Where has everybody gone

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
mick burgess
Service Details: Joined Boy's Sqn RAC Sepy 1956
Joined B Sqn Berlin Dec 1958
Joined C Sqn Celle Feb 1960
Posted Hohne Regt came together1961
Benghazi, Cyprus, Perham Down, Lulworth,
Tidworth, Herford, Manchester, Lulworth,
Catterick, Munster 1992 KRH Lulworth.
Retired Dec 2006 after 50 years/6 months

Re: Where has everybody gone

Post by mick burgess » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:06 pm

Hi "Old" Hawks,
Nice to hear from you all and as the saying goes if you don't use it sure as hell we will lose It, I to am not a Twitter/Facebook but respect those who are. The main thing is we all chat now and again and I am sure once Paul and his team are settled will also use this media as well like Bob did.
Last week I sent the info regarding the funeral of Ted Morris wife Rita hoping it would appear on this site ,Did anyone see it or was it put on Facebook.

Great to see you again Sammy at the Bovy W/E and reminisce about our 4th Troop A Sqn days with UN in Cyprus. Plus that epic patrol up the pass to Kyrenia - then back via Trudos how Jim Eadsforth Ferret didn't go over that cliff was a Miracle.
While we are on the "Cyprus Sandbag" if any of you Hawks out there were in C Sqn Benghazi when we got sent to Cyprus Xmas 63/64 you are entitled to a clasp on your General Service Medal. A Tanky mate of mine who took over from us in Nicosia said the government had agreed with the MOD to award this medal during the 1963/4 Cyprus emergency. So I emailed the MOD filled in the form with my service number and Regt, they replied said I was entitled and told me to send my general service medal with the N Ireland clasp back to them and I would be reissued with a medal containing both clasps. Sent it off and am awaiting the return.
Also talking to someone else about medals etc and he said that all of us who served in Berlin during the cold war a medal has been struck for that campaign, anyone confirm this ? By the way is "Wacker Preece" still around someone mentioned him earlier what a character.

That's enough waffle for tonight Mick B

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Post by Bill Bentley » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:06 am

Hi Mick,

I was not in Cyprus in 63/4, far too young and good looking. I was however there in 1974, with the Para Sqn., throughout the then conflict; I don't suppose you know if we have also been granted a bar ?

I did read the post about Ted's wife Rita but personally I only pass comment for people who I knew. Having served in six units, and getting bad news almost every week from somewhere, I decided long ago not to comment unless they were friends of mine. I trust that you will understand.

Glad to see that ever more people are returning to the Arc !

Ian Neilson
Service Details: JLR Bovington 1961, A Squadron 14/20H Benghazi, Tripoli, UN Cyprus, Perham Down, Paderborn. Civvy Street for a while. Rejoined 1975 14/20H B Squadron Hereford, posted AAC Middle Wallop, Munster, Long Kesh NI, Munster, Omagh NI, Munster, Bovington 1980 demob.

Post by Ian Neilson » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:37 am

Hi comrades,
I'm here too, always have been. It has been lonely for awhile except for Tony, Pinky and Bill mainly. Sorry Quassie is no longer here to entertain and inform.
Hi Malcolm (Sammmy) long time no see, not spotted you in Crewe since I got back from Canada and now that you are moving away we will probably will not bump into you now. All the best anyway. Margaret and I still remember when you and Sandy had the room next door at the Isenbort hotel in Paderborn almost fifty years ago.
Ian.

Hawk195
Service Details: 14th/20th Kings Hussars 1960 to 1973

Post by Hawk195 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:03 am

Hi Mick

Sorry to say Ken is long since passed. Like all info on these things, word of mouth is dodgy. I was told that he died in the Virgin Isles( not to be confused with Bransons place) where he walked on to a runway and got hit by a plane. Last I heard Molly was living in the New Forest area, don't know what happened to his children they will be in their 50's I should think.

Tony
A word is enough for a wise man

mick burgess

Post by mick burgess » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:15 pm

Hi Bill,
Received My GS Medal back today with both the N, Ireland and Cyprus clasps attached from the MOD Medal Office and amazingly no charge. You could well qualify all you have to do is write to the medal office or email your query to them. That goes for any other old Hawks out there have a go. the address is :- Ministry of Defence Medal Office, Innsworth House, Imjin Barracks, Gloucester GL3 1HW. email DBS-Medals@mod.uk phone 0141 224 3600

I agree right or wrong the country voted out so for god's sake you mp,s get you fingers out and plan for the future and stop worrying who is going to be leader just do what you are paid for "Govern The Country"

​For all of you out there have a look at this utube clip it justifies a lot of the issues. ​

https://youtu.be/LyePCRkq620
Take care old Hawks Mick

sammy
Service Details: Joined at Bengarzi Jan 1964 served with A Squadron until May 1973

Post by sammy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:07 am

Hi Ian,
Didn't know that you were back in Crewe, Sandy and I returned when we retired three years ago. it is a long time ago since we were in the Isenbort, a life time in fact.Good to hear from you.
Sammy

