Tony Platt

Looking for an old mate? Is anyone looking for you? Post a message here or search for names you might have information on.
Thinx
Service Details: A squadron 1970/76

Tony Platt

Postby Thinx » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:43 am

Hi all,
My god this site is a blast from the past, :D
Served in the Regiment 1970/76 A squadron, 4 troop, Assault troop,Bisley team member in Hereford,
Did three tours of NI,
Singapore
Borneo Brunei (That was a boat trip 3 days in an LCT) who lost the football in the sea?
Jahore baru jungle warfare school,
Was there when W Wynn got the chop RIP, if I remember rightly the bullet also went into Lash Hansons back,who was driving the ferret.
The second shot hit our saracen an inch below the macrolon on the turret, John Cornish dropped down on the seat and I tried to pinch his Rolex, Joking.
Attended the cpl Cotton shooting , Who was the guy who escaped to the woods with the 9 mm round in him??.
Remember the LRPG returning to the scene of their crime and turned the browning round to cover them (still think I should have took the shot).
Spent four days at the Royal Victoria Hospital guarding ?? what was his name shame on me , He had his jaw blown off by a culvert milk churn bomb, and still wrote his blood type in his own blood on the floor proper squaddie.
Loads more but enough for now, all the old lads please comment if you know me.

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin
Service Details: Joined the regiment from training Sept 70 joined B.Sqn Nov 70 in Hong Kong D Sqn in 77 Hq in 82 left in 92

Re: Tony Platt

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:29 am

Tony
That was Lash Hansell that got the bullett in the shoulder and Pete Webb who got the jaw injury.
wellcome to the site take your time and have a good look round you will enjoy the photo gallery.
Phil
Je n'oublierai pas

(lizard)
Service Details: 14/20 kh 72-76 Cattrick Tidworth Herford N/I Cyprus A SQN. Assault Troop

T/A RE/ P.C 79-89 holland germany gibralter hong-kong cyprus uk

Postby (lizard) » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:42 pm

What happened to ( POWERFUL PIERRE ? ) :roll:

Ron Flowers
Service Details: JLR 65-67
A Sqn
D Sqn
Lulworth Sqn
Recruit Selection Centre PS
63 AYT

Postby Ron Flowers » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:22 pm

Was it Les Davy who took the round at the same time as Mick Herbert and Jo Cotton.

Cheers Ron

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin
Service Details: Joined the regiment from training Sept 70 joined B.Sqn Nov 70 in Hong Kong D Sqn in 77 Hq in 82 left in 92

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:02 am

Ron
That seems to ring a bell, Also I think you will find it was the SPG that were responsible.
Phil
Je n'oublierai pas

billy whittle
Service Details: 1970 - 1980. 'B'sqn HK and Herford and NI, 'HQ' sqn Herford and Bovington. 'Veh ' Sqn Bovington, 'D'sqn Hohne, and NI then 'HQ' sqn till demob,

Postby billy whittle » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:16 am

Ron , it was les who took one in the shoulder, He was working in the ops room at the RUC station in Newcastle ( Co Down ) at the time along with myself, Jock Kennedy, dave Smethurst, big Duncan wheeler, Mr Bowes-Lyon was Tp leader and Al beveridge Tp Cpl , Tp Sgt was a guy from the paras called Keith ( thanks Duncan ). I seem to remember we all got called into the dining room at 1am to get the news. Billy

Thinx

Postby Thinx » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:59 am

Oh Lads you have good memories,I am Powerful Pierre nicknamed by my old friend Musk (god bless him) and I was gutted when he had the accident, as Im sure were many,Hope Roy is well?
Yes it was Lash Hansell bad typing thanks.

Thinx

Postby Thinx » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:02 am

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin wrote:Tony
That was Lash Hansell that got the bullett in the shoulder and Pete Webb who got the jaw injury.
wellcome to the site take your time and have a good look round you will enjoy the photo gallery.
Phil

Thanks for that name update and thanks for making me welcome :D

(lizard)
Service Details: 14/20 kh 72-76 Cattrick Tidworth Herford N/I Cyprus A SQN. Assault Troop

T/A RE/ P.C 79-89 holland germany gibralter hong-kong cyprus uk

Postby (lizard) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:06 am

Powerfull Pierre Should that Be ( LA MUSK ) God Bless Him ! Got the LIZARD of Steve RED,s and Roy, ( Red,s Another God Bless him now P.P ) Was just a Nig in AWE.! Great to here from you !

ALGY CAIN
Service Details: 1967-77. A and C Squadrons.

Postby ALGY CAIN » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Hi Tony, or should I say Ernst as that was another of your nicknames. Remember 4th troop N.I. with John Cornish,Ron Warren(R.I.P.) amongst others, :twisted: when we all had to have cut throat razors? :twisted: Covering up for Foxy when he had that A.D. and 19 hour foot patrols through South Armargh, that was one hell of a good troop. All the best. Algy

Mac McNulty
Site Admin
Service Details: January 1972 - August 1994

Postby Mac McNulty » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:39 am

Hi Ernie,

I was in 2nd Troop when Joe and Mick got killed and we were crashout Troop at the time of the incident along side Loch Neagh when the SPG from Belfast ended up having a shoot out with the fellas returning from R & R.

Definately not Les Davey (he was in 2nd Troop) who got shot in the arm it was a fella from Bolton cannot recall his name he had not been in the Regiment long but I remember we were out looking for him all night.

I was in Musky's troop when he was unfortunately killed he was in the Troop Leaders Section whilst I was in the Troop Sgts Section.

Good to hear from you

Mac

Bulldog
Service Details: 1970-1993

Postby Bulldog » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:59 am

Hi Tony and welcome.

I thought it was Les Davey as well that, to was wounded in the shooting.

Bulldog
Enjoy Life

Thinx

Postby Thinx » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:02 am

ALGY CAIN wrote:Hi Tony, or should I say Ernst as that was another of your nicknames. Remember 4th troop N.I. with John Cornish,Ron Warren(R.I.P.) amongst others, :twisted: when we all had to have cut throat razors? :twisted: Covering up for Foxy when he had that A.D. and 19 hour foot patrols through South Armargh, that was one hell of a good troop. All the best. Algy

Hi Algi Best troop , best squadron , best regiment wasnt just luck GOD planned it LOL

But I did serve in Assault troop as well so he must have planned a move (GOD = RSM Colbourne)

My move came about because of escaping to a local Bier house when on exersize in Germany and having to get a taxi back in the morning to our secret Lager location HAPPY DAYS

Al Beveridge

Postby Al Beveridge » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:03 am

I was reading the messages about Les Davey and Mick Herbert this week. If you go back to 'General', topic 'War Heroes' and my letter dated 16th November, you can read the accurate details regarding these two fine soldiers.

Ken Lamb
Service Details: 1968 Catterick, Paderborn, Libya, Sharjah, Singapore, Northern Ireland. 1974 Army Air Corps until 1978.

Postby Ken Lamb » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:22 pm

HI Tony, it's been a long time! I remember taking all the antenna's and a couple of guards that where dug in on the perimeter of the wood, on one of the exercises and Bowls Lyon was a bad looser when i tapped on the turret in the middle of the night. Me and Tony Komoroski Assulat troop took the troop out that night.

I can remember you from Singapore and Gosforth Castle, no idea who it was in the woods with me, the night Sgt Major Mancell i think it was, went looking for me, for a run up to Belfast.....I know there was someone else with me and some chicks in the wooden hut. Nice to hear from you!
We will never get the good times back! But it's been a pleasure

Return to “Where Is He Now ?”