Tripoli 52 -54

Looking for an old mate? Is anyone looking for you? Post a message here or search for names you might have information on.
trooper22659782
Service Details: 1952 - 1954
SHQ troop
B sqaudron
tripoli

Tripoli 52 -54

Postby trooper22659782 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:20 am

Hello,

My names Ronald Connors I served with B Squadron in Tripoli from 52 - 54.

Is there anyone out there that served in the same Squadron would be great to hear from you.

my email is randjconnors@gmail.com

billy whittle
Service Details: 1970 - 1980. 'B'sqn HK and Herford and NI, 'HQ' sqn Herford and Bovington. 'Veh ' Sqn Bovington, 'D'sqn Hohne, and NI then 'HQ' sqn till demob,

Re: Tripoli 52 -54

Postby billy whittle » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:54 am

Welcome to Noahs Arc Ronald, you served a bit before my time , In fact you were in Tripoli when i was born (1953) but I'm sure we will have a member who served at the same time as yourself. My first Sqn on joining the Regt in 1970 was 'B' Sqn as well.
atb Billy

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin
Service Details: Joined the regiment from training Sept 70 joined B.Sqn Nov 70 in Hong Kong D Sqn in 77 Hq in 82 left in 92

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:01 pm

Hi Ronald
Try Malcom (Bodge) Brown and Bill O'Driscoll.
Phil
Je n'oublierai pas

yorkydown
Service Details: joined regiment 1946 to 1956, served Catterick Crookham Tripoli then transferred to RASC/Rct in Tripoli then Uk Aden Bahran uh demobbed 1968

Postby yorkydown » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:33 pm

Hi Ron, read your message re tripoli 52'55, wonder if tinas bar is still in Sabratha and Rosis in Zavia (now zarwiya) great viewing and memories watching latest lybia troubles, they even bombed sharia zarwiya in Tripoli where i used to live, also saw tanks outside kings palce, opposite my villa i lived in then memories memories, hope u keeping well regards Ted Downing

rick aindow
Service Details: 1965 - 1980 started with C Sqn, went to A Sqn on promotion, finished in HQ Sqn Families Office. Postings inc. Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, NI, Tidworth, Herford, Various annual Snow Queens, 63 Army Youth Team, RAC Display Team, Hohne, Bovington

Postby rick aindow » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Hi Ronald,

Bob (Nobby) Bek lives here in Brisbane if you remember him? I believe he was in Tripoli around that time before leaving to join the Royal Marine Commando's

Regards

Rick
From Brisbane Queensland, beautiful one day, perfect the next

xnsman
Service Details: National Service May 52-54. 65th.TR. Catterick. To Regt. at Crookham Sept. 52. To Sabratha Oct. 52. To Bovington for demob May 54. To Scottish Horse(T.A.) May 54.

Postby xnsman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:48 am

Hello All:
Yes, it's strange to see these names come out of the past into today's news reports! Back in the day(as the saying is these days) Zavia was just the first town you went through on the way to Tripoli. I remember it as being somewhat bigger than Sabratha where we were stationed. I remember going to a dance there once, and a dreary affair it was! The regimental dance band was there doing it's best, with Fitz on drums and Jonah on lead trumpet, approx 300 horny Hawks in best BD, and 10-15 Italian girls , heavily chaperoned.
There were a couple of units stationed in Zavia, at least the rear parties were. The main part of the units were down in the Canal Zone. One was the 16/5 Lancers, and the other the 3rd. Bn.(Yes the 3rd. Bn) Grenadier Guards. When they eventually moved back to the U.K. their PMQs became available to married men in the regiment, probably early in 1953, and for the rest of the regiment's stay in Sabratha, these guys started their work day with about 30 kilometers in the back of a 3 tonner. I imagine they all hoped that 1st. parade maintenance had been properly done!

Anyway, it's a long time ago, and to anybody reading this who was there at that time, stay well and God bless all hawks.

Peter Law

jsj
Service Details: Joined at Wolverhampton April '52. Square bashing at Hadrian's Camp, Carlisle. Joined 14th/20th at Crookham and posted to Recce Troop. Regiment sailed from Liverpool on ss 'Lancashire' in Nov. '52 to Tripoli, Libya and on arrival at Sabratha posted to 'A' Squadron. Flew twice to Canal Zone in '53 & '54 for divisional motorcycle trial & div. exercises, both times returning on LST 'Snowdon Smith'. On demob in '54, posted to Staffs, Yeomanry at W'ton. Finally paid off in '56.

Postby jsj » Wed May 30, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi Ron. I guess we served at the same time, though I was in 'A' Squadron. You must have gone out on the 'Lancashire' ? I've been in contact (via FR) with Joe Foster a cpl in 'B' Squadron in the same years, but haven't managed to catch up with any of my mates from 'A'. All the best. Syd Jones cpl, 4 troop.

Bulldog
Service Details: 1970-1993

Postby Bulldog » Thu May 31, 2012 8:41 am

Hi Ronald and welcome to the club

I served 70-93

Dave
Enjoy Life

bodge
Service Details: A squadron 1952-1954

Postby bodge » Thu May 31, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi Syd.
trying to remember you by name but cant.
I was also in a squad and went out from Liverpool.
If you check some of my photos on the gallery you may see some of those you were with.
Bodge.

jsj
Service Details: Joined at Wolverhampton April '52. Square bashing at Hadrian's Camp, Carlisle. Joined 14th/20th at Crookham and posted to Recce Troop. Regiment sailed from Liverpool on ss 'Lancashire' in Nov. '52 to Tripoli, Libya and on arrival at Sabratha posted to 'A' Squadron. Flew twice to Canal Zone in '53 & '54 for divisional motorcycle trial & div. exercises, both times returning on LST 'Snowdon Smith'. On demob in '54, posted to Staffs, Yeomanry at W'ton. Finally paid off in '56.

Postby jsj » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi Bodge. I've just caught up with your photos in the gallery, and recognise several guys in the 'REME Troop'. Tried to name a few under 'comments' but don't think it was successful. However, it shows Tony Belcher, Reg Hart, Johnny Boss, ? Walker, Fred Atkins, ? Farrand, Scouse Grant, Ginger Forster, ? Thompson, plus a few more I can't recall. Don't think it was an exercise though, I think we had been on a jolly, up in the mountains around Garian! I actually met up with Ginger Forster at Bristol, for a pie & a pint a couple weeks ago! Talked to Jim Rudge, ex 'C' Sqdn. a couple of months back, he lives near Bournemouth I believe.
Cheers, Syd.

bodge
Service Details: A squadron 1952-1954

Postby bodge » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:43 pm

Hi Sid,
Re Tony Belcher I have a photo of him in mid air doing a swallow dive
Re Fred Atkins he was my tank driver
If you look at page 53 in the photos section there is a photo of the full A Squadron.
Bodge ( Malcolm)

williamo
Service Details: Regimental Band.
1951-1964.
Crookham,Sabratha,Kneller Hall, Piddlehinton, Munster, Hohne, Berlin, Bengazi, Bovington.

Postby williamo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:09 pm

yorkydown wrote:Hi Ron, read your message re tripoli 52'55, wonder if tinas bar is still in Sabratha and Rosis in Zavia (now zarwiya) great viewing and memories watching latest lybia troubles, they even bombed sharia zarwiya in Tripoli where i used to live, also saw tanks outside kings palce, opposite my villa i lived in then memories memories, hope u keeping well regards Ted Downing

Ted, was it Rostercherios? In Zavia that done that fantastic "Mixed Grill"

Return to “Where Is He Now ?”