DaveO
Service Details: A squadron REME Paderborn 1966-1967

Post by DaveO » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:29 pm

Good Evening Gents,perhaps I could shed a little light on Ken Preece,we worked together in 1969 after getting out of the Army,we worked in Libya on a defence contract for British Aircraft Corporation,based in El Beida working on Saladins,Saracens and Ferrets and all was going well until Col Gaddafi took over and we were detained in the Shahat Hotel near Cyrene and Sousse for a couple of months before being kicked out and flown to Fumichino Airport in Rome and dumped there with no money etc apart from a few libyan £ which by then was worthless,but Wacker being his usual self managed to persuade a barman in the airport to sell us beer with this money.After our contracts were settled by BAC in Stevenage,I heard that he worked for Waites building firm and that years later died working in the Falklands.In 1966-67 I was A SQD REME in Paderborn along with Staff Pope,Sgt Pete Cooley,Pud Gooding and Jim Wheeler who I roomed with along with the Sqd dog "Wogger".

Hawk195
Service Details: 14th/20th Kings Hussars 1960 to 1973

Post by Hawk195 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:44 pm

Dave

Thanks for clarifying the movements of Ken. At one stage I thought I was his son, every where he went it used to be come on herb lets go and have a walk round. Molly was great though every time I had to baby sit Micheal and his sister it was help yourself if you need to eat or drink any thing. I am not sure who told me it was the Virgin Isles where he died.

Thanks again

Tony
A word is enough for a wise man

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Post by Arnie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:24 pm

Having recently re-connected with Bill and then looking up the Arc I realise that I am an offender. I wasn't even watching the 14/20H site on Facebook. I don't need to look in the mirror, because for a start I hate what I see, and the less I have to look at the reflection the better I like it.

I am back with a 'vengeance'. Raring to go. But its late here and an old codger has to get to bed, if he is to get up at 0730 hrs to drive the old foggies in the retirement village around in what we call the Junibug, an 8 seater Golf Buggy. Its only fair that the ones that can get around (the young at heart and still very active) volunteer to help the ones who are not.
Look for me to join in this lively debate on Brexit.

Arnie, good to be back.

mick burgess

Post by mick burgess » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:41 pm

Hi Arnie,
Great to hear from an old desert warrior by the way do you remember Johnny Horspool C Sqn Benghazi he ended up in the stables at D'Aosta. Well we still communicate and 5 years ago he came over from Aus and stayed with us and we both went north to Blackpool for a reunion. He was a £10 pom after he left the Army and moved with his family to Aus.Sadly his wife passed away soon after and he brought up his 3 children together tough job but he was a resilient old Hawk.
He now lives near Woolongong NSW Regarding Brexit as far as I am concerned the people voted and now the New government in both parties must get their fingers out and MAKE it work for all us Brits.
Take care Mick/Marion

Sam
Service Details: 19 Sept 1966 to 15 May 1989

Post by Sam » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:36 am

Makes me smile to read some your comments please keep them coming. My self I only say something when I have something to say- Live long and enjoy life

mick burgess

Post by mick burgess » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:34 pm

Hi Sammy,
If my memory serves me right you were never short of verbal when we up in Anadu especially when taking over from Bingham and "OTTO Smith what a character he was big burley chap ,This afternoon I bought some mince and tatties thought right I know I will make a cottage pie !!!! Remember I used to cook that when were at Anadu good old days. A few years ago I went back to Nicosia to see if I could find the Ledra Palace Hotel where C Sqn were billeted in 63 our troop slept in the squash court but couldn't find it.
Took a memory trip to Zyggi Camp where you and I were with the UN got to the gate the GD Room was still there on the left asked the sentry if I could have a walk round NO Chance the Greeks have taken it over. The village hasn't changed much jetty still there SSM Sharrock, Pete Cooley and others used to water sky !!!!

Happy Days Take care mucker.
Mick

sammy
Service Details: Joined at Bengarzi Jan 1964 served with A Squadron until May 1973

Post by sammy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:30 pm

Mick
I certainly remember many afternoons swimming off the end of the pier at Ziggi, the sun was always shining, the marine life was wonderful to see and of course we always took a crate on Tennents from the Sqn Bar.
Anadu, I remember we once smuggled the local Turkish village leader out of the village to Pathos to see the doctor.
My eldest son was born back in Blighty while we were there (did not get to see him until 11 months later) had to wait until we returned to Ziggi to contact Sandy and of course wet his head.
Sammy

john kerwin
Service Details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

Post by john kerwin » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:17 pm

mick
I was in BMH after trying to fly a vw beetle :D :D just outside larnaca. I think you were in with your wife.
going back to ziggi I have some photos of the jetty, with dick whitington, drac. sam mason. satch and many more.
If I can find them I'll post them on here.

sammy

Post by sammy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:10 am

John would love to see the photo's on here
Sammy