… _ _ _ … 999 SOS

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

… _ _ _ … 999 SOS

Post by Bill Bentley » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:26 am

There has been little in my life that has moved me as much as what I am about to tell you.

The two most essential things for a healthy life are: Fresh air and clean water, there can be no ‚good food‘ without fresh air and clean water ! As individuals there is little that we can do to improve the quality of the air that we breathe, but there is a lot that we can do to improve the quality of the water that we drink.

We have all heard that „in the future wars will be fought over water“ but will it be worth fighting for ?

During our lifetime water has become so polluted that it is hardly fit to drink ! One of the main pollutants is the medication that the ever increasing number of people consume; most of which lands in the toilet and so in our rivers which are then used to provide drinking water or to irrigate our crops. Our fields are sprayed with pesticides and fertilizers to feed the masses and this also ends up in our drinking water and food. So does the soup that drips none stop from our rubbish dumps into the ground, only to be pumped back up to be used as drinking water or to irrigate our crops. The list of polluters is endless, aircraft, ships and cars, central heating, air-conditioning, WAR, etc. etc. etc.. Indeed recently it has been proven that not only is our rain ‚sour‘ but that it is now also contaminated with mercury. And we all drink this filth !

There are all sorts of filters out there on the market. Filters ‚retain the filth’ until they are full, then they themselves become toxic. So you have to change them regularly, before they become toxic, and that is VERY expensive.

My wife and I have been aware of this problem for years but have never found a satisfying answer until we stumbled across the solution (pardon the pun) recently. Contrary to popular belief, distilled water is not bad for you ! Indeed it is just about the only water still clean enough to drink. This is essential to understand because most waters are so ‚full‘ that they can not dissolve and carry away the contaminants from within your own body. Indeed our bodies have become, like any filter that does not get cleaned, toxic, and that is the route cause of many an illness !!!

There are lots of water distillation machines out there on the market and they are not all that expensive. We ordered ours just last night because we are utterly convinced that there is no wiser way to invest what little money we have.

Everyone asks ‚how are you‘ and wish each other ‚all the best‘ … me too !

Bill Bentley

Bill Bentley

Re: … _ _ _ … 999 SOS

Post by Bill Bentley » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:56 am

Well, I must say, I am amazed, 87 views to date and not a single reaction. On one of my other regimental sites there was a lot of taking the piss but also a few that outed themselves as drinkers of distilled liquids, including water.

I seriously believe this to be the best tip that I have ever given anybody. I have been involved with water since the early '90's and so I am well aware of the contamination problems, but I have never found a practical solution to the problem. Distilling water at home, drinking it and even using this water to cook etc. can seriously improve your health, at the very least, it will help remove existing contamination from your body AND dramatically reduce the intake of new contamination; all of which can only be good for you.

I now feel a bit stupid 'wishing everyone well', when it seems that many don't care whether they are well or not.

But, as we horse people say: You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink :( :( !

Bob_H
Site Admin
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Post by Bob_H » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:44 pm

Bill,

I hate you being alone, so I'll join in :)

A few months back the water supply into our homes was cut off when a United Utilities check revealed that traces of cryptosporidium had found its way into the supply. At the time it was advised that water should be boiled in all intended cases of consumption, since boiling 'kills' the microscopic parasite .

In the case of the area in which I live the supply was restored much later than in many other areas until all trace (or at least down to an acceptable level) had been reached. I'm so pleased that we receive this level of service from our suppliers.

During discussions it emerged that our tap water is healthier than spring water, bottled water and rainwater.

Of course distillation will purify, but does it make as good a cup of tea?
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:24 pm

Hi Bob,

you are a darling … sometimes :wink: .

I’m pleased to hear that you are happy with the quality of your tap water. What did they tell you ? Healthier than fresh spring water ! Based on the fact that all spring waters are contaminated, being better than spring water is still not the same as being ‚pure clean drinking water‘ and it should bring up the question 'what is wrong with fresh spring water' ???
Rain water gets dosed up not only by industrial pollution but, as I previously mentioned, aircraft, ship and car exhaust gases etc. etc..
Many bottled waters are just tap water with fizz in them and most mineral waters are overdosed with minerals that the human body can not utilize, so I would have to agree with your informant.
But none of them are 'pure clean drinking water which is what the human body needs !

