Electric SHOCK

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Electric SHOCK

Postby Bill Bentley » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:38 am

If, like me, any of you environmentally friendly types are thinking of buying an electrically powered car … think again, this is perhaps the biggest con since unleaded petrol !

An average electric car uses about 15 kWh per 100 km. With a kWh (here) costing around 30 € cents that’s about €4,50 per 100 km, not at all bad !

We already have solar for hot water and heating (designed and built the house ourselves), works just great, in winter the log fire, with an integrated heat exchanger, does what the sun can’t. So we have regularly looked at solar Photovoltaic - electricity to give us still more independence and help protect the environment.

All of our research has proven that it’s a waste of money as we only pay about €800,- per year for electricity and a suitable system would cost us around €20,000,- without batteries ! So we would be paying our electricity bill 25 years in advance and still carrying the risk of damage and repairs and our insurance charges would increase into the bargain. OK, any unused / surplus electricity can / (here 10% MUST) be sold to the grid but then we become 'an energy producing business' and need a business tax advisor who's charges then consume our theoretical win. (There are also major concerns regarding safety in the event of fire as the Fire Brigade risk a lethal electric shock if they spray water onto the fire and so often prefer to let houses burn out !!!!!)

With batteries to store the surplus (instead of selling it to the grid) it would cost quite a lot more but we would, in theory, still be willing to risk this investment for the added independence and security of supply but …

If a solar system produces a nominal one kWh and you load it into a battery, you can’t get one kWh from the battery as around 50% gets lost during transmission. Where does the energy go ? It vanishes as heat ! So, logically an electric car, which itself consumes 15 kWh / 100 km, consumes considerably more power from the plug socket during charging, increasing the cost up to about €9,- per 100 km, NOT AT ALL good and not much cheaper than a conventional small car !

Using a direct solar photovoltaic charger can’t work either as most cars are usually parked at home at night and it’s then dark.

Using a normal 240V plug charger needs about 12 hours daily to top up the batteries.
A quick charger does this in about 3 - 4 hours but then … the house fuse needs to be 80 amps and most houses only have a 63 amp fuse. While it’s easy enough to upgrade, if three houses in a single street upgrade and quick charge at the same time the streets fuse might well blow out.

The electricity out of a plug socket is still mostly produced by coal, oil, gas or nuclear power and not by environmentally friendly sources and anyway, from the point of producing one kWh to the point of it being consumed at home there are often also up to 40% of transmission losses !

But the real kick in the arse is: to produce a battery for an electric car it creates so much carbon dioxide that you could run a small car for about 8 fucking years ! AND, such batteries only have a life expectancy of about THREE years, effectively at least DOUBLING the environmental pollution :twisted: :twisted: !!!

I would be happy if anybody could prove me wrong here but I fear we are all being taken for a ride :( :( .

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Re: Electric SHOCK

Postby Arnie » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi Bill and all,

as usual you are spot on. I agree wholeheartedly with your 2nd line 1st paragraph, 'CON' and the last line where you say "we are being taken for a ride.

This and the Global Warming 'CON' we are being shafted!!!!!

Arnie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sammy
Service Details: Joined at Bengarzi Jan 1964 served with A Squadron until May 1973

Postby sammy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:51 pm

One question that was asked on a previous thread was, if all cars in the uk were to run on electric, how much would it cost to improve the electrical supply network to enable them all to recharge every day? currently our network simply cannot supply the electricity needed. How much non green gas/coal/oil would need to be burnt to boost the current electric supply to cope?
Surely we would be producing more harmful gases than if we just stayed with petrol cars.
I agree with you both it smalls like a big con by interested parties who want to make a big profit out of the change over.
I also believe that the Lithium need for the batteries can only be found in one place on earth, it is already very expensive, I wonder who has a vested financial interest in the mining and supply of Lithium.
Sammy

sammy
Service Details: Joined at Bengarzi Jan 1964 served with A Squadron until May 1973

Postby sammy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:52 pm

sorry that should read smells not smalls
sammy

j kerwin
Service Details: 2RTR NI. 1962 to 1966 A sqn 14/20kh Libya cyprus (un) perham down.

Postby j kerwin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:05 pm

if electric cars do take over, take care not to crash. for Lithium once exposed to air goes off with a big bang. its a good way for governments to get rid of cars and drivers.

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Postby Bill Bentley » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:38 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone, does nobody support this madness ?

Arnie,

I was NOT and am NOT suggesting that Global Warming is a con. I am in no doubt as to the FACT that our climate is changing: that is to say that 'a long period of climatic stability is coming to an end'. I also accept that we humans with our expanding population and industrial activity are speeding up the arrival of and possibly the severity of these changes and that seems pretty stupid to me.
It's a bit like smoking, being a junky or an alky: you know for certain that it is harming you but you do it anyway. That your smoking poisons the air your own kids breathe, that the money that you steal from your own grandmother to feed your addiction or that the booze that you drink before you drive home could so easily kill you, your own kids and or your grandmother, or all of them together, is irrelevant to the addict, you do it anyway :? .

I just find it a pathetic shame that our leaders are so stupid, there is such a lot that we should do that could perhaps help:
My first choice would be to demand the reforestation of 'set aside land' this is land which farmers get paid subsidies not to use. Growing wood stores carbon dioxide for generations, woodlands are essential habitats for our birds, insects and microbes, the roots help maintain ground stability and soften the effects of flooding, draw nutrients up from deep down and, via their leaves, spread the nutrients back on the surface for all to enjoy. Trees affect the climate not just in the rain forests but world wide, Europe was once a great forest ! I would reduce, BY LAW, the size of open spaces: fields and bring back hedgerows, ditches and dry stone walls. I am not suggesting that everything should become wild, it could all be 'managed', the wood later being used for building and as a source of energy ... dream on eh :cry: .

Perhaps John was right: :!: perhaps we should encourage smoking, drinking, drug abuse and electric cars, then when they crash the big bang and leaking gasses could help reduce the population and slow down the industrial expansion. Not that this would be my own chosen way but it rather looks like it is the way we are heading :? .

Return to “General Chat”