Hawk on a Walk

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Paul W. Baker
Site Admin
Service Details: 1420H 1978 - 1989
RH 1991 - 1992
KRH 1992 - 2003

Hawk on a Walk

Postby Paul W. Baker » Wed May 18, 2016 10:07 am

Bryan Lythgoe sets off on his challenge to walk from Fulwood Barracks in Preston, to Peninsular Barracks in Winchester, at 0700hrs this Thursday, 19th May 2016. He is raising money for The Regimental Welfare Fund.

Bryan aims to finish his walk on Wednesday 25th May between midday and 1pm, and will coincide with the visit to HHQ of The Senior Colonel KRH, HRH Prince Michael of Kent, who will arrive to open the refurbished HHQ at 1130hrs. Those who wish to support are welcome to gather at the Regimental tent in front of HHQ.

You can read about Bryan’s challenge on the KRH Website and follow him on Facebook here, where he will be posting updates of his journey along the way. Please help Bryan to achieve his goal of raising £1992. Donations can be made on line at this link, or via the Regimental website, or cheques (made payable to "KRH Regimental Welfare Fund”) may be sent to HHQ KRH, Peninsular Barracks, Winchester, SO23 8TS.

Bryan’s final training report is as follows:

“Right I have read the book (The unlikely pilgrimage of Harold Fry) Seen the film, talked the talk. Now I have to walk the walk. Ringo is over the moon with his hat even if it is a little large. Shirts and hats and waterproofs supplied free of charge by my hero Darren Walker. Now there is the little matter of raising a bit more dosh to reach my target. If you would like to donate please have a look at what I aim to do at http://www.krh.org.uk and click on Hawk on a Walk.

Please bear in mind I want to do this in 5 days and at the ripe old age of 59 years and 11 months I will need a lot of motivation. I will keep you all informed of how I am doing and where I am by regular postings on facebook. I thank you all for supporting and sponsoring so far. Go day is this Thursday at 0700hrs. Bryan. Gulp”.

Over the past year the Regimental Welfare Fund has distributed in excess of £17,000 to over 35 former members of the Regiment, or family members, who were in need.

Good Luck Bryan!

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Re: Hawk on a Walk

Postby PINKY » Thu May 19, 2016 1:44 pm

Good luck Bri.
Pinky

Paul W. Baker
Site Admin
RH 1991 - 1992
KRH 1992 - 2003

Postby Paul W. Baker » Fri May 20, 2016 10:26 am

Hawk on a Walk

Fed watered ready for the next 40 ish. Did about 45 mile today detours through Wigan and Warrington. Drenched but not feeling too bad. Warrington named a road after me, how very kind of them. Sorry about not keeping you all informed of my whereabouts but technology me and water do not go well together. Meeting up with Terry Murphy in the morning to keep me company for a few miles or 20. Love you all to bits for your encouragement. X Bryan.

Bryan has raised £2468 so far.

Paul W. Baker
Site Admin
RH 1991 - 1992
KRH 1992 - 2003

Postby Paul W. Baker » Fri May 20, 2016 6:51 pm

I was asked for the route today so I thought I would add it to the site:

LEG 1:
Preston : Euxton : Coppull : Standish : Wigan : Abram : Golborne : Haydock : Hermitage Green : Winwick : Warrington : Frandley : Lostock Graham : Lostock Green.

LEG 2:
Lostock Green : Lack Dennis : Cranage : Holmes Chapel : Brereton : Brereton Green : Arclid : Rodeheath : Hanford : Trentham : Tittenser : Meaford : Aston by Stone : Yartlet : Stafford : Queensville : Bednall Head.

LEG 3:
Bednall Head : Huntington : Cannock : Rummerhill : Great Wyerly : Churchbridge : Newtown : Wallsall - West Bromwich : Smethwick : Sellyoak : Weatheroakhill : Beoley : Winyates West : Ipsley : Matchboro : Washford : Studley : Coughton : Kings Coughton : Arrow : Bidford on Avon.

LEG 4:
Bidford on Avon : Bickmarsh : Ullington : Honeybourne : Santbury : Longborough : Stow on the Wold : Wyck Hill : Burford : Brize Norton : Bampton : Buckland Marsh : Stanford in the Vale.

LEG 5:
Stanford in the Vale : Leckhampstead : East Challow : Wantage : Lockinge : Snelsmere :
Donnington : Newbury : Washcommon : Washwater : Highclere : Cruxeaston : Woodcott : Egbury : Newbarnfarm : St Andrew : Hurstbourne Priors : East Aston : Longparish : Barton Stacey : Harestock : Winchester : Pub

Paul W. Baker
Site Admin
RH 1991 - 1992
KRH 1992 - 2003

Postby Paul W. Baker » Mon May 23, 2016 12:09 pm

Further Update:

Saturday

Saturday was a difficult day for Bryan. He was navigating around and through Birmingham and found that the concentration needed to avoid the heavy traffic whilst trying to follow the route guide was extremely difficult, and he was not helped by the very wet weather. So he was very pleased to be joined by Carl Smith who accompanied Bryan through Birmingham and was able to keep his moral up at a difficult time.

