Message From Robin Holland

Awards of the Regimental Rosette
Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Message From Robin Holland

Postby Bob_H » Fri May 17, 2013 9:20 am

Robin Yeoman Holland

Robin Holland comes from a family with a long military history of serving with the 6th Dragoon Guards (1848), and the 14th Hussars, 20th Hussars, and 14th/20th King’s Hussars. As recently as the 1960s the three brothers: Robin, Mick and Pete served together in our Regiment. The proud family tradition is documented in the Booklet ‘With a 14th Hussar through Mesopotamia 1916-1918’ published from the private papers of Sgt RE Holland, 14H.

A keen sportsman, Robin has been a popular member of our regiment and good friend to many of us.

Robin wants it to be known that the cruel illness that he has suffered for so long is finally approaching the inevitable and he wants to wish farewell to everyone he knows. He is sad to see his beloved Reading FC suffer relegation this year but, like everything else, Robin takes it with a feeling of ‘Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)’.

Our thoughts at this time are with Robin, Gita and his family.

It has been a great personal pleasure to know you Robin.

Please add your own comments to Robin and I'll make sure they get to him.

Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin
Service Details: Joined the regiment from training Sept 70 joined B.Sqn Nov 70 in Hong Kong D Sqn in 77 Hq in 82 left in 92

Re: Message From Robin Holland

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Fri May 17, 2013 9:26 am

I worked for Robin when he was SQMS in B.Sqn Herford he gave me a lot of guidance for which I will be ever greatfull. My best wishes to him
Phil
Je n'oublierai pas

Sam
Service Details: 19 Sept 1966 to 15 May 1989

Postby Sam » Fri May 17, 2013 9:59 am

Knew Robin in the Regt great man liked him lot- took me on my conversion from Cent to Chieftain very cool man and great sense of humour I found.

Samuel P Harrison

Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Skype name: Brian Moulton

Postby Brian Moulton » Fri May 17, 2013 10:18 am

Robin was A Sqn Assault Troop Sgt in NI, my mate Mick Greenwood was Troop Corporal and I was also a full screw at the time. Quite a hectic stint, but wouldn't have missed it. Some good lads in that tour,don't see many of them either on here or at reunions.

Sorry to hear the bad news Robin, not a lot one can say except it was good to make your acquaintance. Reading are in good company with Wigan losing their battle to stay up, but IMO the Premier league has been the ruination of English football. Don't really support any of them, wish them all the best except for one "clock watching" team from Manchester.

Life gets crappier the older you get and at the moment, friends and acquaintances are deserting us too often.
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

If it's not broke ........ Mess about with it, until it is !!

Believe it or not. I'm not Jewish.
Just a very careful Christian with short arms and deep pockets !!

HarryBennett
Service Details: REME 1951-63
14/20th KH 1963-76

Postby HarryBennett » Fri May 17, 2013 3:47 pm

I've served most of my army career with the Holland Brothers but am closest to Robin having served with him in A Sqn.
I'll never forget the reunion when Reading were promoted and Robin came running in with his Reading shirt on, have the photo somewhere! Sorry they've been relegated now but they will rise again and so will you. Pam and I will always remember you and send you and Gita lots of love.
Harry and Pam.

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Postby PINKY » Fri May 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi there,
Robin,sounds like you were quite the guy. Life certainly throws a few curve balls and we just hit 'em or dodge 'em along the way.
As for Reading FC - who are ya ?? - LOL.
Atb
Pinky
MUFC - Champ20ns.

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Postby Bill Bentley » Fri May 17, 2013 7:04 pm

I also remember Robin from Herford. All I can say is: that it is a very brave and wise thing to do, to say goodbye. Most just go and so get forgotten. I hope that the suffering is bearable and wish you a safe journey. We shall meet again, I do not doubt ! My best wishes to you and your family and loved ones.

