The Future of Home Headquarters (North)

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

The Future of Home Headquarters (North)

Postby Bob_H » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:30 pm

We've received the following message:

The Future of Home Headquarters (North), The King’s Royal Hussars
Message from The Colonel of the Regiment, General Sir Richard Shirreff KCB, CBE

GeneralShirreff.jpg
GeneralShirreff.jpg (51.16 KiB) Viewed 3458 times

As many of you will know, Captain John Cornish retired as Assistant Regimental Secretary, based in Fulwood Barracks, in July 2014. Since then, we have been actively recruiting a suitable successor to ensure that the service our Home Headquarters offer to the Regiment, both serving and retired, is second to none. At the start of this process I ensured that the job specification was clear that the selected candidate should ideally have served as an officer in The King’s Royal Hussars, one of our antecedent regiments or at the very least, another cavalry regiment. I won’t go into detail but suffice it to say that this has involved a lengthy and complex bureaucratic process starting first with internal recruiting from within the Civil Service before widening the net. To cut a long story short, I am pleased to say that Major Steve Penkethman was appointed Assistant Regimental Secretary on 4
February. Major Penkethman joined the Royal Hussars in 1975, was RSM of The King’s Royal Hussars from 1995 to 1997 before being commissioned in February 1997. He retired from the Army in June 2013. In every respect Major Steve Penkethman is an ideal replacement for Captain John Cornish, he could not be better qualified, is regimental to the core and we are very lucky to have him in such a key regimental position.

This appointment has led me to look very carefully at the question of maintaining two small separate Home HQs serving a regiment which has not been an exclusively Lancashire regiment since its formation in 1992, increasingly has a national footprint and which is almost certain to be based permanently in Wiltshire. While the service provided by Captain John Cornish from Fulwood Barracks was exemplary, there is no question that it has been an administrative nightmare for both regimental secretaries trying to coordinate activity some 250 miles apart. Furthermore the reality is that, despite the continued strength of recruiting in the North West, there are no longer the same local links with civic authorities or recruiting offices as existed in the days when Major Bill Williams was Regimental Secretary in Fulwood Barracks.

I have concluded that concentrating effort in a single Home Headquarters offers the most efficient and effective way of supporting The King’s Royal Hussars, both the serving and wider regiment. The ideal solution would have been establishing Home HQ in Aliwal Barracks alongside the serving Regiment. However, the real estate simply won’t allow this. In order to ensure Home HQ is as close to the serving regiment as possible I have therefore decided to concentrate effort in Winchester and to close Home HQ in Fulwood Barracks. This is the intent; we are now engaged in putting together a detailed plan for execution and I hope to promulgate more detail in the next regimental newsletter.

I have not done this lightly and completely understand the dismay with which this will be received in the North West, particularly by the ex 14th/20th King’s Hussars. On top of this, there will be many questions: what happens to the Columbarium and Barton Church? What happens to the Preston Reunion and the Remembrance Day parade and service? How will ex-soldiers in the North West stay in touch with the Regiment? How will our links with the Museum in Preston be handled? And, of course, the all important question: does this mean that the KRH will lose its links with the North West?

My answer to the latter question is absolutely not. We will continue to recruit quality soldiers in the North West of England and Lancashire and Cumbria will remain at the heart of the ethos of the Regiment, alongside our other recruiting areas in Gloucestershire, Hampshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Wiltshire and elsewhere in the UK. As for all questions relating to what was done by Home HQ North, these issues will still be managed by Home Headquarters, but in Winchester. And that Home HQ will be significantly more efficient by being larger and staffed by two Regimental Secretaries working closely together supported by two clerical staff, although sadly not with Jenni Pennell who naturally has decided to stay in the north and work elsewhere in the Civil Service and to whom we owe a great deal for her dedicated service. Not only will this allow all the administration, welfare, data, records, archives etc to be concentrated in one place, but a more efficient and effective Home HQ will allow for one of the regimental secretaries to travel north on a regular basis to maintain and rebuild local links.

