Leyland L60 Chieftain engine

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
LeylandLad
Service Details: I am a member of The Leyland Society a group of approximately 500 members interested in the history of Leyland Motors Ltd. The Society publishes a journal four times a year and I’m currently in the process of writing a series of articles on the Leyland L60 engine fitted to the Chieftain tank. I’ve looked at some of the postings on your site and also the photographs and I’d like to use some of the information in my articles and possibly make contact through your forum to see if anyone can provide me with any background on the L60 in service.
Kind regards
Bill Pitcher

Leyland L60 Chieftain engine

Post by LeylandLad » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:17 pm

Hi, I’m writing a series of articles on the Leyland L60 engine fitted in the Chieftain tank. The articles will be published in the Leyland Journal a quarterly magazine published by the Leyland Society.
I worked for Leyland Motors for 49 years and have been lucky enough to have access to a lot of archived material but I’d like to know more about the service record of the L60 i.e. problems encountered, maintenance and reliability issues plus any anecdotes anyone might have, also any photographs. I’ve seen a couple of photos of a powerpack change but I’m not sure who to ask for permission to use them.
Any help would be much appreciated and contributions would be fully acknowledged in my articles.

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Re: Leyland L60 Chieftain engine

Post by PINKY » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:40 am

Get the Haynes manual from Amazon on the tank.
Full of L60 info.
Good luck
Pinky

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Post by PINKY » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:43 am

6C1441B1-7138-42F2-94AB-B0C6C007D073.jpeg
6C1441B1-7138-42F2-94AB-B0C6C007D073.jpeg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 1062 times

LeylandLad
Service Details: I am a member of The Leyland Society a group of approximately 500 members interested in the history of Leyland Motors Ltd. The Society publishes a journal four times a year and I’m currently in the process of writing a series of articles on the Leyland L60 engine fitted to the Chieftain tank. I’ve looked at some of the postings on your site and also the photographs and I’d like to use some of the information in my articles and possibly make contact through your forum to see if anyone can provide me with any background on the L60 in service.
Kind regards
Bill Pitcher

Post by LeylandLad » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:27 pm

Cheers Pinky, I’ve already got a copy and found it very useful.