Harold Percival

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Bob_H
Site Admin
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Harold Percival

Post by Bob_H » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:18 am

Over 2,000 are expected to attend the funeral of Harold. Just shows that the great British public still care and still remember. God bless him.

Harold Jellicoe Percival, a distant relative of Spencer Perceval - the only British prime minister to be assassinated - helped with the famous Dambusters raids during the Second World War.

He died last month aged 99 in a nursing home.

Poignantly for the ex-military man, his funeral service will be held at 11am on Armistice Day.

But Mr Percival, who served as ground crew with RAF Bomber Command, never married, had no children and has no close family members able to attend the service at the Lytham Park Crematorium, Lytham St Annes, in Lancashire.
Attachments
harold.gif
harold.gif (118.38 KiB) Viewed 4788 times
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Geoff Hutch
Service Details: JLR RAC Sept64-Dec 66, 14/20H Jan67-june 92

Re: Harold Percival

Post by Geoff Hutch » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:14 am

Remembrance aquired a new meaning for me this weekend. I sat at the reunion dinner at a table with Dusty and Sheila Fog and the death of Mick Herbert came up. Mick was a good friend to me, as the new boy and worse still a boy soldier in 2nd troop A squadron January 1967, Paderbourne, it was Mick, who'd just transfered into the regiment, who befriended me and showed me the ropes. He was the operator on 12B wher I was the gunner, he introduced me to bake bean butties on the move across the tank bridge. I once carried him across my shoulder down the track to the snow queen hut after a paticularly good night out. My half troop had a night off from our patrols in Newry and were back at Gosford Castle where I had a pint with Mick just before he left on his last journey down to Newton Hamilton, he left with the promise of seeing me later. Dusty was with him on that last journey, I think we were both transported back those 40 years to that very night as we remembered the tragic events that led to his and Joe Cotton's deaths. Later talking with Trevor Batchelder and a new troop leader from the regiment I learned that Trevor had been Mr Williams Wynn's troop corporal. That night Trevor had been due to lead the troop on patrol but Mr Williams Wynn said, for what ever reason, he would lead. We all know what happened, he was hit in the head by a snipers bullet which then hit Lasher Hansell in the back. Again memories were came flooding back.These are just 3 of the cracking lads we've lost over the years, Rembrance Sunday this year has been special for me, at 11 am this morning lets all remember these pals of ours, perhaps they were not Angels on earth but hopefully they're with the Angels now.

tigger
Service Details: JLR RAC 1971-1972, 14/20 kh 1972 - 1992. Herford, Bovinton, Cyprus, Omagh, Warminster, Hohne, Croyden, Catterick, Manchester, Munster, NI tours, Gulf 1,

Post by tigger » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:19 am

Hi Geoff

I will stand and remember all our fallen at 1500 local time 1100 GMT

I remember the trip to Gosford Castle too. from our Base in the cop shop in Newry. (Mr. Weatherall Pepper and Scouse Highton from that time have passed) it was a good troop

Cheers Trev Jones

kevman
Service Details: RHQ, PADERBORN 1965 - 'A' SQN PADERBORN - SINGAPORE - TIDWORTH - N.I (3) 1968 - 71, RAC Parachute Regt- TIDWORTH - N.I. 1972, RTU-RHQ TIDWORTH - HERFORD 1973 - 1974.

Post by kevman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:57 pm

Hi Geoff,

As I stood at the Cenotaph I remember well our comrades lost in N.I. I also remember very well Lt Williams-Wynn when he joined us in A Squadron in Singapore. A good officer. R.I.P

Kev

Al Beveridge
Service Details: 14/20H 1965 - 1991

Post by Al Beveridge » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:52 am

Hi Geoff,

It's nice to hear from you and I hope you are well and in good health. I have just read your post about Mick Herbert, and I think time has muddled up the facts. Mick Herbert was stationed at Newcastle, County Down with my troop. He and Les Davey were our SHQ Operators in the police station. They were both returning from R & R when the tragic incident occured.

Lt Williams-Wynn was my Troop leader and I was the Troop Corporal, not Trevor Batchelder. The Squadron was based at Aldergrove. In our troop there were 10 of us, and we had 4 FSC's. I usually led all the patrols around Belfast because I was one of the volunteers who had just finished one tour and was picked to do a second tour back to back with the incoming Squadron, so I knew the streets quite well. As I said we had 4 FSC's, so every day a Cmdr and Dvr had a day off to do personal admin. It was mine and Rick Goodenough's day off, so Lt Williams-Wynn and Lash Hansell took my Ferret (00 FD/DD 13?) for the night patrol. It was on the rise of Shaw's Road, from a 3 storey block of flats roof that the incident happened. If I remember rightly, it was Robin Holland's Assault troop that came to the rescue.

Geoff Hutch
Service Details: JLR RAC Sept64-Dec 66, 14/20H Jan67-june 92

Post by Geoff Hutch » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi Al

Good to here from you, all's well here. Memories fade so some of the details were clearly wrong, having said that it was my last pint with a good mate and a cherished memory. As for the shooting it seems that we all got away with it with the sad exception of Mr Williams-Wynn.

Rick Goodenough

Post by Rick Goodenough » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:49 pm

Hi Al,

Sorry my friend it wasn't my day off on that tragic night. I was in the Ferret behind Lt Williams-Wynn and Jim Eadsforth was up top. When the gunfire started and there were a lot of rounds sent our way, I noticed Lasher's Ferret swerve a little and then he came over the radio to say that sunray had been wounded. We pulled over immediately and parked ourselves right under a street light. I remember Assault troop being asked to take out the street light and after firing 10 rounds without success Jim asked me to have a go with the old Sterling. It wasn't fun opening the hatch with bullets flying but after firing a couple of rounds I worked out that you have to hit the fitting and not the light itself. I took out two lights with 4 shots and had the barrel firmly fixed on a suspicious character on the steps to the flats hoping that he would start shooting, he unfortunately didn't oblige! I led the troop back to the hospital as the route wasn't clear to others and it was there that we were given the bad news!