Help required....

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
myfriend
Service Details: None, just trying to track down anyone that knew my friends dad, She never knew him, and he was killed while serving in ireland in 1972

Help required....

Postby myfriend » Sun May 12, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi All,

Do not know where to start really....

I am trying to help a very dear friend of mine.. She was born into the army, born on a camp in Germany as it happens, in 1970. In early 1972, her father was killed, apparently in some sort of road accident whilst serving in Northern Ireland. My friend was less than 2 years old at the time, and so obviously has to all intents and purposes, never met her father, and knows very little about him.

I have managed to find out how she can obtain her dads service record, [via the army themselves] courtesy of some extremely helpful people at the local TA base [100 Field Squadron, Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers]

However, she would very much like to hear from anyone that can remember him, or knew him, met him, served with him, or indeed can remember anything about him. I have all his details here [full name, number, dates etc], but at the moment i think it best just to say he was Sgt John Platt 14/20th Hussars and he died in early 1972.

If anyone can help in any way whatsoever, i know my dear friend will be eternally grateful..

Thank you all very much

john...

ALGY CAIN
Service Details: 1967-77. A and C Squadrons.

Re: Help required....

Postby ALGY CAIN » Mon May 13, 2013 1:50 am

I've deleted the last paragraph which I copied from N.I Vets Association site, which I thought was correct. Obviously reading Terry's account shows it wasn't.

Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Postby Bob_H » Mon May 13, 2013 7:17 am

myfriend wrote:However, she would very much like to hear from anyone that can remember him, or knew him, met him, served with him, or indeed can remember anything about him. I have all his details here [full name, number, dates etc], but at the moment i think it best just to say he was Sgt John Platt 14/20th Hussars and he died in early 1972.

I knew John quite well from our time together in Paderborn, Germany.

Throughout his time he was known as 'Ernie'. It's not unusual for names to be twisted in some way in the Army.

He was a very popular member of the regiment and I knew him from living close by him in flats in Elsen, and from our time together as signals instructors - we taught people the radio procedures used. A tall slim chap he had a good sense of humour and mixed well with everyone. Your friend has a lot to be proud of.
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Skype name: Brian Moulton

Postby Brian Moulton » Mon May 13, 2013 9:35 am

Knew Ernie well Benghazi, Perham Down & Paderborn. He features on some of my photos in the Gallery section on this site.

See Solly's photos:

Photo 039 Benghazi section
Photo 007 Paderborn section
Photo 012 Paderborn section
Photo 053 Paderborn section
Photo 058 Paderborn section

http://www.1420h.org.uk/Gallery/cpg15x/thumbnails.php?album=24

Hope this helps in your search.
Last edited by Bob_H on Mon May 13, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link inserted
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

If it's not broke ........ Mess about with it, until it is !!

Believe it or not. I'm not Jewish.
Just a very careful Christian with short arms and deep pockets !!

Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Postby Bob_H » Mon May 13, 2013 9:59 am

Ernie is 'No 12' in this photo from Solly:

Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Sam
Service Details: 19 Sept 1966 to 15 May 1989

Postby Sam » Mon May 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Ernie was a great Bloke and great to get on with lose that day he died.

Samuel P Harrison

DRAC
Service Details: 1961 TO 2001

Postby DRAC » Mon May 13, 2013 8:03 pm

It was a great pleasure to have served with Ernie in many parts of the world
He was a very loyal Hawk, well humoured and concientious member of the squadron, a very good athlete who represented the squadron and the regiment in helping us to achieve high standards in many sports.
Big Ernie was sadly taken from us , and was sorely missed and well remembered by the regiment
DRAC

Taff
Service Details: REME 1975-1988

Postby Taff » Mon May 13, 2013 8:32 pm

I didn't know Ernie, before my time with the regiment. Sounds like a good man.

RIP

Taff
If your officer's dead and the sergeants look white,
Remember it's ruin to run from a fight:
So take open order, lie down, and sit tight,
And wait for supports like a soldier.
Wait, wait, wait like a soldier . . .

Chopper
Service Details: 24012331 W R Griffiths
August 1964 to August 1986***Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth,
Aldergrove, Belize, Middle Wallop, Herford, Hohne, Canada, Detmold, N. Ireland
Middle Wallop, Discharge.

