An Irish view of Africa !!!!!!

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
mick burgess
Service Details: Joined Boy's Sqn RAC Sepy 1956
Joined B Sqn Berlin Dec 1958
Joined C Sqn Celle Feb 1960
Posted Hohne Regt came together1961
Benghazi, Cyprus, Perham Down, Lulworth,
Tidworth, Herford, Manchester, Lulworth,
Catterick, Munster 1992 KRH Lulworth.
Retired Dec 2006 after 50 years/6 months

An Irish view of Africa !!!!!!

Post by mick burgess » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:48 am

I received an email from Arnie Greenwood saying he had tried to put this article on our site but had a problem logging in could I do it. So being a good HAWK I always obeyed the last command.
Its a controversial view from an Irish reporter please dont shoot the messenger.
Take care old friends. Mick/Marion :oops: :shock: :cry:

Kevin Myers (born 30 March 1947) is an Irish journalist and writer. He writes for the Irish edition of the Sunday Times, having previously been a columnist for the Irish Independent and a former contributor to The Irish Times, where he wrote the "An Irishman's Diary" opinion column several times weekly. Until 2005, he wrote for the UK Sunday Telegraph.
His articles criticize left-wing opinion and the "liberal consensus", sometimes incorporating hyperbole, sarcasm and parody.
"Somalia is not a humanitarian disaster; it is an evolutionary disaster. The current drought is not the worst in 50 years, as the BBC and all the aid organizations claim.
It is nothing compared to the droughts in 1960/61 or 73/74. And there are continuing droughts every 5 years or so.
It's just that there are now four times the population; having been kept alive by famine relief, supplied by aid organizations, over the past 50 years.
So, of course, the effects of any drought now, is a famine. They cannot even feed themselves in a normal rainfall year.

Worst yet, the effects of these droughts, and poor nutrition in the first 3 years of the a child's life, have a lasting effect on the development of the infant brain, so that if they survive, they will never achieve a normal IQ .
Consequently, they are selectively breeding a population who cannot be educated, let alone one that is not being educated; a recipe for disaster

We are seeing this impact now, and it can only exacerbate, to the detriment of their neighbors, and their environment as well. This scenario can only end in an even worse disaster; with even worse suffering, for those benighted people, and their descendants. Eventually, some mechanism will intervene, be it war, disease or starvation.

So what do we do? Let them starve?
What a dilemma for our Judeo/Christian/Islamic Ethos; as well as Hindu/Buddhist morality. And this is beginning to happen in Kenya, Ethiopia and other countries in Asia, like Pakistan. Is this the beginning of the end of civilization?

AFRICA is giving nothing to anyone outside Africa -- apart from AIDS and new diseases. Even as we see African states refusing to take action to restore something resembling civilization in Zimbabwe, the begging bowl for Ethiopia is being passed around to us out of Africa, yet again.
It is nearly 25 years since the famous Feed The World campaign began in Ethiopia, and in that timeEthiopia's population has grown from 33.5 million to 78+ million today.
So, why on earth should I do anything to encourage further catastrophic demographic growth in that country?
Where is the logic? There is none. Now they want to move to other countries to continue to breed and commit crime.

To be sure, there are two things saying that logic doesn't count. One is my conscience, and the other is the picture, yet again, of another wide-eyed child, yet again, gazing,
yet again, at the camera, which yet again, captures the tragedy of children starving.

Sorry. My conscience has toured this territory on foot and financially. Unlike most of you, I have been to Ethiopia; like most of you, I have stumped up the loot to charities to stop starvation there. The wide-eyed boy-child we saved, 20 years or so ago, is now a low IQ, AK 47-bearing moron, siring children whenever the whim takes him and blaming the world because he is uneducated, poor and left behind. There is no doubt a good argument why we should prolong this predatory and dysfunctional economic, social and sexual system but I do not know what it is. There is, on the other hand, every reason not to write a column like this.
It will win no friends and will provoke the self-righteous wrath of, well, the self-righteous hand wringing, letter writing wrathful individuals; a species which never fails to contaminate almost every debate in Irish life with its sneers and its moral superiority. It will also probably enrage some of the finest men in Irish life, like John O'Shea, of Goal; and the Finucane brothers, men whom I admire enormously.

So be it.

But, please, please, you self-righteously wrathful, spare me mention of our own Irish Famine, with this or that lazy analogy. There is no comparison!
Within 20 years of the Famine, the Irish population was down by 30%. Over the equivalent period, thanks to western food, the Mercedes 10-wheel truck and the Lockheed Hercules plane, Ethiopia's population has more than doubled.

