Where has everybody gone

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
xnsman
Service Details: National Service May 52-54. 65th.TR. Catterick. To Regt. at Crookham Sept. 52. To Sabratha Oct. 52. To Bovington for demob May 54. To Scottish Horse(T.A.) May 54.

Where has everybody gone

Postby xnsman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:51 am

This used to such a busy forum! Suddenly, just about the time the we learned we had a new committee, the shop almost shuts down completely. Even Mr. Baldwin, who has something to say on everything, has been suspiciously silent. Is everybody mad at the new committee? Or has everybody found a new quieter lurk to skive in? Is it a secret? Enlightenment please!

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Re: Where has everybody gone

Postby Bill Bentley » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:04 am

Hi xnsman,

it seems that you also don't look in very often, Phil Baldwin passed away and so will be having trouble answering your questions. You are not the only one who misses his cool wit. I understand that most people are on facebook, which is not my world. I gave up talking to myself a long time ago and as nobody else seems to want to reply things are pretty quiet here.

As for the new committee I don't think that anybody is sour at them, they have taken on a massive task and it takes time to understand the complexities and get things up an running. It just goes to show how much work Bob was doing ! As ever it is the members who are lazy, not the committee, everyone wants to party but very few are willing to do the leg work or even support those that do the work on our behalf.

Here is something similar to chew on and perhaps reply to:

Boris gets the top job and the con's have a big reshuffle, UKIP dissolves and most, including Nigel, join, re-join the con's; the labour louts have a big split up and some join the con's and they (the con's) have a landslide victory - representing the democratic will of the peoples of the UK. The UK get a tariff free deal with the EU, Merkel and the Frog get replaced by people who are interested in a united european free trade policy and not a Brussels run dictatorship, the Jocks and N.Paddy's continue to get subsidized from London as they have never been able to pay their own way ... and we all live happily ever after.

I was not allowed to cast a vote but I am very happy with the outcome, Europe has been heading in the wrong direction for the past couple of decades and sorely needed a kick in the butt !

Trump wins in America and withdraws their troops from Europe, placing them on their own southern boarder, he also withdraws their troops from the Middle East - which solves the exodus from there. After all, the peoples there want to live in their own country; if only we would stop causing wars for them.

Europe builds closer ties with Russia - rather than expanding towards Turkey and co - and so becomes the strongest free trading union in the world.

The climate will unfortunately become ever less predictable, take urgent steps to protect yourself.

What do you think ?

sammy
Service Details: Joined at Bengarzi Jan 1964 served with A Squadron until May 1973

Postby sammy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:25 pm

Bill I enjoyed reading your last, I just wish that I could muster the same confidence in the future as yourself. Bit I do agree with your comment
"As ever it is the members who are lazy, not the committee, everyone wants to party but very few are willing to do the leg work or even support those that do the work on our behalf"
We have the very best of sites for OBA associations and didn't appreciate just how much hard work Bob put into it, like you I cannot seem to generate a great deal of enthusiasm for Face book but also recognize that I am one of those lazy ones who enjoyed reading the comments without participating.
We all appreciate things better once we have lost them, will that be the same as the EU?
Sammy

Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Postby Bob_H » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:30 am

My feelings about the Forum versus Facebook debate are unwavering.

Forum
Topics are ordered, searchable, permanent.

Facebook
Quick and easy, jumbled, short-lived.

Unfortunately 'quick & easy' is the favoured option and it is sad to witness this Forums decline; a forum which still gets 400 visitors each day - with nothing new for visitors to read.

Bill, I agree that Europe needed 'a kick in the butt' but I don't think the Out vote has changed much, and of course once we are out we have even less influence. As for the outcome - my predictions:

Scotland to bring about the break up of GB whilst retaining EU membership;
    Gibraltar once again under threat;
    Northern Ireland struggle to exist as a non-EU member alongside Ireland;
    Immigration - no change there then;
    Labour Party in melt-down and will split into two separate parties;
    Conservatives end up with a massive majority with SNP (and Labour) out of the way;
    Nigel Farage - the joke of Europe

We will survive, we will remain as a great power within the World, our economy will recover - but it is going to take a strong leadership to smooth the way along the nation's chosen path.
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Ron Flowers
Service Details: JLR 65-67
A Sqn
D Sqn
Lulworth Sqn
Recruit Selection Centre PS
63 AYT

Postby Ron Flowers » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:30 pm

Some interesting points from the 3 of you. I agree with bits of what each of you say but what worries me most is that we don't appear to have that strong politician to lead us through these torrid times. Boris the clown has now taken his ball home.

The one that really worries me is May ( Cruella Deville) who has already ruined the Police Force has now started on the Fire Service from her position of Home Secretary.
It is no coincidence that her husband is a big wig in G4S who are being given contracts left right and centre via her department.
For the majority of the top players in the political side of the Referendum campaign it never was about IN/OUT it was who was next in line for the heads of their parties.