Postby Chopper » Mon May 13, 2013 9:38 pm

I knew Ernie initially from playing squadron and regimental rugby with him. Later in 1970 he was my troop sergeant in C Squadron when we went to N. Ireland. Chris Tottman was the full screw and I was the troop lance jack. One
morning we were returning from a night patrol in our ferrets when Ernies ferret overturned and he broke some ribs and punctured a lung. We couldn't give him any morphine as Ernie had the syrettes in his flak vest pockets and they were all crushed in the accident. Ernie was taken to hospital and I believe that he was sent to England to recover.
In January 1971 he returned to N. Ireland and while on light duties he volunteered for a ride with the RAF on a patrol around the perimeter of the camp, Ernie was in the front passenger seat. The horizontal rail of the fence they crashed into came over the bonnet and hit Ernie in the chest just where he had sustained his first injury, he didn't stand a chance. I was due to get married in May on our return to England and Ernie had agreed to be my best man.
I believe Ernie is buried in the military cemetery at Tidworth and his name is inscribed on the wall at the National Arboretum and Memorial in Staffordshire. Iv'e been there a few times and said a prayer or two for lost mates, Ernie was a mate.
Bill Griffiths

myfriend
Service Details: None, just trying to track down anyone that knew my friends dad, She never knew him, and he was killed while serving in ireland in 1972

Postby myfriend » Mon May 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi All,

I do not know what to say... What can I say, but thank you all so much. You have no idea what all this will mean to my dear dear friend and her family. It would not be fair for me to speak for her/them, but I will be seeing her on Thursday, and when she reads what you all have written she will be so... I cannot even begin to think of the words to describe it, but I am sure you will all know what I mean. I know that she will post a reply to you all....

So, what can I say for myself, apart from thank you all so much, and god bless the British Army and all those that served their county, both in times past, and those that serve at the present time. Heroes, every single one of you...

john lewis

Al Beveridge

Postby Al Beveridge » Tue May 14, 2013 1:01 am

To the best of my recollection, there was no enemy fire, or evasive action taken. It was, quite simply, a tragic traffic accident.

Terry Murphy
Service Details: JLR 1965-1967
14/20H, C Sqdn, 1967
Demob - 1989

Postby Terry Murphy » Tue May 14, 2013 3:48 am

I'd like to clarify the story, Ernie and I were good friends, when he came back to Aldergrove after his sick leave for broken ribs he asked me to go for a drink in Crumlin, a small village on the other side of the runway,as we were both stood down for the night we went. I'm pretty sure it wash his first day back.
We had a few pints and when we left we saw an RAF landrover at the back of the pub and the driver talking to a girl.We asked if he was going back to camp and could we get a lift.
As we approached the land rover I said to Ernie I'll get in first, which would mean me sitting on the battery box in the middle, and only being a L/Cpl it only seemed right.Ernie being his normal self said it's ok it's only a short trip and got in first leaving me to sit in the passenger seat.
The road back crossed the runway and had a stout wooden fence at either side to stop cars going onto the runway,
I don't know how it happened but suddenly we were off the road and ploughed into the fence.
Three lengths of wood came through the dash board, the first one grazed my side, the second hit me in the balls causing me to double up in pain and be violently sick. By the time I had recovered my wits the driver had got the veh. back on the road, it was very dark and the only light was from the dashboard but I could see Ernie was hurt.The third bit had hit him in the chest.
The driver did the right thing and and drove to the guard room,only a couple of minutes away.
I was taken away to be treated and didn't see Ernie again.About an hour later Maj. Harman came to tell that he had died from his injuries.
In March when we were back in Tidworth I was sent back to Antrim Court,the driver had been charged by the civilian police with dangerous /reckless driving , or something like that.He was given a small fine and banned for 3 months, which at the time pissed me off big time.
For quite a while after the event I felt very guilty, there is probrobly a name for that,by all accounts it should have been me sitting in the middle.
I would like to say to his family that you have every right to be proud of him,Ernie was a good soldier, a cracking bloke and a Gentleman.

Regards Terry

Brian Hunter
Service Details: 1967 - 1973
B Squadron

Postby Brian Hunter » Tue May 14, 2013 10:40 pm

I remember Ernie from Paderborn a real nice bloke

A photo of his headstone is available from the War Graves Photographic Project link below:-

http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=3506160
Ya can take lad out o' Preston, but ya can't take Preston out o' lad

Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Skype name: Brian Moulton

Postby Brian Moulton » Fri May 17, 2013 9:14 am

Notice that Ernie's daughter has registered and in her profile has appealed for information on Ernie's time in 14th/20th.

If you read this Deborah, welcome and don't be afraid to join in on here.

My memories of your dad (Benghazi and Paderborn mainly), are that he always seemed to be laughing and I don't think he took anything too seriously.

I have some images around that are already on here and maybe a couple more that aren't. I'll have a dig around and see what turns up. (Off to France for a month soon so, it may take some time).
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

If it's not broke ........ Mess about with it, until it is !!

Believe it or not. I'm not Jewish.
Just a very careful Christian with short arms and deep pockets !!

myfriend

Postby myfriend » Sat May 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Hi Debbie, Post a message and perhaps a photo too!!

john

Return to “General Chat”