It is also one thing for the water-works to quality control the water leaving their works; it may well be another thing by the time it comes out of your tap.

I’ll try one example:
Since lead piping, (which had been used for transporting water since houses were first connected to the mains), was prohibited in the UK, somewhere in the late 60’s, almost all houses have been fitted with copper piping for heating and drinking water. Assuming that the plumber was a water fitter and not just a heating fitter and did low temperature soldering, and used lead free solder, as opposed to high temperature soldering, which was banned (here) in 1995, then all regulations of the day had been satisfied.
In the early 90’s, press fittings were introduced to try and get around the ‚jointing problems‘, but this did not, as was hoped, solve the seepage of copper into drinking water.
Today (here in Germany) it is forbidden to fit any copper piping to carry drinking water !
Instead they mostly use plastic piping, and I promise you that in ten more years they will ban that rubbish too, because the uncontrollable cocktail of chemicals in today's water dissolves the plastic pipes from the inside and you drink, to all intent and purpose, diluted petroleum along with everything else that was already in the water.
The only piping on the market that is (thought to be) safe is stainless steel piping.

How many of you guys have stainless steel piping ? And even if you do, that just removes copper and petroleum from the equation. The water-works actually use bleach and aluminum, amongst many other agents, to try and clean the water, but adding things is not the same as removing contaminants. In fact the bleach does kill many 'problem causers' and their poisoned remains carry on floating in your drinking water, cheers !
It’s a bit like using an air-freshener-spray to overpower other unpleasant smells. It’s just another more powerful smell, so that you don’t notice the first offending stink, which you then continue to breathe-in alongside the air freshener which is almost certainly more harmful than any fart could ever be.

As for a good cup of tea, I'm still drinking what you sent me, there is a world of difference ! Using tap water we always had black deposits and stains in our cups and indeed the tea was black. With distilled water the tea is rosa to red and has a pleasant fragrance and even tastes good without milk. The same applies to coffee. Our kettle now remains spotless, no limescale whatsoever, which also means that boiling the kettle does not take as long either. Is it a good brew ? It tastes very different than what we were used to and that takes some getting used too but once your pallet has acquired the taste it's delicious.

PS: The authorities knew, long before they introduced lead piping, that the lead water piping used in ancient Rome was one of the causes of the fall of the Roman Empire. How ? Consuming lead (and copper and mercury) slowly causes Alzheimers, and several other diseases who’s names I have forgotten :lol: :lol: :lol: !

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:57 am

Well, even though nobody other than Bob has replied, with 174 viewings somebody out there is showing an interest and so I want to push you all a bit further:

We have all, since the day we were born, been consuming water, drinking it, washing ourselves in it, washing our clothes, utensils and cars in it, bathing in it, polluting it etc. etc. but we know so very little about it. Unavoidably we all know the three states of water, ice = solid, wet = liquid and steam = gas, but who knows about the fourth state of water ?

Modern science has rediscovered that water goes through a liquid crystal state in between the liquid and Ice states and this could be very important not only for our health but it also has potentially incredible engineering uses too. Should anybody have a couple of hours to invest, here is the door to a new way of thinking:

http://www.alleinklang.de/dr-pollack-ez ... es-wasser/

(If the text appears in German, don't worry, the films are in English. If you want a short cut just watch the third film which contains most of the essentials of the previous two films).

For those who can't be bothered, here is the short version of my understanding:
Light is the primary source of energy that increases the EZ (Exclusion Zone = the liquid crystal state) which is the the part of the water which does us the most good. Freezing water is another way of increasing the EZ.

This being so, freezing the water and then melting it again and thereafter pouring water into a clear glass vessel and placing it in bright light will increase the EZ. The larger the surface area of the water the better the effect. (The easy version of this is to add ice cubes to your drinking water).
Do be aware that distilled water first freezes way below zero, downwards of - 5°C.
Drinking fruit juices is probably the best way to take on board EZ water, because dear old mother nature has been using the sun and water to produce EZ water, via photosynthesis, since life began on earth. Of course the quality of the fruit = the quality of the juice. Fruits drenched in pesticides and fed on chemical fertilizers are in my opinion very suspect.

It's all about our health, nothing will make us young again, damage done is damage done, but I am convinced that we can slow down the deterioration and live a better quality of life ... if we so choose !

