we can't stop what we have set in motion and the climate will make life unbearable for many millions of people, they will try to run away from their homelands and we will try to keep them out, but they will come and they will plunder, as we did when we went to their homelands :shock: .
At the end of the day there is nothing that can solve the problem until at least a half of the worlds human population is dead. Whether the remaining humans will be able to survive is questionable because our so called civilization has poisoned their air, their water and their land which should provide their food ... it will be hard going :evil: .

Luckily we have had time to enjoy our stay and our own passing will not solve the problem so let's hang around a bit longer and enjoy things as much as we can, because we can't change a damn thing :?

Mick, good to see that you are also still active, keep 'em commin :D .

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Post by Arnie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:06 am

Hi Bill, no long diatribe about climate change (which I agree with, the Climate has always changed) but on this I disagree wholeheartedly. The Professor who first proposed this in 1952, before he died sometime later, he admitted he had been wrong about his conclusions. Too late some of his students had taken it to heart and never heard the retraction. One, Al Gore, heard him speak and then became later the VICE President of the US and the WORLD changed and made him lots and lots of money, pushing this INCONVENIENT LIE.
How are you Bill long time No ear? Agree with your message to Mick, keep em coming.
Arnie :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:53 pm

ear, ear, had a lot on my plate. Decided to sell our smallholding and go on the road for as long as we can. Amazing what one collects when one has loads of space. It hurts to let so much go ! Just waiting for a few formalities then we're off again. It's much later than we wanted so will be dashing through France, slowing down in Spain, want to be in Portugal before December ... got some land to look at :D . Or maybe just an apartment, will have to see what takes our fancy.

By then we should know what has become of Brexit. If you think politics have gone mad in the UK, don't worry, that's the european norm. Germany, France, Spain and Italy are all at breaking point. Poland is looking more than a bit dodgy. Up in the Alps they tried to silence Sebastian Kurz, but the people at altitude are obviously 'cooler' than the idiots down at sea level. The banks now charge us for keeping our money with them and even pass on negative-interest-rate-losses to us their customers. Add that to inflation and we the people are loosing about 5% per year on every penny we have (had) :twisted: :twisted:

Our NATO partner Turkey has gone on the rampage and is murdering the Kurds who saved us, the west, from the Islamic State. How dare our leaders talk about loyalty or standing by our allies. ALL European Politicians are 'concerned' that I.S. fighters might escape from Kurdish prisons or even get injured. Well what a fucking shame, they are the scum of the earth and lost any rights to 'fair play' when they did what they did fighting for the I.S. They should be shot by the guards whilst trying to escape ... end of story !

Do our Mr (and Mrs) nice guys seriously think we can rid ourselves of them by being nice to them, giving them a fair trial (costing our taxpayers millions). Feeding and clothing them till they are old enough for a pension ... it makes me sick to be any part of it all !

And who amongst us thinks that all of the munitions exploding is helping the climate to recover, :oops: , sorry was trying to forget all about how we humans are ACCELERATING CLIMATE CHANGE :shock: .

One more point: The fuel consumed on our journey to Portugal is less than we would need to heat our new flat throughout the winter and it's amazing how little energy one needs to keep a caravan comfortable ... much of which comes from the solar which we put on the roof.

Still trying to make the best of whats on offer ... till it runs out :lol: :lol:

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Post by PINKY » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:51 am

Howdy,
Have a safe trip Bill, hope its better than last time.
Lots of young protesters trying to get noticed around the world about the problems 'we' have caused for the future of the planet. Strange how they only protest on 'school days'. Stranger how they are all on cell phones, drove to the meet up areas and leave rubbish behind them for grown ups to pick up.
The world is a mess, my mess, your mess, I don't care too much about the far future what concerns me more is Brexit, The Canadian Vote and the poor state of Manchester United. Climate change is just nature IMO. We aren't helping much but those who want huge and expensive changes still use petrol, fly in planes, use social media and blame others. What a mess.
ATB
Pinky

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:41 am

Hi Yall, anybody notice that when St Greta sailed across the Atlantic, rather than fly, they had to FLY two seamen across to bring the boat back. You are right Pinky, a lot of free, non-Josef Goebbles (?) media asked some of the protesting children if they would be at the protest if it had been held on Saturday? We all know what the answer was!!
Arnie :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:23 am

Thanks for the good wishes Pinky, I know that Arnie also wanted to say that, but got overwhelmed thinking about Saint Greta.