This will not be popular but that is not the point. I am aware that I have had to make a very tough and unpopular decision. But for the sake of the Regiment this is a time to pull together, to be united, to embrace change and above all to work together to maintain the strong links we have always enjoyed in the North West. What matters is the efficiency of our Home HQ and how well it serves the wider Regiment. I am in no doubt that with Lt Col Peter Garbutt and Major Steve Penkethman we have a superb team and that the time has now come to concentrate effort in a single Home HQ as, arguably, should have happened some time ago after the formation of The King’s Royal Hussars in 1992.
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Baggers
Service Details: 72-74 JLR
74-76 Herford
75 Cyprus (sovereign bases)
76-78 Warminster
78-83 Hohne
83-85 Sultan of Oman Armoured Regt
85 catterick

Re: The Future of Home Headquarters (North)

Postby Baggers » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:22 pm

I must admit I was dismayed when I first heard this a few weeks back but that was my lack of knowledge thinking it was a RH driven change and I apologise for that. Now reading this and seeing who is the author, in whom I have every faith, I can only see a need for this and although I know the upset my fellow hussars will feel I hope everyone does understand the need and we can come together and help each other out as we grow older and need help, support and friendship.

Paul W. Baker
Site Admin
Service Details: 1420H 1978 - 1989
RH 1991 - 1992
KRH 1992 - 2003

Postby Paul W. Baker » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:34 pm

It was inevitable I think, this country is cash strapped and running two offices is simply barking mad. The only thing I prey for is that the 1420H are represented fairly on all occasions, and I am sure we will be. As a unit we have to continue to stick together and continue to support Noah's ARC and Barton Grange in large numbers, the more there are the louder we are and the longer we are heard and not forgotten.

I personally will not wear the beret of KRH again on any occasion, I will only wear the beret of the 1420H to ensure longevity of what was the finest of all regiments.

Hawk195
Service Details: 14th/20th Kings Hussars 1960 to 1973

Postby Hawk195 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:10 pm

well what's new. I firstly must say that the way the army is being cut, it is only to be expected that cash is short. This in turn means it makes sense to close Home HQ North. If you are reading this Jenni you will be missed having worked so well for us, hope you manage to get a good job. At least we have the answer to HHQ already here it is called Noahs Arc. It provides a reunion each year and it is totally 14/20 H, it is also run by the 14/20H. Who was the crystal ball gazer during the last month who said it would happen.
A word is enough for a wise man

Paul Axle Foley
Service Details: Aug'88 - May'97

Postby Paul Axle Foley » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:35 pm

The bottom line is gents, nothing ever stays the same ( regardless of the reasons ). No matter how tough it is to swallow this pill, we must ! And we should do it with NORTHERN (LANCASTRIAN, MANCUNIAN and CUMBRIAN PRIDE ) . Nothing is ever straight forward and it's a futile exercise pointing fingers,laying the blame and whinging ( especially without knowing the facts ! ). Noah's Arc is doing amazingly well ( my first time last year and I'll be there again this year and every year hence forth, god willing ). Yes, we should make a concerted effort and get more of us to attend the Preston Reunion. Or maybe that weekend needs a rethink / overhaul ( does it require a discussion / ideas ? ). And a big yes to getting as many of us together for the Regimental march through Preston in July !! Might be worth starting a link for all of those who state they are attending in July and maybe The remembrance weekend also ?? Long live the 14th / 20th, always and forever. Hussar !

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Mr Foley

I am not whinging, I am clearly stating that that HHQ is over and we have our own HHQ in Noahs Arc.

williamo
Service Details: Regimental Band.
1951-1964.
Crookham,Sabratha,Kneller Hall, Piddlehinton, Munster, Hohne, Berlin, Bengazi, Bovington.

