Boys Sqdn Bovington.

Looking for an old mate? Is anyone looking for you? Post a message here or search for names you might have information on.
beaubells
Service Details: 1954/61.

Boys Sqdn Bovington.

Postby beaubells » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:24 am

Any one in Boys Squadron RAC Bovington 1954 /57 ?

mick burgess
Service Details: Joined Boy's Sqn RAC Sepy 1956
Joined B Sqn Berlin Dec 1958
Joined C Sqn Celle Feb 1960
Posted Hohne Regt came together1961
Benghazi, Cyprus, Perham Down, Lulworth,
Tidworth, Herford, Manchester, Lulworth,
Catterick, Munster 1992 KRH Lulworth.
Retired Dec 2006 after 50 years/6 months

Re: Boys Sqdn Bovington.

Postby mick burgess » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:30 pm

Hi Bill,
I joined 1956 Tunis Troop left Sept 58 joined B Sqn Berlin.
Mick Burgess

beaubells

Postby beaubells » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi Mick ,1956 I was in my last year at that time,our paths may well have crossed.I was in Thames,my buddies were Tony Cork {CORKY}.and a chap called Bradshaw son of a clergyman.We all joined the 14/20th as we were all impressed by Sgt Herd one of our instructors.I dont know when Boys Sqdn started ,but in 54 we were all a pretty hard lot,but great comrades,most of us then came from broken homes and the 3 years of pretty intensive training prepared us well for our respective regiments.
Names that spring to mind at that time Rsm Prevett,Lft Pharo-Thomplin,Lt Tubbs,smudge smith,Cpl Harper,Mitchell,and of course Cy Dowdeswell.
Good to hear from you Mick, Bill Phillips

mick burgess

Postby mick burgess » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Hi Bill,
In 56 they changed the names of the troops to Waterloo, Alamein, Cambrai, Dettingen, Blenheim and Tunis after certain campaign. You are right most of us came from rough backgrounds or fell on hard times even were given the choice by the magistrate to join B/Sqn or go to Borstal for a couple of years !!!! Yes it was a shock to the system but it made us in the end better citizens me included and I spent the next 50 years serving and enjoying every minute. Maybe they should reintroduce it for our modern youth of today.
You mention Henry Bradshaw remember the racket he was running from the Blanco room up turned irons with mess tins full of B/Beans and toast. Then Barber and Penny used to come round offering 5 woodbines and you give them 20 back at the end of term. Also if you borrowed money then the heaves would come round when you got your credits and demand double back or a beating " Good old Days"
Was Cpl Harper Les Harper from Worcester or Ces Harper ? Some other characters you might remember Bert Marner Jim Bye, Charlie Welchman, Sgt Tom Herd was the drill instructor smart as a carrot. Then there was "Piggy" Abram's the Provo Sgt and of course the legendry Cpl Eglan in the stores who said stores are for storing not issuing " If you want to a new pair of socks where's the old ones!!!

I could bang on but just thought I would jog your memory of the good old times maybe Mick

beaubells

Postby beaubells » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:01 am

Hi Mick,crikey you dredged up names I had buried years ago,haha old Bradshaw ,I was in the Boys Sqdn boxing team and was priviledged extra visits to the cook house where I snaffled loaves of bread and gave them to Brad ,he provided the butter and the toaster and we charged a penny per slice,coming from a clergy family he knew all the angles,on one occassion on a cross country run he made a stamp from a potato ,stamped our hands and hid behind bushes for the chaps to return.When we saw them coming we ran out and came first and second,we didnt do that to often.The names for the various troops were after rivers,Thames ,Darenth,Medway and I cant for the life of me remember the fourth.
Ces Harper was our troop {3rd} corporal ,promoted when smudge Smith made Sgt,Ces was I believe from Yorkshire.
I dont recall the other names you mention.
Were you amongst the lads that absconded one night {mostly Thames troop],over 150 of us,me and corky and another lad were picked up just short of Wareham in the very early hours,by our own troop officer,we were all given CB,there was an enquiry and things were a bit easier for a time.
You mention credits?we had half a crown per week and half a crown was kept back for our holiday payout huh! if you could call it that.cheers mate Bill.

mick burgess

Postby mick burgess » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:09 pm

Hi Bill
I don't know if your aware but there is an Ex Boy Sqn club with its own site run by Charlie Welchman. Its been in existence since the mid 90,s The next meet is next year at Lulworth Sgt,s mess then the tank museum and an evening meal at the Springfield hotel near Wareham, wives girl friends are all welcome. Why don't you click on the Boys Sqn Rac web site and have a look there are lots of your old mates on there and plenty of pictures from the early days.
Take care Mick

beaubells

Postby beaubells » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi Mick ,many thanks ,I was unaware of this Cheers.