The simple fact is there is no longer any right way to do anything. Greta sailing to the US was a gag and probably a once in a lifetime experience she will not want to relive. Doing a charity walk to raise funds for cripples might well piss them off because they couldn't do the walk themselves. Calling homo's, who are going through a depression, 'Gay' could be considered to be torture. And, the politics of BREXIT being decided on by the courts who are supposed to be neutral contradicts the logic of the British System.

Where will it all end ... ? If I knew that I would be driving in the opposite direction :lol:

Portugal seems to be doing well at not getting involved in all of the madness. Land and property are comparatively cheap, the weather, in certain regions, is milder than much of the rest of Europe, Canada or Australia for instance.

If we don't test it for ourselves we shall never know and probably die wishing we had, so, we are oiling that what needs oil and greasing the rest for good measure. Then we're off, we're off, we're off in a motor car 60 coppers will be after us and they won't know where we are :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !

john kerwin
Service Details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

Post by john kerwin » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:00 pm

Bill,
Can tell you are not in England , we ain't got 60 coppers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:06 am

Hi Bill, you are quite right, I would have but didn't.... Let me correct that now! You and Rahi have a safe, great and I hope a worthwhile journey and that you are successful in your land deal or search for an apartment. Whatever you get the climate in Portugal will be better than the Northern German Plain, specially in winter. Anyway all the best in your future endeavours.
Arnie :D :D :D :D :D

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:35 am

Thanks Arnie all our best to you and Brenda too !

John,

I thought BoJo was upping the numbers by 20,000 :shock:. Not that I think that more bobbies is the answer.

When I watch how the Spanish Police lash out at their peaceful protesters it really makes me ask myself: is this law and order ? Or is this an oppressive state trying to beat their own people into submission; no wonder that Catalonia wants to be free ! 100 years prison for a few politicians who stood up to be voted into power is crazy.
I have seen the German police do similar to peaceful protesters down in Stutgart. High powered pepper spray directly into the eyes of people who were just sitting there. These were not vandals but mature citizens trying to demonstrate against the insane building projects of a nutty government. Berlins new airport is another thorn in the side of taxpayers, it being many years overdue and billions of euro's dearer than originally estimated.
In France the yellow vests are still protesting and being beaten up by their own police and all this in the middle of the civilized part of Europe.
The suicide rate amongst these police forces is alarming to say the least, perhaps because they are not happy about what they are being forced into doing ?
But the press no longer report on it.

The press is too busy showing us Hong Kong and telling us what a terrible state China is for wanting to send criminals to the mainland :? .

We desperately need to get out of Europe and sort out our own problems without the ECJ being able to overrule our laws !

In Portugal in the early 70's when the then dictator sent troops out on to the streets to crush protesters, the protesters placed carnations into the barrels of the soldiers guns. The soldiers refused to shoot or even beat up their own people, instead returning to barracks and so the dictator of the day fell from power. So, perhaps there is something that we Brits can learn from Europe ...

bodge
Service Details: A squadron 1952-1954

Post by bodge » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:24 pm

May I just say it is nice to see the site been used again'
Bodge

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:11 am

Hi Bodge, we can all thank Bill for injecting a new subject into our discussions. This in itself invigorates the site. I must say I would rather be on here than be dictated to by lying Zuckerberg.
Arnie :D :D :D :D :D

bodge
Service Details: A squadron 1952-1954

Post by bodge » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:21 pm

Me Two Bodge