Postby williamo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:19 pm

Why oh Why this North South Divide, in all my 13 years service was there ever any division, we Londoners/ Southerners were treated as equals, and we were all very Proud to be Called Hawks. The present situation is all about running costs, and it makes sence for the HHQ TO BE AS NEAR "THE REGIMENT". We all should unite as one, HUSSARS FOR EVER.

Paul Axle Foley
Service Details: Aug'88 - May'97

Postby Paul Axle Foley » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:34 am

Mr Tony Binns.

I never said you were whinging pal ? My post wasn't directed at your comments ?
In fact your comments are quite positive.
I just copy and pasted my comments from elsewhere and stuck it here.
And my comments are all about staying positive :)

smudge077
Service Details: 1965 Catterick, Benghazi C Sqn & Regt Police
1966 Perham Down, HQ Sqn Recce Tp
1967 Paderborn, Cmd Sqn Recce Tp - 1970 Tidworth, C Sqn SHQ
1972 Sutton Coldfield, Army Selection Centre - 1973 Herford, C Sqn SHQ
1975 Cyprus, UN C Sqn SHQ - 1976 Warminster, A Sqn Cent Tp
1977 Manchester ACIO - 1979 Clifton DLOY HQ Sqn PSI
1980-85 Hohne D Sqn SHQ Tp, 2nd Tp Ldr, SQMS
1985-87 Catterick, C (BMT) Sqn SSM

Postby smudge077 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:32 am

An unenviable job for the General. To be honest, it doesn’t really matter where Home Headquarters is located, we are only an email away – being 14/20KH, it just sticks in the throat that it’s Winchester as a matter of principle – to be expected I suppose when most of the powers that be live/serve in the South anyway. The majority of 14/20H or even KRH have never been to their Home Headquarters, North or South, and fortunately, not too many have had to need to call upon on their good services.

To be fair, there is no official 14/20H or Royal Hussars Regimental Association, we all come under the banner of the KRH Association now. With that in mind, and with Regiments being permanently based in the UK now, it would make more sense, and possibly save even more money, to establish a Veteran’s Affairs Office in RHQ, Tidworth.

Over the years the emphasis on Preston has changed. Those who attend the Northern Reunion (Barton Grange) will have noticed that numbers have been falling over the years. I’m not sure what the reason is, perhaps the Noah’s Arc event is more entertaining? Who knows, one day it may return to Manchester.

I’m sure that The Colonel of the Regiment will sort out the maintenance and use of the Columbarium and the Preston Museum, although the Remembrance Day parade might be a little more challenging. It was convenient to have everything at the same event as matters evolved. Realistically, if the official Preston reunion ceases, I believe it will be difficult to attract sufficient numbers to organise a parade, including internment services in November.

We are only pawns in the game of life.

tigger
Service Details: JLR RAC 1971-1972, 14/20 kh 1972 - 1992. Herford, Bovinton, Cyprus, Omagh, Warminster, Hohne, Croyden, Catterick, Manchester, Munster, NI tours, Gulf 1,

Postby tigger » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:31 am

OK the decision has been made.

So where now for the ex 14/20 Hussars.

The KRH will no doubt continue to Administer their affairs for ex serving members from "Darn Sarf" and Garbo will be an honest broker (he's ex 20H leader) and they have the means to deal with and support welfare issues as and when required .

However it is clear that our club "NOAH's ARC" takes on an even more importent role, as a social net working and now a support for the members who might need a drop in point to discuss problems or just need a chat with a friendly face.

The numbers for the Barton Grange Bash have dwindled over the recent past years, while the Noah'S ARC bash in Blackpool have steadily risen, to this end it is importent that we all network and encourage our dorment members we are in contact with to get involved if we want our Identity to stay strong.

