Done and dusted

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Ian Neilson
Service Details: JLR Bovington 1961, A Squadron 14/20H Benghazi, Tripoli, UN Cyprus, Perham Down, Paderborn. Civvy Street for a while. Rejoined 1975 14/20H B Squadron Hereford, posted AAC Middle Wallop, Munster, Long Kesh NI, Munster, Omagh NI, Munster, Bovington 1980 demob.

Done and dusted

Postby Ian Neilson » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:39 pm

It seems that this website is done and finished by popular choice.
It's a shame that something that was so uniquely our own has fallen into non use by the attraction of the facebook monster.
My regards to those few stalwarts that has tried so hard to keep it going.
Ian Neilson... Alive and well, nearing 71, still in Crewe (for now).

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Re: Done and dusted

Postby Bill Bentley » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:21 am

Hi Ian,

glad to see you popping up now and again and to hear that you are still well and still in Crew, for now, not planning another disappearing act are you ? By the way, did you ever know David Mallam ?

I suppose that having everything well dusted is a hangover problem from service, I well remember certain 'nut cases', wearing white gloves, inspecting our rooms, looking for dust !

These days I live on the edge of the countryside and tractors plough, mow and harvest the fields all around us, seemingly none stop. If we were to go around chasing dust we would never get anything else done, so it tends to stay where it lands till the point of being embarrassing before being shoveled away; that's real life on a working farm.

Notwithstanding that people who chase dust are obviously bored shitless, they are also probably the cause of their own offspring having allergies later in life. I suppose that's one version of what is meant by 'The road to Hell is paved with good intention'.

That's me done, but definitely not dusted :lol: !

j kerwin
Service Details: 2RTR NI. 1962 to 1966 A sqn 14/20kh Libya cyprus (un) perham down.

Postby j kerwin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:01 am

Glad to hear from you Ian. I hope the sites not done. But i refuse to go onto facebook, maybe it's just I'm an old git. :(
But still log on here each day.

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Postby PINKY » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:16 pm

I do both.......

bodge
Service Details: A squadron 1952-1954

Postby bodge » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:08 pm

so do I
Bodge

FERDY
Service Details: 1963 - 1977
Catterick, Benghazi, Tidworth, Paderborn, Ireland, Perham Down,Ireland, Herford, Bovington. (Can't remember the order though, Brain Dead !! ) Oh and a lot of time spent at Bisley !!

Postby FERDY » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:56 pm

So do I !

But there is no getting away from the ease of use of Facebook, and the ability to respond immediately to any comment, or Post, also the ease of posting photo.

Whereas posting comments on here, invariably means a day or two wait for a response.

We have no plans to close this site, but like, yourselves, I do wish there was more input by members, in the meantime I hope stalwarts like yourselves continue use this site, and enjoy !
If you can stay calm when all around you is in Chaos, Then you have not properly understood the Situation!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:09 am

Got to ask: Ferdy, Bodge & Pinky ...

You do BOTH what ?

Dust and then inspect yourselves with white gloves on ?

Now I once heard a story about a guy with rubber gloves on, and a gas mask, stranger things happen at sea, or so I am told :? .

FERDY
Service Details: 1963 - 1977
Catterick, Benghazi, Tidworth, Paderborn, Ireland, Perham Down,Ireland, Herford, Bovington. (Can't remember the order though, Brain Dead !! ) Oh and a lot of time spent at Bisley !!

Postby FERDY » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:17 am

In short, Bill yes, log on to here, then on to 5, 14th/20th Facebook pages to keep up to speed with what is happening, who is still around, who is not, post the odd joke, etc.

Then I get to the important bit of dusting down, but, with marigold rubber gloves, somehow more satisfying than white gloves, and a bigger range of colours !

After that, my day consists of Noah's ARC Stuff in general, at the moment organising with the Hotel for next years Reunion, how we want it to run, menu's timings etc.

Then there are other things to sort, for instance the Friday night entertainment, DJ for Saturday, Draw Tickets, Port, etc. There is also the monumental Task of securing, begging, stealing Prizes for the Tombola, and Silent Auction we hold at the Reunions.

It goes without saying, that I do not do all this by myself of course, in fact that would be nigh on impossible!

