Rugby Shirts

20th Hussars Regimental Tie
Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Rugby Shirts

Postby Bill Bentley » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:16 am

Bob,

my re-order of rugby shirts has arrived safely. Many thanks !
I am really pleased with the motive 'Hawk on Kukris' which is fantastic !

I am especially chuffed that I can now openly demonstrate my support of our little, loyal, brave, Gurkha brothers, especially at this moment when they are able to dedicate their own memorial at the National Arboretum, may they long remain our friends !

As an idea for a new item in your shop, I was wondering if we could use our contacts to get hold of 'real Kukri's' for sale to our members. I remember having a stainless steel model years ago but they were hard to sharpen, didn't keep an edge and were not up to 'hard work', too brittle ! I for one would find a 'real Kukri' as used by the land workers in Nepal a great tool in the garden. (Not the extra large version, the standard one.)

I suppose one question is would anybody else be interested ... to make an order viable ...

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin
Service Details: Joined the regiment from training Sept 70 joined B.Sqn Nov 70 in Hong Kong D Sqn in 77 Hq in 82 left in 92

Re: Rugby Shirts

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:54 am

Bill
A few years back my son Mike got me a Kukri from Nepal its the real deal

http://www.khukuriblades.com/
Je n'oublierai pas

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:18 am

Phil,

what a simply brilliant site ! I was not even aware that there were so many versions of Kukri and they have exactly what I am looking for and as there were so many other seriously tasty tools I'm thinking of starting a collection. So Santa, even if I don't believe in you ... you know what I would like for xmas.

Phil, which model did you get ? Send a pm or a direct mail if you prefer. Oh I am excited :D :D :D !

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin
Service Details: Joined the regiment from training Sept 70 joined B.Sqn Nov 70 in Hong Kong D Sqn in 77 Hq in 82 left in 92

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:14 am

Hi Bill
Just back from Cornwall. I have the standerd Kukri. The motive Hawk on Kukris was an idea from my son Mike gor a tattoo he ask me to ask Bob to do the design. IHe wanted it to be unique but I asked Bob on facebook wallagh everyone jumped on it boy did Mike roast me.
Phil
Je n'oublierai pas

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:52 am

Phil,

other than my total respect for the Gurkha's and my passion for 'things sharp', I regard the Kukri as a wonderful tool in the garden. As all shiny blades loose much of their tempering qualities during the cleaning and polishing treatment and so loose some of their 'rigidity and flexibility' and their ability to take and hold a good edge, I have chosen the ' Great Panwal black'. I was surprised at the cost of P&P and I'll have to wait and see what the bank (robbers) give me for an exchange rate $/€ to know the actual cost. Whatever, if you want something special, you have to be prepared to pay for it !

If the first order clears customs, a problem here, I shall place a follow up order for a few extras. By the way, I received a mail saying that I have won a 'Nepal Hat', did you get one, does everybody get one ?

What were you doing in beautiful Cornwall ? One of my brothers lives in St. Ives. We visited him some years ago and of course the 'Lost Gardens of Heligan, the Eden Project, St. Michaels Mount, etc. etc. a truly fantastic part of the UK (we can still say that can't we, Scotland still being with us and all that :wink: ).

My sister in law told us of an old cornish custom. During fog and bad weather, her grandfather and his mates used to carry beacons on the back of donkeys to 'chosen places' along the coast. They would light them at night and lure the ships to wreck on the coast and then collect the 'washed up goods' ... :wink: ... their mates were of course waiting on the 'correct' beach, first come first served :roll: ! Of course with the introduction of radar and later high-tech, the ships no longer needed lighthouses and so the false beacon trick fell out of fasion :( . Ever wondered why the cornish flag is black with a white cross ... add a skull and you almost have a 'Jolly Roger' :lol: !

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:47 am

Hi Bill
Did a bit of this
Attachments
10721291_10152719876149476_1193085608_n.jpg
10721291_10152719876149476_1193085608_n.jpg (7.2 KiB) Viewed 5093 times
Je n'oublierai pas

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:39 am

Phil,

I take it that was just your portion !

We ate one, between us,(!) but we had a cup of tea each :)

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:24 am

Bill
You have to be kidding that was between 2 and I could not manage my half
Je n'oublierai pas

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:28 am

The flag is attributed to Saint Piran, a 6th-century Cornish abbot. One early use of a white cross and black background design is the 15th century coat of arms of the Saint-Peran family
Flag_of_Cornwall_svg.png
Flag_of_Cornwall_svg.png (523 Bytes) Viewed 5054 times
Je n'oublierai pas

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:34 am

Incase anybody is interested I have now been billed for my Kukri. All up, including P&P, it cost about 50 quid. (That's having done 3 x exchange rates, $,€, pounds).

50 quid is not a lot for something special !

The choice of Kukri's is mouthwatering:

http://www.khukuriblades.com/

The owner of the firm is a former Gurkha Sergeant Major and he employs traditional craftsmen which come from the lowest cast and he promises to pay them a decent wage. What better way can there be of helping fine people to earn their own living and get a great toy for yourself at the same time ?

They have done any number of deliveries to the UK but none, as yet, to Germany ... so I'm waiting to see if my order gets through customs; they have stopped us recieving sarongs in the past, because we ordered a dozen which was considered as being 'too many for private use' :? !

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Postby Arnie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:50 pm

Bill,

who knows what the Civil (they are kidding) Servant minds think like. Different weapon but red tape minded.
Last time in Europe I was asked by a guy I worked with if I could keep my eye out for a Nazi dagger. I did try and found a replica in, of all places Stratford on Avon, a shop about 25/30 meters from his birthplace. Bought it and brought it back to Perth. As it was in my suitcase I thought nothing of it but my suitcase was one they chose to XRay.
Besides the dagger they saw a big black cube. Brenda had bought some blocks of Belgian chocolate, wrapped in tinfoil, so we were pulled out of the line. Can't bring food-stuffs into Western Australia a we will have to take advice on the dagger. Called a copper over and asked his advice. That i :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: s alright he said, had it been a couple of inches shorter it would have been confiscated. In their mind it was not concealable. Who would figure.

Arnie

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:19 pm

Arnie,

when I was state side, during my time off, I did quite some tours. Passing from Arisona to Nevada we were stopped by the state troopers, just for a routine check. They had no probs with my side arm being concealed as I had immunity, (I was even allowed to carry on aircraft when on duty), but as I had an orange or two in my nose bag, man they were really put out. 'We could inadvertently bring some dangerous insect or the like across the boarder, they told me ! I pointed out that there was a thousand mile open boarder between the two states but that could not prevent them from confiscating my oranges :? ...

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:56 am

At last my Kukri, or perhaps I should write Khukuri as they do, has arrived. I must say that I am well pleased and it has an edge on it which will not be easy to keep. I've already been out in the garden clearing the undergrowth, trying to find the right swing and the perfect 'sweet point' and the best angle to strike. First impressions are very positive, unlike many of my tools, I do not get the feeling that the Khukuri wants to leave my hand when striking. It's long enough to get underneath bushes but short enough not to get in the way of itself. It's also really convenient to carry on a belt, cross drawn, which means that it can also be drawn from a sitting position, which is often the case when groveling around on the ground under scrub. Well pleased :D :D :D

Return to “Noah's ARC Online Shop”