Alas, that wretched country is not alone in its madness.
Somewhere, over the rainbow, lies Somalia, another fine land of violent, AK 47-toting, khat-chewing, girl-circumcising, permanently tumescent layabouts and housing pirates of the ocean. Indeed, we now have almost an entire continent of sexually hyperactive, illiterate indigents, with tens of millions of people who only survive because of help from the outside world or allowances by the semi-communist Governments they voted for, money supplied by borrowing it from the World Bank!

This dependency has not stimulated political prudence or common sense.
Indeed, voodoo idiocy seems to be in the ascendant, with the president of South Africa being a firm believer in the efficacy of a little tap water on the post-coital penis as a sure preventative against AIDS infection. Needless to say, poverty, hunger and societal meltdown have not prevented idiotic wars involving Tigre, Uganda, Congo, Sudan, Somalia, Eritrea etcetera.

Broad brush-strokes, to be sure.
But broad brush-strokes are often the way that history paints its gaudier, if more decisive, chapters.
Japan, China, Russia, Korea, Poland, Germany, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia in the 20th century have endured worse broad brush-strokes than almost any part of Africa. They are now -- one way or another -- virtually all giving aid to or investing in Africa, whereas Africa, with its vast Savannahs and its lush pastures, is giving almost nothing to anyone, apart from AIDS.

Meanwhile, Africa's peoples are outstripping their resources and causing catastrophic ecological degradation.
By 2050, the population of Ethiopia will be 177 million; the equivalent of France, Germany and Benelux today, but located on the parched and increasingly Protein-free wastelands of the Great Rift Valley. So, how much sense does it make for us actively to increase the adult population of what is already a vastly over-populated, environmentally devastated and economically dependent country?

How much morality is there in saving an Ethiopian child from starvation today, for it to survive to a life of brutal circumcision, poverty, hunger, violence and sexual abuse, resulting in another half-dozen such wide-eyed children, with comparably jolly little lives ahead of them?

Of course, it might make you feel better, which is a prime reason for so much charity!

But that is not good enough.
For self-serving generosity has been one of the curses of Africa. It has sustained political systems which would otherwise have collapsed.
It prolonged the Eritrean-Ethiopian war by nearly a decade.
It is inspiring Bill Gates' programme to rid the continent of malaria, when, in the almost complete absence of personal self-discipline, that disease is one of the most efficacious forms of population-control now operating. If his programme is successful, tens of millions of children who would otherwise have died in infancy will survive to adulthood, he boasts.

Oh good: then what? I know, let them all come here (to Ireland). Germany and the rest of Europe is already inundated and there are literally millions queuing up who want a hand out, taking in refugees because you feel sorry for them will end in the demise of those countries taking part.

You will note that; No Gulf State is taking any refugees, and the head of the human rights commission is Saudi Arabian!

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Re: An Irish view of Africa !!!!!!

Post by Arnie » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:30 am

Hi Yall,
I am sorry people, but I don't necessarily believe in this but it does give one pause for thought. As Mick says don't blame the messenger, I just thought you might be interested in what he (the Author) had to say, brutal, callous and harsh as it is.
Again sorry.

Arnie :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Post by Bill Bentley » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:43 am

No need to be sorry Arnie and I couldn't agree more that one should not shoot the messenger Mick :) !

Some may recall that I have for YEARS been saying: "following any local disaster where people require international help, sterilization should be a part of the help package", to prevent exactly that what Paddy has so accurately portrayed.

People support charities, and 'rescue ships', to buy themselves a clean conscience and then ignore the consequences.

Merkel, against all standing EU regulations, illegally caused about 3 million migrants to enter Europe over the past couple of years and they are still arriving, many trying to get to the UK. In this respect the EU is a sinking ship, weighted down by its own correctness and all the King's horses and all the King's men etc. etc., as an example:

For more than a decade a former bodyguard of Bin Laden has been living off social security and has refused to partake of any work that would help him to support himself. All theses years the state, at great expense to the public purse, has been trying, through the courts, to get him deported. After years of pulling and pushing he was deported a couple of weeks ago. Later, at an appeal, it was decide that his rights had been infringed upon and now they have decided that, again at great expense to the public purse, he must be brought back. These people have their heads firmly stuck up their own arses and are a danger to our public well being !