I hope that I am wrong but I believe we as a country made the wrong decision and I hope that our children and grand children don't live to regret our decision. I was talking to a group of very savvy 6th Form students on tuesday and to a woman they said they would have had they been able to vote voted remain. I think given the impact it will have on their generation that the voting age should have been lowered to 16 even if it was only for this referendum. I also believe there should be some way of determining mental competency with regard to the right to vote. One of my neighbours, a lovely gentle man, but who suffers from dementia and very often doesn't know what day it is voted out and because he did so did his wife who admits she hasn't got a clue about what it was all about. A number of years ago I was on duty at a Polling Station during a General Election when a mini bus load of old people most of who obviously didn't understand what was going on due to their various mental health problems were shepherded into the station by the local Labour party agent who all but put the cross in the box for them.

Sammy I was looking out for you at Tank Fest on Saturday but obviously missed you. I did have a good 3/4 hours chat and reminisce with Maj.Terry Scott late of A Sqn Paderbourne. Hope to see you down there next year if I don't come across you before.
Regarding the new committee I think they have picked up the baton handed on by Bob and Co and are doing a sterling job of taking things forward.
Cheers Guys

sammy
Service Details: Joined at Bengarzi Jan 1964 served with A Squadron until May 1973

Postby sammy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:00 am

Ron
We had a marvelous weekend staying in Stanley Bks, the tank fest was a wonderful except for that down poor about 1300. Beer at £1.50 a pint in the mess was a boon for those that drink.
Sammy

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:22 am

Well, what a shock: Boris bailed out !
This kind of screws up my theory, had I only waited a couple of days before chirping up.
Distant memories of my old gunnery instructor at JL's, who told me more than once not to 'jump the gun'.

Ron, I have not been watching what miss May has been doing to the police but was there not a lot of corruption that needed to be, that she, sorted out ? Your point about her old man and G4S smacks a bit like Hillary, across the pond, not Benn. So who does that leave us with ? Boris's backstabber or an unknown ... somebody who has not been moulded by the inner circles ... the problem is that the inner circles, at home and abroad, do not like outsiders and would not be willing to give them a fair chance. Interesting times for sure !

I also liked your point about just 'who has the right to vote' and that raises a lot of questions about our fake democracy: About 33 million voted, which is about half of the population, which means that either side represented only about a quarter of the population; this means that the selected 1% of a quarter of the population rule 100% of the people, no wonder that we are in a mess ! In days of yore at least the kings had to fight for their throne.

Bob, Im with you about facebook.
Would it be such a bad thing to let natural land masses, Gibralter and N.I be reunited with their natural neighbours ? Like most of you I did my time in N.I. and lost a lot of friends there, for what ? I see Scotland and Wales a bit differently, them being a part of our natural land mass and we should make considerable efforts to ensure unity there. It would not be all that difficult if the greedy 1% would distribute business-work-wealth fairly around GB. Bugger London, let the Scots have a major international airport and all of the work and wealth that goes with it. Why do people in the north have to travel to London, which is insanely overcrowded, to catch a plane ? A bank, with its computers, can function just as well in Lancaster or Yorkshire as in London and the great ports of Liverpool, Hull and Glasgow could again flurish with new international trade, it is just a question of a lack of political will and greed !

Sammy, honesty is a virtue but honest hard work - getting involved - can be very rewarding. If everyone would do their bit, in all walks of life, we would not be in the mess we are in today.

One more point that Bob mentioned: immigration. For me the vote was not an issue of immigration as such (I myself live overseas) but the right to choose who we are prepared to let in. For me the vote was more about not allowing Brussels to dictate to us just so many things, that clearly upset many millions of other europeans, that have nothing to do with free trade.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Hawk195
Service Details: 14th/20th Kings Hussars 1960 to 1973

Postby Hawk195 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:17 pm

Hi All

been out of touch due to some cretin hacking my system. Bill( or would you prefer Yodo) We talked about the exit before it happened. My opinions have not changed, it is about time that our election choices were changed for MP's,
A: We vote for the person the country thinks can run it best, not for a party elected spokesman. B: MP's should be elected for who they are themselves not who the party thinks they would like to stand for them.( In short we don't have parties, but we have a huge selection of people and the best man for the job gets it). C: The people who voted the person for the job, can unvote him if he does not fulfill his his promises after a year. Finally David Cameron should not have given the job up( The exit vote for the country was not against him but against the mistrust the EU had created over the period since they became the EU. I am open to other offers of how parliament should be organised( No take them out and shoot them offers)

Tony
A word is enough for a wise man

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Postby PINKY » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:48 am

Still here........
Pinky

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:38 pm

Tony,

now that Nigel has also gone, I have to conclude that I am not fit to give an opinion as I seem to jinx those who I thought would do a good job :?

