Quality has its price !

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Re: Quality has its price !

Postby Bill Bentley » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:48 am

Ged,

do you mean the bino's or an IR torch ?

I recall observing a suspected area with an IWS, down on the boarder, when all of a sudden everything became daylight. I was so shocked that I looked over the sight to see what was going on, nothing it was as dark as hell. Looking back through the sight, daylight again. Genuinely confused I woke up my nr. 2 and we both scanned with our IWS's to try and identify what was going on.

It turned out to be the RUC with an active IR torch, the effects were stunning ! We did not even carry active IR as it gives away your location. Passive IR is much harder to detect. Active IR can be picked up by anybody with an IR night scope, hunters, farmers etc. etc. and so is not to be recommended when purely observing.

I don't think that a normal fieldglass would detect active IR but I have never actually tested this point and no longer have the facillities ... perhaps somebody else can help ...

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin
Service Details: Joined the regiment from training Sept 70 joined B.Sqn Nov 70 in Hong Kong D Sqn in 77 Hq in 82 left in 92

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:11 pm

I remember picking up the IR beam from the tobias that used protect the back entrance to Mullenen farm along with the Dummy sentry in the Sanger that we had to go and talk to when on prowler with an IWS sight
Je n'oublierai pas

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Postby Arnie » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:03 am

Aah! Memories. talking about IR and binos reminds me of an incident in Germany in 1966. I was with the NBC/Int Section of 7 Armd Bde, at Soltau. Apprently two defectors, either from the East German Army or the Soviets divulged that they had been warned of some new 'Night Vision' equipment being tested in an area to North or Northeast of the River Elbe in the Dannzigger (?) area. The brass got all of a twitter and laid on some teams to watch what was going on. We did not know if it was IR or what. At the time we had very little IR detecting euipment in BAOR so all we were armed with were binos. I was in a team from the NBC/Int section. The team consisted of an Int Corps WO, a Tankie Sgt and me.
We were to go in after last light and withdraw before first light. No vehicle lights and it was stressed very covert. We went to a place just to the NW of a small village called Tiesmesland, where there was a Gravel Pit and Barge loading facility. We arrived and walked the last couple of hundred yards to the facility. When we got there we could see 2 Guard Towers on the other side, one about 200 yds to the E and another to the W at about the same distance. There was a bank of trees slightly obliquely across the river from where we were. It wasn't the best view so I climbed to the top of 20 or 30 foot gantry which carried a conveyor belt for the gravel. There was a magnificent view of a fair amount of real estate in East Germany.
In what I thought was whisper (stage) I called down to the others, "Hey! it's a great view up here". The words were hardly out of my mouth when a search-light came on in the Guards Tower directly opposite from where I was. We hadn't been able to see it as it was directly in front of the bank of trees, thereby providing no silhouette of the guard Tower. I was sitting on the top of the gantry with my legs dangling over the edge, so the spotlight was directly on me.
I felt like I was on stage and crept sheepishly down the gantry and we left. We did not report this incident to the higher- ups.
When Bill mentioned IR it brought back the memories and I looked up on Google Earth. The place is still there and the small bank of trees is still there 'sans' Guard tower.

Arnie :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Postby PINKY » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:20 pm

Wasn't the cold war so much fun........lol.
Great story.
Pinky

Mac McNulty
Site Admin
Service Details: January 1972 - August 1994

Postby Mac McNulty » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:55 pm

How did you know Pinkie you were always pissed!!!

Cheers Mac

PINKY

Postby PINKY » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:16 pm

I read about it on the bog..........AHEM.........weren't you part of the biggest beer drinking club in the world for about 22 plus years too? Also I was in your troop (SQMS's) for a while don't forget and your (A sqn - 1992) squadron...........lol.
ATB
Pinky

Mac McNulty
Site Admin
Service Details: January 1972 - August 1994

Postby Mac McNulty » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi Mate,

Selected Memory, I have always had that problem when it comes to my shortfalls!

Cheers Mac

PINKY

Postby PINKY » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:13 pm

See you in May.

Ged Preston
Service Details: 1967-1972 "A" Squadron 14/20th, Germany, Singapore, Johore Bahru(Jungle Warfare School), Borneo, Brunei and Northern Ireland.

Postby Ged Preston » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:09 am

Bill so sorry I've had massive problems with this Toshiba Laptop 8.1 Windows.

The fundamental thing that I was trying to convey, was the Infra-red that we had on our Tanks and later on in NI with our SLR's could they not be adapted to Binoculars ?,

Ged :lol: :)
Officer Commanding 67/15 intake at Catterick you lot are a bloody shambles a complete waste of Government money.

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Postby Bill Bentley » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:09 am

Ged,

there are such passive IR bino's on the market but if you expect the quality of the IWS (Individual Weapon Sight) you will have to dig deep. I have tried the cheapo versions and they are crap ! You need to think upwards of at least 2,500 pounds and the sky's the limit. So I simply have to accept that I can't justify that sort of outlay for what I want / need. The binos, 8 x 56, multi coated and gas filled, offer seriously good quality dawn and dusk viewing for about 1/10th of the price of a half-way good passive IR-nightsight.

Another point to remember is that active IR, as used on the tanks, is not safe ... when viewing you always catch people in the eyes and if the viewed person inadvertantly stares for just a few seconds into an active IR light, they will suffer damage to their sight. I was once given to understand that such powerful active IR, as used on the tanks, can even sterilize a person, whatever, it surely will not do them any good. I am not aware of such problems with passive IR but experience has made me wary that we only get told when it is too late and the damage is already done. So should you or anyone else ever own a pair of IR bino's lock them away from children ... who often look through bino's from the wrong end, the sharp end so to speak :( !

Return to “General Chat”