New Assistant Regimental Secretary in HHQ(N)

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
Prendo

Re: New Assistant Regimental Secretary in HHQ(N)

Postby Prendo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:25 pm

Served under Mr Penkethman.Nothing more to add.
Anyone who is different from the ordinary is considered crazy, and I am happy to be considered so.
And Proud

Ian Neilson
Service Details: JLR Bovington 1961, A Squadron 14/20H Benghazi, Tripoli, UN Cyprus, Perham Down, Paderborn. Civvy Street for a while. Rejoined 1975 14/20H B Squadron Hereford, posted AAC Middle Wallop, Munster, Long Kesh NI, Munster, Omagh NI, Munster, Bovington 1980 demob.

Postby Ian Neilson » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:56 pm

Tony,
The only sauce I like is strawberry poured over ice cream. In December 1960 I was 15 years and 3 months old. Having just left school I boarded a train for Manchester with an army recruitment brochure in my pocket heading for an army recruitment office near Strangeways prison. A few hours later I had signed up for the JLR RAC and badged to the 14/20 KH. Returning home I had to get my dad to endorse the papers and put them in the post. Two weeks later I had a letter asking me to return to the army recruiting office to take the attestation. On the 20th of December 1960 I was officially in the British Army as a boy soldier. What a great decision and what a great life I have had since that day.
Ian

Hawk195
Service Details: 14th/20th Kings Hussars 1960 to 1973

Postby Hawk195 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:11 pm

Ian,
I did not realise that JLR badged to their Regiment on signing on. I thought that they did that just before they finished boy service. I apologise for doubting you.

Tony
A word is enough for a wise man

mick burgess
Service Details: Joined Boy's Sqn RAC Sepy 1956
Joined B Sqn Berlin Dec 1958
Joined C Sqn Celle Feb 1960
Posted Hohne Regt came together1961
Benghazi, Cyprus, Perham Down, Lulworth,
Tidworth, Herford, Manchester, Lulworth,
Catterick, Munster 1992 KRH Lulworth.
Retired Dec 2006 after 50 years/6 months

Postby mick burgess » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:08 pm

Hi Old Hawks,
Is it not time to put this to bed!!! Having worn both a blue/brown beret with our Prussian Eagle in it for 50 years and 6mths I would to think I am proud of both 14/20th and KRH. You may not know this but when JC gave notice the post was advertised and due to civil/mod rules the post was open to anyone, male or female, any ethnic group and they did NOT need to have served in the regt or even the services !!!!

No one applied for weeks and at last Steve applied and luckily for US was selected from the various interviewees so Thankfully we now have not only an ex soldier from our present regiment who understands traditions and values from the past and the present. He was a family man and has risen from the tank park to being Hq Sqn Ldr and served on active service in theatres of WAR.

So Old Friends I feel he is well suited to looking after the ex and serving personnel and their families when the time comes. Plus he will be able to support Bob and any Noar,s Arc issues that arise being up to date with MOD welfare procedures.

So please stop all this anti KRH stuff otherwise we may find they will get the impression that Noar,s Arc wants' nothing to do with OUR OWN Hussars. Just a point HHQ south have just appointed Peter Garbot as SEC and I have not see any anti feeling on their part because he is ex 14/20H on there association sites.

Regards to all my old chums and your families take care Mick/Marion Burgess

Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Postby Bob_H » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:36 am

Thanks Mick - ever the voice of reason.

You make a valid important point in that the post of Asst Reg Sec is a Civil Service post.

To further enlighten - currently the Colonel-in-Chief, the Colonel of the Regiment (the President of the Regimental Association), the Chairman of the Regimental Association, The Regimental Secretary and the organiser of the South West reunion (Dorset) are all ex-1420H. We are extremely well represented within KRH.
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

williamo
Service Details: Regimental Band.
1951-1964.
Crookham,Sabratha,Kneller Hall, Piddlehinton, Munster, Hohne, Berlin, Bengazi, Bovington.

Postby williamo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:06 am

Age alone must see the KRH TAKING A BIGGER ROLL IN ALL AFFAIRS REGIMENTAL, WE WHO SERVED AS 14/20th Kings Hussars are not getting any younger?

