VETERAN QUIZ

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Re: VETERAN QUIZ

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:30 pm

A = Red B = Yellow C+ Blue D = Black HQ = Blue & Yellow

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Post by Bill Bentley » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:09 am

Thanks Phil,

C = Blue, at least that adds up.

More questions oh Oracle, would this be right ?
In Tidworth, 1972, we had Saladin & Co.
In Herford, 1973, we were on CVRT.
In Warminster, 1976, Tanks ?
Lulworth, 1977/8, was for me, Range Troop.
and Höhne, 1978/9, again Tanks ?

Just trying to fit a puzzle together ...

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:57 pm

Tidworth Wheeled Sal and FSC 73 Herford CVR(T) B. Sqn still on Saladin untill return from NI 74 in 76 A Sqn Warminster rest in Bovington and Lulworth so a mixture. Oct 77 back to Chieftain in Hohne 85 Catterick so a mixture for Vehicle Sqn 88 Muenster Challenger 1. Berlin Sqn still on Chieftain.

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:57 pm

I bet you didn't even have to look that up !

Thanks all the same !

ALGY CAIN
Service Details: 1967-77. A and C Squadrons.

Post by ALGY CAIN » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:35 pm

Going back to scarves, Support Sqn in Paderborn were green.

Bob Riley
Service Details: A sqn Warminster\Hohne..D sqn Hohne .....C sqn Hohne

Post by Bob Riley » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:57 am

In my service there is only one squadron I never served in ,Billy push ......1962-3 Charley Battery (3 DG) 64-67 1 Flt AAC,67-70 H Q ( stalwart instructor ) MT,70-73 7 Regt AAC ( medic ),73-76 Charley Battery Troop Sgt.( ScotsDG).76-78 A Sqn Warminster (14/20KH ) troop sgt,78-81 Preston Recruiting,81-82 D Sqn Troop S/Sgt/Leader. finishing off with Charley Battery as SQMS.........so four squadrons and four regiments also four mods of transport Centurian,Saladin,Chieftain,Skeeter helicopters,also not counting the UK/NI four countries West Germany,Canada,Norway and Kenya .
In the armoured regiments we had a mixture of cooking devices that the REME sorted for us ,mostly a OMD110 can cut in half with a grill over the top or the tube thro the can for hot water.We even when on Cents had a bivvie bracket on the mono-trailer but most times kipt on the back decks as it was warmer during the early part of the year on Soltau.The best of the lot was the Number one burner we could feed the squadron in minutes ,ok it was not Michilin Star but it was hot/wet/quick.
So finishing off the quiz ,yes back in the day when young and virile the only thing that was constant was the people reading this ,you guys made it worth while,friends mates comrades ,when you meet a guy for the first time in 5-10-20yrs it just like yesterday ,next year its 30 yrs since demob see you in Blackpool.......Bob

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:21 pm

Bob
The inverted funnel through the gallon can was the Igiri fueled by 2 benghazi burners.

Bill dident have to look up the Dates and Vehicles or Sqn colours but the green one eluded me the only time I saw it was in 71 when B.Sqn came back from HK to do annual firing at Lulworth the medic that the regiment sent with us from Tidworth.

Phil

jsj
Service Details: Joined at Wolverhampton April '52. Square bashing at Hadrian's Camp, Carlisle. Joined 14th/20th at Crookham and posted to Recce Troop. Regiment sailed from Liverpool on ss 'Lancashire' in Nov. '52 to Tripoli, Libya and on arrival at Sabratha posted to 'A' Squadron. Flew twice to Canal Zone in '53 & '54 for divisional motorcycle trial & div. exercises, both times returning on LST 'Snowdon Smith'. On demob in '54, posted to Staffs, Yeomanry at W'ton. Finally paid off in '56.

Post by jsj » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:38 pm

Like Bodge, I remember the flares in the barrack rooms at Sabratha when the camp generator packed up. Compo tins full of sand and petrol for lighting, it's a wonder anyone survived! Very good at changing the colour of ceilings, walls and faces. Seem to recall that they were eventually banned, hardly surprising.
Benghazi cookers were a bit different, 75, 77mm or 20pdr shell cases were the favourite starting points, easily fabricated by anybody handy with a hacksaw & soldering iron and were tremendously efficient at boiling water for a brew.
Cheers, Syd.

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:35 pm

Syd
No shell cases on Chieftain so it had to be the Compo tins for us.
Phil

Paul Keller
Service Details: Hohne Nov '78 till June '85, Catterick June '85 till June '87, with six months Belize, March '86 till Sept '86.
Sennelager, June 87 till March '88, March '88 till Oct '90,

Post by Paul Keller » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:42 am

On joining the Regiment in November '78, whilst the majority were in Belfast, i couldn't go because i was only 17 and not 18 till you all returned from leave in March '79, i found myself with the Rear Party, until we all formed up again and i was posted to B Sqn. In '84 i found myself in RHQ Troop, in HQ Sqn, till the formation of GW,Recon and ourselves as A Sqn. I continued in A Sqn at Catterick, till my return from Belize, were i was posted to D Sqn, working in the Signals wing stores, 9 months later i was back in B Sqn in Sennelager, then back to HQ Sqn in Munster, finally finishing in B Sqn in Northern Ireland.
My only stint with C Sqn, involved Ex "Steel Trap" in '79 and Med Man 7 straight after, so i think i actually beat Pinky, by having taken only 7yrs to have been attached to all 5 Squadrons !!
Then it's Trooper this, an Trooper that
And Trooper how's yer soul?
But it's "Hawks are bloody 'ero's"
When the tanks began to roll!

kevman
Service Details: RHQ, PADERBORN 1965 - 'A' SQN PADERBORN - SINGAPORE - TIDWORTH - N.I (3) 1968 - 71, RAC Parachute Regt- TIDWORTH - N.I. 1972, RTU-RHQ TIDWORTH - HERFORD 1973 - 1974.

Post by kevman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:41 pm

Well the scarves for A Squadron as mentioned were red........after the colours of the 20th Hussars......I still have mine. I still have a Centurion commanders hand held mic and lead that was a replacement for one of A Squadrons Cents at Paderborn.....it lingered in A Sqn office until we departed for Singapore and ended up in my MFO box.......hangs from the pelmet in my den......I also have a Amplivox helmet/headset switch unit from one of A Sqns Chieftains......naughty man...!!!!!

Kev.

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:10 pm

Paul
The only word I can think of for you is "Pikey"
Phil

Bulldog
Service Details: 1970-1993

Post by Bulldog » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:35 pm

Scarf Colours I thought HQ was green and RHQ Troop/Forward command troop was yellow and blue ?
Enjoy Life

Paul Keller
Service Details: Hohne Nov '78 till June '85, Catterick June '85 till June '87, with six months Belize, March '86 till Sept '86.
Sennelager, June 87 till March '88, March '88 till Oct '90,

Post by Paul Keller » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:50 pm

Mr Baldwin sir !!!
Romany please if you don't mind, I've bought everything i own !!!!
Then it's Trooper this, an Trooper that
And Trooper how's yer soul?
But it's "Hawks are bloody 'ero's"
When the tanks began to roll!

Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:52 pm

if so Paul,
you'd be the only Didycoy in the world that did !