David Magee
Service Details: Joined Boys Squadron RAC December 1954, was in Waterloo Troop, was also in the sqn boxing team and the sqn gymnastic team, eventually joined the 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars.
Was a member of the Special Recce Squadron RAC until it's disbandment. Finished my service as a Warrant Officer in Northern Ireland in 1985 where I served for sixteen years during the troubles.
Now a writer and novelist

Postby David Magee » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:44 pm

I was with the Boys Squadron from 54-56 then passed out to the 8th Hussars which later became the QRIH. I also served with the Special Reconnaissance Squadron RAC from its inception until its sad demise. I joined up in Dec 54 and took my release in Sept 85. I would love to get in touch with anyone who was with the Squadron at the same time.
David Magee aka Paddy Magee
davidmagee491@btinternet.com

beaubells

Postby beaubells » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:57 pm

Hi david,got your message . Yes I remember you ,I believe you were a boy corporal at the time .I was in the 1956 boxing team {featherweight} we won that year.You may well have passed out the same time as myself.
I joined the 14/20th and was posted to Munster B.A.O.R .Three years later got married and purchased my release was a corporal at the time,having just returned from Tonfanau North Wales .
regards Bill Phillips.

David Magee
Service Details: Joined Boys Squadron RAC December 1954, was in Waterloo Troop, was also in the sqn boxing team and the sqn gymnastic team, eventually joined the 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars.
Was a member of the Special Recce Squadron RAC until it's disbandment. Finished my service as a Warrant Officer in Northern Ireland in 1985 where I served for sixteen years during the troubles.
Now a writer and novelist

Postby David Magee » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:30 am

Hi Bill,
of course I remember you, and it really is a pleasure to be in touch with you again, living across the pond here means I don't get to see many of the lads I grew up with. I ended up doing thirty one years and came out as a warrant officer. I got a job as a sales manager with an office equipment company in Belfast and eventually bought the company. I retired in 2002 and began my new career as a writer. I have just recently published my first novel - CLOSURE- a thriller set in Belfast, It's getting great reviews on amazon. It's available from spinetinglerspublishing.com if you're interested. I'm married for the second time and have twin boys (now 34 years old) both of them are in rock bands and heavily into the music scene.
But what about you, what have you been up to all these years? I would love to meet up with some of the guys from the squadron again. We all got a good start in life from that little unit. Anyway got to go and get writing, I'm on my third book now, guess I must have caught the writing bug somewhere along the line.
Take care Bill and I would appreciate it if you kept in touch.
davidmagee491@btinternet.com
kindest regards
David

beaubells

Postby beaubells » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:04 pm

Hi David,
good to hear from you,our paths followed very similar lines .Have been resident in New Zealand since 1972,now long retired from my business as a retailer ,marketing agent and importer.
Still play a little golf a passion of mine for well over fifty years,like you married for the second time with three successful children,one of whom is a playwright,actress and film producer and a beloved faithful and long suffering wife of over 55 years.
Well done for sticking it out for 31 years,I must admit I became quite disillusioned with the regiment after three and considered it a total waste of five and a half years ,but quickly made up for it,likewise keep in touch.
clobowbill73@gmail.com
Bill Phillips

Paul W. Baker
Site Admin
Service Details: 1420H 1978 - 1989
RH 1991 - 1992
KRH 1992 - 2003

Postby Paul W. Baker » Fri May 27, 2016 8:32 pm

Very interesting read guys, thank you. And this alone goes to prove that this website still serves its purpose, it is not all about Facebook.

Thank you.

Paul (Fred)

Return to “Where Is He Now ?”