Saladin v Scorpion

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
Bulldog
Service Details: 1970-1993

Re: Saladin v Scorpion

Post by Bulldog » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:31 pm

Paul

From the 1977 Hawk L/cpl McNulty, Tpr Taylor 720< Tpr Whittaker.

In the 1976 Hawk It has L/cpl Wood, Tpr Rowlett, Tpr Whittaker

All at MVEE Chertsey

Dave
Enjoy Life

hussardave
Service Details: 1965/ 1972

Post by hussardave » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:57 pm

hya kev would that be a photo of me and my upturned saladin in nothern ireland dave holt

tigger
Service Details: JLR RAC 1971-1972, 14/20 kh 1972 - 1992. Herford, Bovinton, Cyprus, Omagh, Warminster, Hohne, Croyden, Catterick, Manchester, Munster, NI tours, Gulf 1,

Post by tigger » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:24 am

In my experience I found I prefered the Browning 30. cal to the 7.62 AFV mounted MG.

I fired the 30. cal many times from Ferrets and found it to be less prone to stoppage provided you had done the head space and timing correctly, the only bug bear was as Phil said the canvass belts, never did understand why we didn't convert to metal link belts that the Dutch did

The GPMG was I suppose more versatile and was better for the dismounted role

I could never understand why they didn't convert the Ferret and Saracen turrets to take the GPMG as a standard when they introduced it???????????

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:40 am

I agree Trev the 30 was good but clumsy and in the ground role can you imagine carrying one it just wasent made for it and them dam belts, on converting to GPMG mounts probably money would come into that

Mac
You would have been at MVEE the same time I was at ATDU. Scorpion gunner I went there as a Chieftan driver on the sundance trial. I did my B 3 Dvrs in the Autum of 75 My B 1 in Jan 76 Then ATDU March 76. Bob Taylor was SSM there and he got me on the sales team.
Phil

Mac McNulty
Site Admin
Service Details: January 1972 - August 1994

Post by Mac McNulty » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:26 pm

Cheers Dave,

I have dug out a photo of me, with Stevie and Phil Whittaker at Stevie Rowlett's wedding whilst we were at MVEE and so cheers for that.

Phil,

I did a lot of work in my final few months at MVEE on the Sundance Engine, I remember one project we had to drive a Chieftain non stop for 24 hours on the Xcountry Long Valley Test Track in Aldershot the crews were three squaddies and three Civies and guess who got the night shift!!

Good times learnt a lot about Tank Driving there. The only bug bear was living in Aldershot surrounded by thousands of Paras!

Cheers

Mac

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:53 pm

Mac
That was the joy of being at ATDU it was in Bovi and so was the regiment. I was on the sundance trial for 3 month doing 8 hour shifts which rotated every week. To simulate a battle day we had to do Cross country and road running + static running. The midnight to 8 shift done 2 hours driving then back to the compound and do any maintenance ready for the 8 till 4 shift to take it out we had 3 tanks running on the trial It was great fun on Bovi heath during the 1976 drought Track change was good Drive into the compound new tracks ready laid out all the available crews on the trial including The OC and the RSMI heavy track got stuck in and back out on the heath. We were trying to get 1000 miles from 1 pack. We got through 3 packs on my tank in the first week.
Phil

Bulldog
Service Details: 1970-1993

Post by Bulldog » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:46 pm

Phil/Paul

I was Heavy Track troop during that trial, and can remember all the support needed for sundance cause the packs kept going up in steam.

NOISY NIGHTS ON THE HEATH THOUGHT

Dave
Enjoy Life

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:18 am

That was the problem Dave The piston liners kept cracking allowing coolent and oil to mix and yep a lot of noise coming up through camp past the MQs and the Sandhurst block to our compound at 02.00. I remember one day walking past the guardroom my beret was brown with the ground in dust Ted Morris RSM Shouted over to me sort it out or some other RSM type thing I just said Sundance trial sir. He just shook his head and looked up to the heavens. It had its perks though we had the corridor top floor above the cookhouse which because we could be involved with trials at any time night and day no one apart from us were allowed in Not one room inspection in 18 month's Also the daytime ban on the beehive cafe did not aply to us. Poached eggs on toast at 10.00 rather than the slop jockeys muck.
Phil

Tony Williams
Service Details: Ex. Junior Leaders.
Joined Regiment in Herford. Temp with C Sqn, then full time A Sqn.

Post by Tony Williams » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:17 pm

Driver on both. Saladin for me, much more entertaining to drive.