We need to look out for our mates who might need some form of support but are reluctant to contact a place or a face their not comfortable with. and use this forum to fill the void Home HQ Preston and JC provided

Cheers Trev

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin
Service Details: Joined the regiment from training Sept 70 joined B.Sqn Nov 70 in Hong Kong D Sqn in 77 Hq in 82 left in 92

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:39 am

Well said Bill as I have said before we spread wider than the homeland of the 14/20H including Scotland Ireland and Wales we may be Pie Mash & Liquor eaters but our hearts are with our Lancashire brothers. I willingly gave 22 years of my life to our wonderfull regiment and for me and my son Mike it will live forever within us
Je n'oublierai pas

fatcat
Service Details: Joined 1969 - 1973 Catterick Paderborn Singapore Tidworth

Postby fatcat » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:17 am

it is very sad that we are going to lose the availability of being able to call in at HHQ Preston and have a chat it was even more so when JC left as I for one used to call in and have a coffee on quite a few occasions I even took my Grandkids followed by a visit to the Regimental Museum which they absolutely loved I even took Mr Dave Holt the last time.
I think it shows just how much effort was put in by JC Jenni and not forgetting Les Critchlow and of course every one else involved, after JC retired I think this was always going to be on the cards but the memory of the 14/20th Kings Hussars will always live on whether that be through the good work done by Mr Bob Harrison and the Committee of the Noah's Arc or just by being a member of the Regiment we all served in it doesn't matter where you are in the world there will always be some one with a connection to the Regiment.
I for one will never forget the Friends I made when I joined the Regiment the Friends that have passed on and the Friends that I still have and meet to this day.
Fatcat.

Paul Keller
Service Details: Hohne Nov '78 till June '85, Catterick June '85 till June '87, with six months Belize, March '86 till Sept '86.
Sennelager, June 87 till March '88, March '88 till Oct '90,

Postby Paul Keller » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:51 am

Having just read General Shirreffs letter to the website, plus all the other comments, you can see why he made General !
Having known and served under him since he was a Troop leader, back in '79, then as RSO, Adjutant, (he did a mean apple flakes and oatmeal block porridge, whilst loading for Col Harman) and Sqn Ldr, I know it must have been a very difficult decision to make and offer my total respect to him and yes it does make you realise how massive and brilliant a job JC and Jenni did.
But remember folks, the regiment will never die, and while Blackpool or any other North West seaside town has a hotel big enough to take us all, we will come together and pull up the sand bags, swing the lamps and keep the name and the flag of the 14th/20th Kings Hussars flying high !!
Then it's Trooper this, an Trooper that
And Trooper how's yer soul?
But it's "Hawks are bloody 'ero's"
When the tanks began to roll!

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:08 pm

Bob
Just had a thought is this not the time to offer to spread any words or thought that HHQ wants to reach retired 1420th by contacting you(for a fee for Noahs Arc) and letting you get that message out to them. This would offload the cost of running the site, also saving you the problem of where the income for the site is coming from. General this could save you money too.

Tony

Mac McNulty
Site Admin
Service Details: January 1972 - August 1994

Postby Mac McNulty » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:49 pm

Hi Fellas,

I can understand the frustration, concern, etc, with the closure of HHQ in Preston, however I believe we should let the KRH get on with what they are doing after all its their Regiment. I do not believe there are any Royal Hussar or 14/20th recruited Soldiers left so they are all KRH.

I very much doubt any of us gave the 14th or the 20th Hussars' Regiments, old comrades, etc. much thought whilst we were serving in the 14/20 Kings Hussars.

We have Noah's Arc, we have the reunion, we have the Facebook Pages, we have Fred's website, we have our own memories therefore as long as there is a Succession Plan in place the memory and memories of the 14/20th King's Hussars will last until the very last one of us goes who knows where.

Plus I am sure we will have sufficient volunteers to look after Barton and the like.

I would suspect that the KRH will unfortunately disappear sometime in the future as well and I would hope that there will be the same concerns and issues we have had and are having among their soldiers. So let them get on with what they are good at being the "Best Cavalry Regiment" their Soldiers can serve in.

Just my thoughts and opinion

Cheers Mac

Return to “Regimental Chat”