So here we are at the most important cross-roads since the world wars and where are we ?

I still think that 'out' was right because, for the normal working man, Europe has been going down hill at an increasing pace for many years. As one guy put it: "It's like being on the Titanic and seeing the iceberg getting ever closer, sure, jumping into a life boat is risky but staying on board is a certain disaster".

Talking of the world wars, did they not used to say that the british troops were 'lions led by lambs', not much changed there then. Still, at then end of the day it is, and always was, the man on the ground who decides on the outcome of any dispute and also he who pays the highest price for the mistakes of others !

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:21 pm

Bill

You are right again. If whoever tries to overturn the results of the referendum and gets it, we will then realise that as ever the people we elect to take notice of us don't. Nigel, David Cameron and Boris have all let us down by throwing their dummies out of the pram. Is it me or are all the contenders to lead their parties virtually unknowns. We all knew that for a number of weeks the pound would drop and then come back to what it was, but the longer they don't pull the plug the harder it will be. Even Mrs Merkel who hopes to be the president of the newly set up in Europe is in for a shock at how soon we could get back to normal if they do pull the plug.

Tony

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:48 am

Tony,

I guess never having worked in a bank I don't understand much about the world markets but what seems clear to me is: If the pound is weak it is easier to export things and more Brits have to stay in the UK for their holidays. If we can export more easily that must mean new/more jobs. If Brits spend their hard earned money on holiday in the UK and the weak pound draws in foreign tourists, British tourism booms and nobody has a problem with the exchange rates = again new/more jobs. If a couple of bankers loose out, you won't catch me crying !

Merkel has very little support over here, the problem is that there is no competent contender; it's the same in France and most other European countries. In the next couple of years we shall see great changes in the leadership of the main nations of Europe; what that will bring, for Europe, is anybody's guess.

There's no time to get bored watching this soap opera !

One thing is for sure: the normal working person will be expected to pay the bill. The only way to avoid paying too much tax is to be as self-contained as possible. Having a garden and growing veg. etc. can save a lot of VAT, now that is real added value ! Reducing one's own consumption of all forms of energy is the wisest option that I can see, good for the environment too.

You and I easily fall into the category of 'old farts' and it's little wonder that the younger generation have difficulty in respecting us; take this forum for example, hardly anybody gets involved and so the website, were it not for the gallant efforts of the few administrators, would dry up and become forgotten. People talk about the right and left wings of politics or any discussion, but is it not so: when there is no active centre mass there are only the opposites. Bob recently said that there are 400 visits to the site per day, 99% of whom just watch and probably think about those who contribute 'what a bunch of twats', well I say: try looking in the mirror, it is the nonparticipants that cause the vacuum !

As for those cretins that hack computers and cause people like you to have to miss out on your chosen daily activity, I see them as the scum of the earth. Indeed I wish anybody that gains a profit, at the cost of other peoples wellbeing, a severe dose of anal acne followed by everlasting sleeplessness while being tortured by the souls of those that they have harmed = Post Twat Stress Disorder = PTSD.
(No association with other unfortunates who suffer PTSD, following their often heroic actions, intended).

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:21 pm

Hi Bill

Did a TV show the other day called Paranoid. One of the SA's who had to push me in a wheelchair ( said in between shoots) what do you do for a living. I told him I had retired, to which he said I am not fair off, the outcome is he thought I was about 60. Not bad for a nearly 76 year old. I drive a Jag S Type. Live alone so I cook my own food. I have seen people 20 years my junior in worst condition than me. So us older people need to have a source of keeping in touch with what's going on, and for me it is this website. But if people keep avoiding it the powers that be may not be able to afford to run it for a few. I am not a great believer in facebook, so that would be the end of my connection. By the way Bill did you serve with Ken Preece.

Tony

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:36 pm

Sorry Bill disregard the Ken Preece bit

sammy

Postby sammy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:33 am

Bob
I agree with your comment about Face Book
"Unfortunately 'quick & easy' is the favoured option"
This I believe sums up the whole attitude to life in the 21c, everything has to be quick and easy and I will add one more the cheapest option.
Where has quality gone to now days? Why is striving to be the best or to do the best we can be no longer fashionable?
From our NHS to our schools, from our Military to our Police everything has to be done on a shoe string.
We all do it we shopping around looking for the best deal usually meaning the cheapest deal for holidays, food, electricals ext.
We used to call it Gerry building in days gone by, not that I always believe in the good old days mantra, but I certainly do long for some of the quality things from the past that are no longer with us.
Went to Bovie for the tankfest two weeks ago and spent 3 days in Stanley Bks and Bovington was like a ghost town.
Still I suppose that that makes me just one more old winger longing for a past that is well and truly over when Britain was Great Britain.
Sammy

Return to “General Chat”