On Saturday night he had a moral boosting treat with accommodation in a B&B on his route paid for by Mick Blakey, and he was able to attend to his blistered foot.

Sunday

On Sunday, feeling refreshed and with a good breakfast, Bryan set off once again. During the day he met up with his support team (SQMS Tony Wagstaff) and crossed some lovely countryside heading towards the Cotswolds and passing through Stow-on-the Wold. He said that it was a pleasure after the heavy traffic of the Birmingham area. Sunday evening was spent in the grounds of The Merry Mouth Inn, on the A424 north of Burford. He was fed and watered, compliments of Bill Prince and Mo Rudd the owners.

Monday

Bryan’s route today takes him through Wantage. He is tired, both physically and mentally, and has some blisters, but the legs are raring to go and he is in good spirits. He is looking forward to watching the FA Cup final that he has recorded and has avoided hearing the final score.

Bryan has raised £2628 so far.

Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Postby Bob_H » Mon May 23, 2016 4:10 pm

That's the SQMS Tony Wagstaff who is a Major :) ...and he's carrying our Regimental flag :)
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Paul W. Baker
Site Admin
RH 1991 - 1992
KRH 1992 - 2003

Postby Paul W. Baker » Mon May 23, 2016 5:47 pm

I think they refer to him as that in the capacity of his current role.

This is the KRH email - not my words.

Paul W. Baker
Site Admin
RH 1991 - 1992
KRH 1992 - 2003

Postby Paul W. Baker » Tue May 24, 2016 1:09 pm

Good morning all,

Bryan had another very good day yesterday, making great progress through the Cotswolds and heading towards Newbury. Physically he was feeling good and got a great boost from all the messages of support on his Facebook page, and of course all the very generous donations – Thank you.

Bryan posted this on his Facebook page this morning:

“Hawk on a walk starting today about 0730 from Crab and Boar which is SE of Egypt on the B4494. Told Waggy not to let me map read. Bacon barms 2 teas ready to roll. No rush today its only about 31 mile to Winchester so I can hopefully enjoy the sunshine and scenery. Come and give me a shout on route if you are near. Walking today slow pace at just under 4 mph. Bryan. Hussar”

This was the report on his FB page at 1030hrs this morning after he had met up with Chris Sym:

“Bryan is in Newbury, 26 miles to go, they will be stopping a few miles north of Winchester for the night. He will be putting on tonight timings for tomorrows arrival. They have Chris Sym with them today taking photos, so they might be popping up during the day.

Bryan is due to finish his challenge between midday and 1:00pm tomorrow, 25th May 2016, at HHQ, Peninsular Barracks, Winchester, SO23 8TS. This is during the visit of HRH Prince Micheal of Kent GCVO. If you are able, please come along to support and congratulate Hawk on a Walk.

HRH Prince Micheal of Kent GCVO (above)

As of this morning his total is a fantastic £3245.75. Thank you to everyone who has donated so far, if you wish to donate then follow this link (http://www.krh.org.uk/hawk-on-a-walk.html) to donate on-line, or cheques may be sent to HHQ (payable to “KRH Regimental Welfare Fund”) c/o the address below.

Major (Retd) S Penkethman | Assistant Regimental Secretary | The King's Royal Hussars | Home Headquarters | Peninsular Barracks | Winchester | SO23 8TS |

Paul W. Baker
Site Admin
RH 1991 - 1992
KRH 1992 - 2003

Postby Paul W. Baker » Tue May 24, 2016 2:23 pm

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Postby PINKY » Tue May 24, 2016 2:26 pm

Brilliant effort.
Hussar To Bri - that's a big 14/20 HUSSAR.
Pinky

Paul W. Baker
Site Admin
RH 1991 - 1992
KRH 1992 - 2003

Postby Paul W. Baker » Thu May 26, 2016 11:26 am

I watched an amazing effort by who I now consider to be an amazing man. All I could do to help was take a few pictures to record his efforts, do a few videos and keep asking him if he was OK.

Bryan Lythgoe managed to walk at some pace for a considerable amount of time that I saw, he managed to do that for several days.

Well done Bryan an amazing effort and over £3500 raised as I understood it so far for the Regimental Welfare Fund. If you have not sponsored him yet then please do, I have asked that the link remain on the KRH website for a few more days. Go to krh.org.uk and follow the Hawk on a Walk link.

Well done Bryan

Paul W. Baker
Site Admin
RH 1991 - 1992
KRH 1992 - 2003

Postby Paul W. Baker » Sat May 28, 2016 3:18 pm

New page added to the site: http://www.1420h.org.uk/hawkwalk.html

Return to “General Chat”