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:52 am

Mick
Whilst not condoning what is written on this site and taking into account the fact that Bob is caught in the middle. I thought that the site enabled members to get off their chests any grievances without being told to wrap it up. I for one could name a number of people who deserve to be, but think that it would not achieve anything. If members want to rant within reason they should be allowed to. Remember Mick you are a Major in name only.

mick burgess
Service Details: Joined Boy's Sqn RAC Sepy 1956
Joined B Sqn Berlin Dec 1958
Joined C Sqn Celle Feb 1960
Posted Hohne Regt came together1961
Benghazi, Cyprus, Perham Down, Lulworth,
Tidworth, Herford, Manchester, Lulworth,
Catterick, Munster 1992 KRH Lulworth.
Retired Dec 2006 after 50 years/6 months

Postby mick burgess » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:50 pm

Dusty
I have no problem with that ethos but personal attacks on an individual who has just joined the so called "Family" to help and support us is not welcome in my book anyway and as for pulling rank mate once a trooper always a trooper at heart.
Take care Mick/Marion

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:27 pm

Mick

thanks for understanding what I was trying to get across. But you must admit you came across rather strong. Where was the job advertised? in the MOD magazine? Well that's got that bit over.

bryanlythgoe

Postby bryanlythgoe » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:45 pm

I saw the job advertised on more than 4 job websites and considered applying for it, as it was a civil servant job the rules are that current civil servants have priority then it is put on the open market. Forgive me if I am wrong but anyone could have applied but very few did.

FERDY
Service Details: 1963 - 1977
Catterick, Benghazi, Tidworth, Paderborn, Ireland, Perham Down,Ireland, Herford, Bovington. (Can't remember the order though, Brain Dead !! ) Oh and a lot of time spent at Bisley !!

Postby FERDY » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:03 pm

Is it not time we put all this to bed ?

Whichever way you slice it, the King's Royal Hussars, are, our offspring, and, without us,the 14th/20th Kings Hussars and the 10th and 11th etc, the Regiment that we all know and love would have died.

That has not happened, we may have changed trousers, but, life, and fashion changes, and so does OUR Regiment, it is Still OUR Regiment, and we should all Support it.

To that end Paul Baker, ( Supported by the rest of us that Admin on the site ), has created an 'Event' on the 14th/20th 'Old Boys' Facebook Site, to Drum up Support for the Northern Reunion, which has had several takers so Far !

Each time a Noah's Arc Reunion, Happens, ( and are they not the best ! ) There are many voices calling for more Reunions.

The Northern Reunion is ready made, we all used to support it, And, I think it is time we let these Nippers with funny coloured legs know where they came from. THEY CAME FROM US !!

If you are up for another Reunion, let your feet do the talking.

The link to the Northern Reunion Event is..............
https://www.facebook.com/events/785416624874426/

And the Link to the 'Old Boys' Site is.........
https://www.facebook.com/groups/58511775214/

Oop's nearly forgot , The Home of the 14th/20th Facebook site, ( sorry Bob )...........
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NoahsArcHome/

If you can stay calm when all around you is in Chaos, Then you have not properly understood the Situation!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Paul W. Baker
Site Admin
Service Details: 1420H 1978 - 1989
RH 1991 - 1992
KRH 1992 - 2003

Postby Paul W. Baker » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:04 pm

Talking to people it all about the cost! The £5- entry used to be for the hotel security during a regimental doo when the threat of the IRA and other nasties were around, that threat is no more - or so we are told, yet they still take this £5-00.

The cost of the beer is considerably higher than that which we pay in Blackpool so maybe a price needs to be negotiated to get the number up, this £5-00 need clarifying and then dropped unless it is for something else we are not told about, or just move the event?

But at the end of the day all the voices that are shouting currently need to do some walking and attend.

Sam
Service Details: 19 Sept 1966 to 15 May 1989

Postby Sam » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:55 am

I have to agree with what Mick Burgess as said at least the man is a HUSSAR and not a grunt so welcome him :)

Prendo

Postby Prendo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:41 pm

[quote="mick burgess Just a point HHQ south have just appointed Peter Garbot as SEC and I have not see any anti feeling on their part because he is ex 14/20H on there association sites.

Good Point Mick.
Regards
Prendo
Anyone who is different from the ordinary is considered crazy, and I am happy to be considered so.

And Proud

Paul W. Baker
Site Admin
Service Details: 1420H 1978 - 1989
RH 1991 - 1992
KRH 1992 - 2003

Postby Paul W. Baker » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:41 pm

As I understood it you had to have served in the ranks and been commissioned within the regiment?

Return to “Regimental Chat”