Bill Bentley

DAVE D
Service Details: 1968-2003 Served in B Sqn C Sqn HQ Sqn

Postby DAVE D » Fri May 17, 2013 7:21 pm

It is with great sadness that I read the message from Robin I have been fortunate to have known Robin since serving with B Sqn in Hong Kong. He was SQMS and we both lived in the same block of 4 flats in Pinewood Lodge where myself and Margaret became great friend with Robin and Gita. He has always been a great Hawk. a great soldier and a great friend.The fact he wishes to say farewell to all his friends at this time speaks volumes about him. I truly hope that Robin can find the strength to recover and soldier on but if not it has been an honour to have served with him and to have called both Robin and Gita friends.Our thoughts and prayers are with Robin Gita and family at this time.From Dave and Margaret.

kevman
Service Details: RHQ, PADERBORN 1965 - 'A' SQN PADERBORN - SINGAPORE - TIDWORTH - N.I (3) 1968 - 71, RAC Parachute Regt- TIDWORTH - N.I. 1972, RTU-RHQ TIDWORTH - HERFORD 1973 - 1974.

Postby kevman » Fri May 17, 2013 7:50 pm

Know Robin very well from A Squadron in N.I and after. I helped to compile the booklet about the Holland family with his brother Mick. Robin, you are a true blue 'Hawk' and it has been a real pleasure to know you, sad though the circumstances are my memories of you will always be with me.

Kev

rick aindow
Service Details: 1965 - 1980 started with C Sqn, went to A Sqn on promotion, finished in HQ Sqn Families Office. Postings inc. Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, NI, Tidworth, Herford, Various annual Snow Queens, 63 Army Youth Team, RAC Display Team, Hohne, Bovington

Postby rick aindow » Sat May 18, 2013 12:39 am

I first met Robin in Benghazi when I first arrived from basic training in Catterick, along with Frank Smith, we were both posted to C Sqn.

Both Jim Thomas and I served with Robin in Paderborn, again C Sqn, as with careers you get moved about a bit and didn't see him again until I was in Bovington and he was Sgts mess caterer.

I was fortunate to have a chat with him at a reunion a few years ago, I remember it was quite emotional as it is when you have made friends in the army.

I hope your suffering is not too long and painful, you will be sadly missed, love to Gita.

Rick
From Brisbane Queensland, beautiful one day, perfect the next

Mac McNulty
Site Admin
Service Details: January 1972 - August 1994

Postby Mac McNulty » Sat May 18, 2013 10:08 am

I vaguely remember the Holland Brothers from my time in NI and Herford with A Squadron, obviously a Hawk through and though.

A good and brave thing to do; Fight well!

My best wishes to Robin and his family.

Mac

williamo
Service Details: Regimental Band.
1951-1964.
Crookham,Sabratha,Kneller Hall, Piddlehinton, Munster, Hohne, Berlin, Bengazi, Bovington.

Postby williamo » Sat May 18, 2013 10:34 am

Certainly remember the name Holland from my time,51/64, but, as i only ever knew them as "Dutch" not sure which one i knew, however they were all True Hawks, and Robin, we wish you the very best in your present fight. Love Bill & Barbara Nd Sharon.xx

John Coleman
Service Details: 1972-1982

Postby John Coleman » Sat May 18, 2013 11:51 am

Robin is one of my best friends and is godfather to my eldest daughter, he lives in the same close as me along with my mother-in-law & Stitches Wheeler.
Robin does not have the internet I shall show him your messages on my tablet.
Robin is one of the best and will be missed.

williamo
Service Details: Regimental Band.
1951-1964.
Crookham,Sabratha,Kneller Hall, Piddlehinton, Munster, Hohne, Berlin, Bengazi, Bovington.

Postby williamo » Sat May 18, 2013 12:04 pm

John Coleman wrote:Robin is one of my best friends and is godfather to my eldest daughter, he lives in the same close as me along with my mother-in-law & stitches Wheeler.
Robin does not have the internet I shall show him your massages on my tablet.
Robin is one of the best and will be missed.

Thank you John, and God Bless you Dutch. Hussar!

DRAC
Service Details: 1961 TO 2001

Postby DRAC » Sat May 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Very sad news concerning Robins health. I first had the pleasure of meeting Robin when he taught some of us "oldies" how to speak basic German in Perham Down in 1966, up to taking over his Assault troop when he was on R and R at Gosford Castle.
To me he was always THE MR COOL and I continually respected his judgement and behavior throughout my career
Denny and I sincerly hope that your passing is a peacefull one close to family and friends
God bless you Dutch
Drac and Denny

Return to “Announcements”