All the very best
Bill

john kerwin
Service Details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

Post by john kerwin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:12 pm

bill;
not the quality of water. but the best I ever drank was out of a jerry can, after breaking down and being left stranded in the desert for 3 days without a drop. rescued by A squadron LAD. also the best cheese in the world was out of the compo pack they gave us. have had a soft spot for the REME ever since

rick aindow
Service Details: 1965 - 1980 started with C Sqn, went to A Sqn on promotion, finished in HQ Sqn Families Office. Postings inc. Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, NI, Tidworth, Herford, Various annual Snow Queens, 63 Army Youth Team, RAC Display Team, Hohne, Bovington

Post by rick aindow » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:43 pm

Not the best tasting but the most welcome drink was, again, in the desert, broken down, all water gone just me and Barny McVey, straining coolant from a mk2 ferret through a sock of mine. REME turned up an hour later thank god!
From Brisbane Queensland, beautiful one day, perfect the next

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:49 pm

John, things sure taste better when you have been going without for a while, food water or a nice juicy ... :oops: .

Rick, you could have used a solar still to distill the coolant, urine etc. but using your sock as a filter might have made the liquid taste even worse :lol:
It was without antifreeze I presume, your being in the desert and all that, otherwise :( .

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Incase anybody is still looking in on this topic ...

Just thought I'd add this extract from an interview given by Randy Johnson, one of the few people who give objective information about water quality and ways of improving the same ...

"Josh: Now that we've discussed what water is chemically and what it isn't, as well as talked about the daily rate of consumption, let's get into water storage and transport. I'm talking pipes and plastics: PVC, PEX (relatively new on the scene), and of course the signature if not so stalwart copper. Last year the copper pipes in our 30 year old house were ripped out and replaced with PEX. The pipes were degrading at the seams and leakage was very clear in a number of places.

Randy: You probably noticed blue-green stains in sinks, toilets and tubs as your copper pipes dissolved. Two common causes of copper pipe deterioration is soft, acidic water and/or grounding of the building's electrical system to the metal water pipes (Editor's note: grounding wires WERE grounded to the copper pipes). These same conditions can also dissolve dangerous levels of lead out of pipes and faucets.

Plastic is increasingly used nowadays, however different polymers seem to either interact with the chemicals used to disinfect the water, or to trap unpleasant odors that form during the extrusion process; even the surface lining of the pipe itself can oxidize and infuse tap water with a characteristic smell.

After centuries of mostly good and more recently sometimes-bad experiences with copper piping, plastic pipes were introduced a few decades ago. Ironically, plastic pipes both solved and created problems, including catastrophic failure, unexpected taste-and-odor problems, and high organometallic concentrations all of which prompted increased testing of materials for plumbing.

Below are some links to some articles about drinking water pipes:

http://www.purdue.edu/envirosoft/privat ... iping3.htm - types of plastic pipe in use and their characteristics - nothing about adding contaminants, and some can be certified by NSF for safety. Discusses PE but not PEX pipe.
http://www2.oakland.edu/chemistry/docs/Tomboulian.pdf - Materials used in drinking water distribution systems: contribution to taste-and-odor
http://ewb.wsu.edu/?q=node/91 - HELP!! Possible PVC Alternatives?
http://www.mii.vt.edu/SURP/past/05abstracts/martin.pdf - research
found ethyl-t-butyl ether (ETBE) in drinking water after exposure to cross
linked polyethylene (PEX) pipes.
http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=325&page=65 - studies done on PVC pipe.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ss299 Di(2-ethylhexyl)adipate - General toxic effects or reproductive difficulties Vinyl chloride

- Increased risk of cancer Leaching from PVC plumbing systems; discharge from chemical factories" :( :(

The link below, by Randy Johnson, really is recommended reading (it'll take you a couple of days to work through it all but it is well worth it !):

http://www.cyber-nook.com/water/distilledwater.htm

Cheers to one and all

Bill

tigger
Service Details: JLR RAC 1971-1972, 14/20 kh 1972 - 1992. Herford, Bovinton, Cyprus, Omagh, Warminster, Hohne, Croyden, Catterick, Manchester, Munster, NI tours, Gulf 1,

Post by tigger » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:56 am

Hi Bill

m
not been on the site for a while. hope your well.

thanks for the article very informative

Cheers TREV