COMPO TINS

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Bill Butcher
Service Details: Joined 1961. Benghazi,Perham Down,Paderborne,Catterick,Hong Kong,Tidworth,Herford,Bovington,Hohne,Belfast,Deepcut

COMPO TINS

Post by Bill Butcher » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:46 pm

:o I wonder how many german's who have purchased new houses and found Compo tins buried in there new garden?? :lol:

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:59 pm

Bill
Shame on you are you saying that you used to bury them instead of returning them squashed flat to the SQMS for proper disposal. The residents of Bisbingham and Schneverdingen would just love you.

Ahh the used compo can what a versatyle thing take the top off and insert it between the prongs of a fork Instant spatular, fill empty tin with some sand or gravell top up with Benz Instant fire to sit round drink beer tell stories and sing songs. Place afore mentioned tins I beleave known as Bhengazi Burners under the Iggry Instant hot water.
Any more?
Phil

Bob_H
Site Admin
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Post by Bob_H » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:14 pm

It's difficult to flatten them when they're still full of Ham & Beef!
aaaaaahhhhhhhrrrrrrggggggghhh - hated it!!

Brian Hunter
Service Details: 1967 - 1973
B Squadron

Post by Brian Hunter » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:33 pm

Bob

I never had no problems flatten 'em - with a Chieftian :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did enjoy the compo cheese though espeically with a bit of Strawberry jam on a butty :wink:
Ya can take lad out o' Preston, but ya can't take Preston out o' lad

sticky stowell

Post by sticky stowell » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:26 am

mutton jock , off a centurian exhaust , remember though to pierce the can , who can forget that ? especially after a night of Paderbornner snubbies , always remember pinky when he was running B sqdn bar , pinky lomas that is , putting on the radiators a tin of chicken soup for dixie dean , youve guessed it he forgot and the whole lot blew up , also that sqdn smoker somewhere in soltau when someone threw a tin of jam on the fire and chris glaister got the lot , wot,s that song , oh happy days,your not kidding . all the best lads , sticky.

Johnny Morris
Service Details: Served from 1967 - 1992
Served in all SQNS (I include C Sqn as I was SSM of it but we always referred to it as BMT Sqn)
Finished as RQMS in 1992 and served with the regiment in Paderborne, Hong Kong & Singapore, Hohne, N.I. Bovington and Warminster,
Catterick & Muenster and Iraq
Postings:Rheindahlen, DLOY(Preston & Swinton),BMATT - Zimbabwe.

Post by Johnny Morris » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:43 pm

Oatmeal blocks,

I never could get used to them and yet I recall many guys used them for all sorts of exotic dishes.

Compo sausages, loved 'em.

I guess we would have to recycle the damn empties now

Can you imagine anyone trying to grow crops on one of the Soltau areas now, what treasures they would un-earth as the plowed the soil.

To quote Sticky,
Oh Happy days
Regards to all
Johnny Morris

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:28 pm

In the the same pit as the empty compo tins the Troop Ldrs plate that he had left for someone else to wash.
I remember my last ex on Soltau just before moving from D.Sqn to the Qms June 82 all rubbish had to be collected and bagged for The SQMS to dispose of. Otherwise the local conservaisionists would check out every area we had been and disterbed earth was dug up one of the guys was unlucky enough to have left a letter in a hole Name Rank regiment the lot. Theyhad a field day with that.
I hope they found some of the messages I left them.
Phil

sticky stowell

Post by sticky stowell » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:00 pm

who can remember that little fat german guy , with the mobile shop , tried to spell schennilmbis but put shop instead, i once bought an egg roll and there was a fat cockroach inside , he used to prolong his last words with an high pitched wine , so it was zanc you , mr, stoweeeeeeellllll , that was obviously when we all wore name tags , funny innit things yer dont forget . all the best lads , sticky.

rick aindow
Service Details: 1965 - 1980 started with C Sqn, went to A Sqn on promotion, finished in HQ Sqn Families Office. Postings inc. Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, NI, Tidworth, Herford, Various annual Snow Queens, 63 Army Youth Team, RAC Display Team, Hohne, Bovington

Post by rick aindow » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:46 am

tin of strawberry jam up the spout followed by a blank!!!!! :oops:

I know George Kirk wont mind me telling his story of tins of chocolate & sweets. He used to save them up and when home of exercise and wanting a 'special cuddle' would get his kids in the garden and from the bedroom window upstairs would open the can and scatter the contents over the garden from the window which kept the kids busy for a while :lol:

however it wasn't long before he realised that the kids rounded up the goodies in quick time :( :twisted:

after the next exercise he hid all the compo openers and threw the cans into the garden unopened, he had his 'special cuddle' to the sounds of cans being smashed on the brickwork :roll:
From Brisbane Queensland, beautiful one day, perfect the next

Wanny
Service Details: Served Sept. 1979 untill Sept.84 mainly based in Hohne
( A Sqn 4th Troop )

Post by Wanny » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:43 pm

Rick can you expand the Strawberry Jam story ???

ALGY CAIN
Service Details: 1967-77. A and C Squadrons.

Post by ALGY CAIN » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:18 pm

Wanny, if memory serves me right. There was an extremely large excercise called Rob Roy in Germany in 1967 and we were issued with blanks for the Centurion 105mm. I think the story went that a troop from C sqn got trappped by Canadian Vandoos and they put jam up the spout and blasted their way out.

rick aindow
Service Details: 1965 - 1980 started with C Sqn, went to A Sqn on promotion, finished in HQ Sqn Families Office. Postings inc. Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, NI, Tidworth, Herford, Various annual Snow Queens, 63 Army Youth Team, RAC Display Team, Hohne, Bovington

Post by rick aindow » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:25 pm

Algy's got it right!!!
From Brisbane Queensland, beautiful one day, perfect the next

Brian Hunter
Service Details: 1967 - 1973
B Squadron

Post by Brian Hunter » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:15 am

I remember that Rob Roy excercise with the blank ammo there was also a story about a tank being parked up all night next to a farm house with the aux engine running much to the annoyance of the farmer who never stopped moaning. When the order came to move one blank round was loaded and fired as a departing jesture to the farmer, consequently all the windows in the front of the farm house fell out. :wink:
Ya can take lad out o' Preston, but ya can't take Preston out o' lad

sticky stowell

Post by sticky stowell » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:31 am

exercise Rob Roy was the birth of the black sardine , and i still dont admit it .all the best lads ,sticky.

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:14 pm

Remember after a big Exercise on the scorps the regiment in a field waiting to load up for the trip back to Herford Burning hot day Over the air comes "I'm F**king Pi**ed off" followed by "hello unknown Staition say again call" I'm not that Pi**ed off" came the response. I was with Dennis Jones at the time he said I know that voice its the Black Sardine.
Phil