This is one of the main reason why we MUST have Brexit and a clean hard Brexit, it seems, is the only sure way of regaining control of our borders and regaining the jurisdiction of our own courts.

This has nothing to do with racism, I myself have lived abroad for more than half of my life, in Africa, Asia and the USA as well as in Europe and I know well what it is like to be the foreigner / alien !

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Post by Arnie » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:29 am

Hi Yall, Bill and Mick.

My source for the above submission was telling me that the article was published in Ireland 11 years ago. He then pointed out that this was long before Auntie Angela opened her mouth and that the article was very prescient. As for your solution, Bill, I have held that view for a couple of months now, well if I am honest its been more than a couple of years. You would think that Bill Gates would find a way to spend his money that would be a permanent solution rather than a 'sticking plaster' solution like eradicating the mosquito which even with all his money is temporary at best. One is reminded old the old adage "give a man a fish and he will feed his family for a day, but give him a fishing line and rod he will feed them for a year". Or something similar.
I was listening to 'Professor' Google the other day and he was telling me that the Israelis are world leaders in water reclamation and are working miracles down the west coast of South America, you know in the countries which get, perhaps an inch of rain in a decade. Their agricultural students who are experts in the systems devised are teaching the indigenous populations how to do it and so far these same indigenous populations are producing, wait for it, edible crops. (Note: My theory on why the Arab nations hate the Israelis so much is that they, the Israelis, are showing them up for the idle bastards that they are. Arabs have lived on the land 'forever', well at least since they threw the Jews out of their homeland a couple of millennia ago, and have done nothing with 'their' land until Oil was discovered under it, giving them the wherewithal to import workers to do everything for them. Incidentally has anyone noticed that ex-pats Brits, Yanks, Pakistanis and all, are leaving the Mid-East countries in droves because, even the huge wages (comparatively) does'nt compensate them for the way they are treated.

End of an Arnie Sermon.

How are you all, well I hope

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Post by Bill Bentley » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:46 am

We, at least, are well, making the most of what is on offer, thanks for asking Arnie.

I rather thought that I had seen this text before, but that takes nothing away from its factual accuracy ! The problem is: most people simply do not want to face up to reality and exactly that is why there is no solution to almost any problem. So, keep on smiling until the shit hits the fan !

I only reply and or send in subject matter to keep this site alive and it's very enjoyable having exchanges with 'the faithful few'. But it is a shame that more do not contribute, they could widen their own horizons or just break the drudgery of their daily grind. But it seems that almost everyone has other priorities and that's fine with me.

Rahi and I are about to embark on our next adventure and so are working to set up our 'Remote Regions Communications System', we shall only know for sure if it works when it is too late to do anything about it, 'mmm. So, it might just be that we are in a black hole for the next few months and whether we shall ever re-emerge, only time can tell.

It will be interesting to see how things will have gone when we are 'back on line' ...

Best regards to one and all send

Bill & Rahi

mick burgess
Service Details: Joined Boy's Sqn RAC Sepy 1956
Joined B Sqn Berlin Dec 1958
Joined C Sqn Celle Feb 1960
Posted Hohne Regt came together1961
Benghazi, Cyprus, Perham Down, Lulworth,
Tidworth, Herford, Manchester, Lulworth,
Catterick, Munster 1992 KRH Lulworth.
Retired Dec 2006 after 50 years/6 months

Post by mick burgess » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi Fella's
Sadly I think a lot of our old pals use this "Twitter/ Tweet" media to keep in touch Rather than this site but hey ho thats life even Trump etc uses it. I have yet to experience this modern comms adiction. When I am out in the sticks with the dog I dont even take a phone so tranquil listening to the trees rustle in the wind birds singing and animals calling their young.
I often meet families and every member has ear phones in their ears they dont know what they are missing. Had a family meal last Xmas and as we sat down to eat Marion-s lovely meal out came the I /pods etc I warned them it was rude and one grandson ignored PA PA so he had to fish it out the loo !!!!!!

Take care both of you and have a great and safe journey Bill Health and happiness for the future M & M :lol: :roll: :oops: :shock:

bodge
Service Details: A squadron 1952-1954

Post by bodge » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:07 am

Hi Bill,
Enjoy your travels and please keep us informed of your journeys.
By the way what make sort of motor home you have and have a trailer with a car on tow?.
Good luck and keep well.
Bodge.

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Post by PINKY » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:53 pm

Take care Bill & Rahi.
Safe travels.
ATB
Pinky