I am fortunate to have the absolutely best Committee, that work tirelessly to keep Noah's ARC going, and, for their effort, and input, I am eternally grateful.

Raising the money to do all that is needed, is a constant battle, costs continue to rise, and our biggest source of income is from what the Committee, and the Shop generate.

With their tremendous input, we have, and will continue to make all Reunions, "The best one yet ",

Next April will be our 22nd Annual Reunion, and, already, with things we have put in place, contracted for, etc, it looks like it could be another great event !
If you can stay calm when all around you is in Chaos, Then you have not properly understood the Situation!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

PINKY

Postby PINKY » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:56 pm

Both........I try to contribute to this brilliant website as I believe it should be supported by all of us
hawks. This website was there at the start of the Noah's Arc revolution. I recall going on it as a serving KRH soldier and keeping its existence on the low down as not to upset our RH types.
I use FB daily to keep in touch with my family in the UK and other friends around the world. 14/20 H FB pages can however be very annoying as all and sundry make comments welcome and most un welcome on there.........I try to keep my opinions to my closer friends in the form of a FB messages rather than to the world......its just easier that way.
Pinky

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Postby Arnie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:22 am

Stalwarts All,( Not the ones in the Saladin range of APCs)
of course it should be kept going by whoever. Although I don't contribute submissions to every topic I do read them with interest THEN open F/B.
Love to read Bill's contributions and do so miss Quassie's copious submissions. Love Bodge's jokes hear about that place North of America by Pinky.

Keep it going chaps.

Arnie :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Great to hear from you Arnie,

I suppose it is understandable that you guys at the top and bottom of the world should have found a link - facebook - to keep in contact with family etc. who wouldn't normally turn up on a regimental web site; afterall which civi would be mad enough to mix it with you lot :wink: .

'Stalwart', always makes me remember big Denis Jones standing on the drivers seat, looking over the full length of the vehicle, reversing, nudging the steering wheel, as required, with his feet. Tidworth or Herford '72 me thinks, smashing fellow, always looked after the / us Sprogs for which I for one was most grateful. Not everyone liked ex JLR JSSM's who turned up with Para wings, three trades a ton of ambitions and a non-smoker to boot. Were it not for that particular 'Stalwart' life might have been a lot tougher for many of us. Bless his cotton socks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Postby Arnie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:02 am

Hi Bill, wasn't it mentioned on the site in the dim and distant past about a Tpr Painter, who stole a Stalwart and went absent. Motored all the way across BAOR filling up at Bundeswehr camps, with the story that his Sergeant was following and would sign for it.
His intention being to drive across the Channel from Calais and continue to cross UK, then the Irish Sea and go missing in Ireland.
Something wrong with the throttle so he had to turn back to Calais, up on to the beach, posed for photos by the local press, then into a pub where he was arrested and returned to Hohne.
Seem to remember being Guard Commander while he was in the guardroom. Those were the days.

Arnie

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:37 am

...And they call you Mr forgetful !

Can't say that I recall that particular story but it sounds like it has film potential ! Not everyone that went AWOL was 'bad' some just couldn't hack the system ... understandably !

I have to say 'well done' to Ian, because with one more entry on this theme it will have had the most replies in almost a year. ... Now who will it be :?: .

PINKY

Postby PINKY » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:53 pm

Well done Ian......

Ian Neilson
Service Details: JLR Bovington 1961, A Squadron 14/20H Benghazi, Tripoli, UN Cyprus, Perham Down, Paderborn. Civvy Street for a while. Rejoined 1975 14/20H B Squadron Hereford, posted AAC Middle Wallop, Munster, Long Kesh NI, Munster, Omagh NI, Munster, Bovington 1980 demob.

Postby Ian Neilson » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:50 pm

Thank you for the well done Ian guys...I just hoped to get any response.
I did not ever drive a Stalwart myself but I did command the bridgelayer tank in about 1968 with Billy Ash driving. He was actually the expert and we did get to deploy the bridge now and then. Except for the time we were stuck in Kassel rail sidings for a whole exercise unable to turn out of the exit without destroying the gate.
I was there however when Andy Navin (l believe it was ) sunk our Stalwart in the river Waser. My contribution was to swim the SHQ 432 across the river at that time.

Return to “General Chat”